Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Luke L (5/19/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (5/19/2010)

I could have done the 3G thing, but then I lose connectivity to my work network. I kinda need to get other things done too.;-)

Nah you just hafta get creative with your routing rules. Send all your web traffic out the 3G and everything else out your wired NIC.

Route Add is your friend.

Edit: 'Course your network Security folks might frown on that approach...

They might - I've been told they work for the Russian Mafia too.

Part of the creativity is to only use it when there is some big reason like 24 HOP.

I'm gonna have to play with that. I would need to be able to enable disable the routes based on whether the card is plugged in or not.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (5/19/2010)

That would be nice - I only have the laptop. (p.s. I wasn't insinuating that you had nothing else to do. I re-read my last post and it looks like it could be interpreted that way.)

Dont worry about that. I never thought of it like that. 🙂 Currently I am doing just reviews and managing the projects. Not much monitoring.

-Roy

• Well I missed it as well, missing it actually with a day off, chores, and family coming in town. This is my 5 minutes before my brother and nephews arrive.

I did hear things will be recorded and available later.

• Steve Jones - Editor (5/18/2010)

No, but Sybase uses T-SQL, so there will be some familiarity with the language and syntax. Thats' about it.

And... IIRC, both are based on the Rushmore engine and SQL Server actually sprung from the loins of Sybase (or so the rumore goes :-P). Obviously, they've taken different upgrade paths over time but my understanding from other is that it doesn't take a whole lot to move from one to the other so far as coding goes. Like Steve pointed out, they both use T-SQL.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• My plans of using my laptop got blocked too.:angry:

I better plan ahead better next time.

Maybe if they could send out a reminder a couple days ahead, a lot more wouldn't find they were shut out at the last minute.

Easy to overlook, especially when most have no knowledge of what's being blocked.

Greg E

• I love Paul's first reply to this Fair play to the OP, at least he added attachments;-)

• rjohal-500813 (5/20/2010)

I love Paul's first reply to this Fair play to the OP, at least he added attachments;-)

It made me smile :laugh:

• And now for something completely different...for anyone on this thread from Toronto or who commutes to Toronto, are you ready for the G20 summit this June and have you made plans to work downtown, if at all? I heard it's going to be a nightmare. May work from home that day.

Gaby

• Advice requested -

trying to develop a searcheable db of our available reports for end users, including description, author, screenshots, blah blah blah.

We have a standard documentation template that is supposed to be used on all scripts, and we save them on the file system.

Wanted to parse through them and grab the documentation info for the db.

Not having tried this before, and therefore not having tainted my mind with any one tool, should I use PowerShell? Perl? Something else? (a temp... lol)

------

on a side note, I'm going through information withdrawal, I haven't had virtual training for HOURS now....

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• GabyYYZ (5/20/2010)

And now for something completely different...for anyone on this thread from Toronto or who commutes to Toronto, are you ready for the G20 summit this June and have you made plans to work downtown, if at all? I heard it's going to be a nightmare. May work from home that day.

Nope don't work/live in Toronto but I can tell you that numerous friends of mine that work in Pittsburgh decided not to make the trip in to the office when the G20 met in Pittsburgh this year. Some of that was mandated by employers, some employers left the decision up to the employees but the majority of folks not involved in the Summit just didn't go in that day and it worked out to just about everyone's benefit.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Jack Corbett (5/19/2010)

Quiet in here today. Everyone at 24 HOP?

Yep... I took the week off, and among all the chores I had a list of 13 sessions I wanted to attend. Missed all of the ones during the night / early morning... just too tired to bother with after all of the chores. Disappointed in a few, but most were very good!

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• That highlighting a keyword and hitting Shift+F1 actually gets you to BOL and positions you at the keywords help topic.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

Thanks! I'm good!

• jcrawf02 (5/20/2010)

Advice requested -

trying to develop a searcheable db of our available reports for end users, including description, author, screenshots, blah blah blah.

We have a standard documentation template that is supposed to be used on all scripts, and we save them on the file system.

Not having tried this before, and therefore not having tainted my mind with any one tool, should I use PowerShell? Perl? Something else? (a temp... lol)

------

on a side note, I'm going through information withdrawal, I haven't had virtual training for HOURS now....

Not SSIS to load and cleanse the info and then store it in the db? That way you could easily check for dups as well, or keep a table of what's loaded, skip those filenames if the datestamp is older than what you've stored.

• WayneS (5/20/2010)

Jack Corbett (5/19/2010)

Quiet in here today. Everyone at 24 HOP?

Yep... I took the week off, and among all the chores I had a list of 13 sessions I wanted to attend. Missed all of the ones during the night / early morning... just too tired to bother with after all of the chores. Disappointed in a few, but most were very good!

I took the day off, with family in town, but while waiting for some people to show up, I caught the last 15 minutes of Ms. Moss and SSRS and the first 15 of Simon Sabin and high performance functions.

• Steve Jones - Editor (5/20/2010)

jcrawf02 (5/20/2010)

Advice requested -

Not SSIS to load and cleanse the info and then store it in the db? That way you could easily check for dups as well, or keep a table of what's loaded, skip those filenames if the datestamp is older than what you've stored.

Can SSIS parse through each and every file and look for key words? I do not know much about SSIS. So I am asking the question. PS is not bad to go through your files and parse for keywords.

-Roy

Viewing 15 posts - 15,376 through 15,390 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply