• Last year I started a thread that asked if anyone had actually been involved in a hiring decision where the certification made the difference. This might be an urban myth, or savvy propoganda from Microsoft. There were many responses, many of them claiming the same story as above, but it was always "I heard" or "Someone told me" - third, fourth, or fifth hand. After you have been a DBA for a period, there is no career value in certifications. If you are starting out - then maybe - but only if your current employer values certifications. If not, not.

Yes, I have almost all of the certifications. I have never been involved in the scenario mentioned. I have been hired because I have the skills necessary. I have not been interviewed soley based of my certifications - unless it was for a teaching position.

Yes, there is personal value in certifications. They expose you to many different aspects of database development and administration. You will know how to find the answers, which is half the battle. You will not be a database expert just because you passed the tests, but you will have a better idea of what it takes to be a database expert.

It's your decision.

Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue