• Scott,

DTS Packages are stored as COM structures, therefore you cannot search for texual entities in them.  The Structured Storage File is a collection of COM Structures.. meaning it can contain multiple versions of COM Structures.  Both are binary data.

The only out of the box method of giving you a psudo representation of the textual aspects of a DTS Package is to save it to a Visual Basic module option.

I had this same need, so i developed a VB.Net utility that would extract the details of all Connections, Steps, Precedence, Tasks  and all Active-X workflow and Task scripts (and apply line numbering and color-coding to these sections) and export the information to a DHTML Form Control.  The output can be a single or multiple Package selection from Server Storage repository.

I had never thought of distributing this utility, because it relies heavily on COM Interop to access the SQL-DMO and DTS Package objects and methods.  So you can write a utility that fits your needs, or I would send you a copy of the one i wrote, just don't ask me to support it because I only wrote it for my own needs at the time.

I have used this utility to extract all stored procedures called from ExecSQL and Active-X scripts in nearly 100 different DTS packages.  I'm not a big fan of reinventing the wheel.. so if you can use it, I'll be happy to send it.

Mike Gercevich

mgercevich-nospam@gmail.com (remove '-nospam')