• SQLBill,

Thanks for your note. The answer to your question is B. I'm trying to use Enterprise Manager to connect to a remote SQL Server. I am allowed to connect, via port 1433, but that isn't the issue. I have an internet access provider, COX,that is blocking traffic on port 1433 so I can't even get to the remote host. In the case where I could, I do have authentication and authrization information to use.

I learned since then that they have this port shut down for residential access but have it opened for business access. I'd have to switch my accounts in order to get through. Of course, it's a lot more expense and requires a 1 year contract. 😉

Hope that cleared it up.

quote:

I don't know about other readers, but I'm kinda confused.

I get these two:

1. You have SQL Server Personnal Edition on your home computer.

2. You have Enterprise Manager on your home computer.

But what I'm confused about is what are you trying to connect to?

a. YOUR SQL Server?

or

b. a REMOTE SQL Server?

If it's a, then you shouldn't be having any problems; it's all on the same computer.

If it's b, then YOUR SQL Server has nothing to do with it. Only Enterprise Manager counts at this point. In this case:

do you have permission to access the remote SQL Server?

which port is the remote SQL Server instance listening on?

If it's listening on 1433, you need to talk to whomever is in charge of the firewall, they need to permit your machine to have access. Port 1433 can't be blocked if they are allowing remote access, but they can block IP addresses from accessing Port 1433. If Port 1433 is really being blocked, then the remote location is not allowing ANY remote access.

-SQLBill