• Steve,  I bet you had no idea of the controversy the Reagan posting would cause.  Sure, it's a diversion from the usual content, but one I know you meant simply out of respect for a passing American figure.

I followed up just to give you some support and add my comments, and didn't mean for it to be a partisan endorsement. Unfortunately, the whole thread, got way out of control, and some comments were uncalled for.

I chose not to take it any further, b/c I didn't want it to become, exactly what is has - a political debating forum. 

Personally, some of the postings were immature, ill-informed and misguided - but that's just my opinion.  And, the ones giving you heat, are definately uncalled for.

I mean, yes its a SQL Server technical site, but the Stock Exchange is closing down Friday out of its respect - what does the market have to do with his passing (other than he was a champion of the free market.)

And, therefore, you had the courage to do what you did, and the fact that everyone is expressing their free opinion, is testimony to the overall goodness of America's place throughout world history. 

I'm not wrapping myself in the flag but in this world there appear to be forces of good and evil (we also have a lot to answer for too), and there are powers and players on the world stage that have influence in events.  Sometimes, others do not want to recognize that we have done or strove to done good by committing ourselves to freedom and liberty.(even though not all policy implementations have always been altruistic or successful.)

Indeed, we need to be aware, especially in light of globalization, and that your forum caters to an international audience, that there are diverse opinions and views. 

America today, is in a precarious situation, (as well as modern civilization) where political correctness, jealousies and even hatred are threating our very existence.  Increasingly, our European friends are blurring the distinctions between American people and American government. Europe has forgotten the lessons of the past, and if we weren't there as a counterforce, would be doomed to repeat it. 

Europeans view themselves as extremely progressive and sophisticated, while they see America as a regressive, immature, even intellectually inferior society.  But I urge them to remember on which continent were the most two destructive World Wars started.

In that light, may there be peace on earth, and for all mankind to work together towards the common good and co-existence.

And tomorrow, we shall return to the common goal of helping our fellow SQL Server friends and counterparts. I hope I didn't overstate my point.