Accessing SQL Server with other Client tools

• I have been working with SQL Server 2005 since 2 years and have always used SQL Server Management Studio to access it. I am in a new project and here they use SQL Teradata Assistant to access SQL Server 2005.

Though I have been able work my ways around I have noticed some t -sql commands like "print" and "go" do not work.

I want to know and convince my new team to get sql server management studio to work with SQL Server. Hence I need to know the cons of using the new tool instead of SQL Server Management studio.

• Guys, I need an answer in general. What can be the disadvantages of using any 3rd party tool other than sql server mgnt studio.. I dont answer specific to sql Teradata only

please reply to my post.. its urgent

• I cannot see any problems with using 3-rd party client tools if they bring any benefits.

However, why using 3-rd party client tools should stop you from using SSMS?

Is it some sort of company "policy" from idiotic policy-makers?

How to post your question to get the best and quick help[/url]

• itskanchanhere, we are all volunteers here and post in our spare time so please do be patient if you dont get a responce straight away.

i would say use the right tool for the job, if SQL Teradata Assistant does what it needs to do then fine, if not then use SSMS.

as its MSSQL i would use SSMS, its designed and packaged with MSSQL so why not use it, ive worked in a mixture of platforms in one environment before and always used the platforms own SQL tools to manage that platform

• itskanchanhere (3/15/2012)

Guys, I need an answer in general. What can be the disadvantages of using any 3rd party tool other than sql server mgnt studio.. I dont answer specific to sql Teradata only

please reply to my post.. its urgent

You have to remember that we're all volunteers. We don't get paid to hang out here and answer questions. We answer questions when we have the time. Unless you are willing to pay, you have to be satisfied with that.

Also, you have to give people time to respond. You only posted your original question about an hour ago. Many people may not have even had a chance to read your question, let alone respond to it.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• You only posted your original question about an hour ago. Many people may not have even had a chance to read your question, let alone respond to it.

Look! It's a lunch time in Europe at the end!

:hehe:

• the fact that "print" and "go" do not work proves that SQL Teradata is not compatible with SQL Server. Am I right??

• itskanchanhere (3/15/2012)

the fact that "print" and "go" do not work proves that SQL Teradata is not compatible with SQL Server. Am I right??

1. Yes, for "Print" as it's T-SQL command. But what do you mean it doesn't work? Does it produce an error or you just cannot see the result of it?

2. Yes and No, "Go" is not a T-SQL statement, but a command recognised by the SQL Server utilities (sqlcmd, osql and SSMS) its signals the end of a batch of T-SQL statements. Saying that, decent SQL Server client tool should support it. May be there is some setting in the tool you need to turn on to allow it?

Again, I cannot see a valid reason why to deny use of SSMS...

3-rd party tool may help but why cutting-off originals?

• yes, Print gives an error stating unknown keyword or something..

And may be SSMS is not free and Teradata is.. tat is y its use is limited.. ??

• Anyways the question still remains.. is SSMS the best option or other clients tools should work just fine.. and y?? I need proper reason here to justify myself..

• SSMS is distributed with SQL Server, no extra cost as long as each user having it installed is licensed (which has to be true of tools as well). It is written specifically to be used with MS SQL Server so it integrates with it better than some other tools.

• can you do everything you can do in SSMS in the TeraData app?

stuff like creat logins/alerts/jobs/linked servers/policy based management as well as everything else that you can do in SSMS? If not then SSMS is the tool for you, if you can then does it matter which on you use, its personal preference

for example I have a powerpack for PowerShell which integrates with SQL, does it do everything I need it to, no it doesn't but I have SSMS to fall back to but its handy when I'm developing PowerShell scripts which interact with the database.

• I don't think there is an argument to be made here either way.

SSMS, for the company, is a no cost option if they have valid Sql Server Licences. It makes little sense to me that they would insist on your not using it.

Moreso, there are not many third party tools that integrate as well or as exhaustively with Sql Server as SSMS.

I think you may need to find out why they don't use it, post your findings here, if you can, and may be we might be able to help debunk what might be one or more

myths.

• Thanks everyone .. I had never though SSMS to be different from Sql Server.. So when I was given this new tool, i got pretty confused. I get the point now..

• we are all volunteers here and post in our spare time so please do be patient if you dont get a responce straight away.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply