• quote:

Yes. Those are the companies that believe that you (as the lone DBA) will have plenty of free time.

In Texas the salary range is anywhere between $40K - $110K. If you can find a job, that is. I have seen "serious" ads for a laundry list of skills (DBA being just another one) and then finishing with "$45K - $50K a year (depending on skill level)".

Those are the same companies that give you "comp time" instead of OT. And they never find the time for you to use the comp time. Laughing, funny how that works.

I asked if I worked 65 hours one week would I be asked to work less the next week. "Oh, we would give you comp time." "That's nice. What does that mean?" "Compensation time. You can take a couple of hours off on a Friday for example." "A couple of hours? I work 25 extra hours and I might get 2 hours off?" "We don't give a 1-1 deal. You might work out a better deal after six months." "Thanks. I'll call you."

Patrick

I will say this, if you are a programmer they are now classifying that in most all cases as a non-exempt job. In fact Bank of America or some other bank was sued over this fact along with some other misclassification. The case started in California and there was a Fortune Magazine article proving the conditions required to meet Exempt status did not apply to programming.

Also, a big to do getting a lot of companies in trouble is it is illegal to use comp time if you are non-exempt (unless I got them backwards non-exempt is hourly) unless it is in the same pay week (40 hours then it is all overtime period and they cannot do otherwise). If you are hourly in the US and your company is using Comp Time as opposed to overtime (even if it you agree to it) they are breaking the law and can be sued (even both those who asked for comp time instead).

About 4 months ago they reclassified me as hourly and gave me 2 years back overtime (figure given by the government).

As for CompTime with Salary (exempt). It too does not exist, the law there just states you are salary based on a certain condition (has to do with ability to make decissions without concern for permission). If you work 40 or 100 or 2 as a salary person you get a set payment.

Just FYI.