Access Denied errors with scheduled jobs

• Hi,

I am fairly new to using DTS and I am having trouble with scheduling jobs. I get flat files dumped onto one of our servers and need these imported on a daily basis. I have set up DTS packages and scheduled them at various times. This has been working well for the last few months, but has suddenly stopped working since yesterday. The packages still run fine if I just execute them, but the scheduled jobs don't work.

When I checked the package logs I found the following error:

"Step Error Source: Microsoft Data Transformation Services Flat File Rowset Provider  Step Error Description:Error opening datafile: Access is denied.    Step Error code: 80004005  Step Error Help FileTSFFile.hlp  Step Error Help Context ID:0  "

I have scanned some forums which seem to suggest checking the SQLAgent account, but I am very new to this game and am not sure what exactly I should be looking for and where.

Help anyone?

Thanks in advance!

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Yes, this is most likely a security issue.  More than likely the account your SQLServerAgent is using no longer has access to the files you want to import.  To find out what account your Agent is using open Enterprise Manager, expand the server instance you are using, then the management folder, then right click on SQL Server Agent and choose properties.  The top section of this dialog box will show the Agent account either as a system account, or This account, with an account name specified.  Once you know which user you're talking about then we can proceed.  This could be due to a number of reasons.  Let's start with the most obvious and work from there.

Are these files directly on your server, or are they on a network drive (\\servername\sharename)?  If so, does the Agent account have access to the share, if so what level of access.  If the files are on a remote server you Agent should not be running as local system, because you will not be able to get to the files. 

Is the account expired or locked out?  This can cause issues as well.

Was a password changed recently that will affect any of this? 

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Hi,

I actually got a reply posted on one of the other threads (I created 3 by mistake... ). It ended up being a domain issue - for some reason server ops changed the domain of one of the servers and didn't tell anyone so the login failed.

Thanks tho!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply