Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (5/20/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (5/20/2010)

Looking for insight / opinions on this.

I was searching for the SQLSat Utah information and came across this blog. I am uncertain if it is RSS'd or if they syndicated from SSC or what. It makes me wonder. Anybody have any thoughts on it?

I somehow don't think Kimberly agreed to be syndicated on an unknown site.

http://www.sqlblogs.net/?cat=762

Um... <snigger>

http://www.sqlblogs.net/?cat=563

That is too funny. I doubt Aaron consented as well.

So at best, it seems that the site is questionable. I think the intent may be good, but pursued in the wrong way.

At least if you click on the title of each blog on that site, you will be taken to the original content.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Jack Corbett (5/20/2010)

I was searching for the SQLSat Utah information and came across this blog. I am uncertain if it is RSS'd or if they syndicated from SSC or what. It makes me wonder. Anybody have any thoughts on it?

Looks like they are grabbing the RSS from SSC. On the right side where they list contributors they list SSC and the other sites that they are getting content from. I think it's borderline because they never asked me if they could grab my stuff and other sites like SSC and SQLServerPedia ask first.

I don't believe it's borderline at all. I believe that it's outright copyright infringement because, to the best of my knowledge, they weren't given permission to republish a cotten pickin' thing from a copyrighted site. It's no better than the other site except that no one is actually claiming (by omission) that they wrote it .

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• CirquedeSQLeil (5/20/2010)

GilaMonster (5/20/2010)

Um... <snigger>

So at best, it seems that the site is questionable. I think the intent may be good, but pursued in the wrong way.

At least if you click on the title of each blog on that site, you will be taken to the original content.

I wouldn't say it's questionable. It's outright copyright infringement because they have not gotten permission to republish a bloody thing.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (5/20/2010)

GilaMonster (5/20/2010)

Um... <snigger>

I wouldn't say it's questionable. It's outright copyright infringement because they have not gotten permission to republish a bloody thing.

You're right. The more I think about it, the less I can conceive that it isn't copyright infringement.

Learn Extended Events

• GilaMonster (5/20/2010)

Um... <snigger>

Ha! Hoisted by their own petard!

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• I can see where folks would be upset by the site and I'm sure Adam won't be happy when he sees SQLBlog being syndicated there. Y'all are probably right and it is wrong because it IS using other people's content without permission. I just tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. Probably the biggest problem is that it is sites like this are why people don't include their whole post in their feed.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• I think I would be fine with it even now if they came back and asked permission. The problem is they are pulling the feed without permission from the SSC syndication. Maybe Steve can change the feed settings to exclude the entire post in the feed.

Learn Extended Events

• All the stolen content seems to have been removed.

There is some comment on the action taken on the home page http://www.sqlblogs.net/

I'm glad this was stomped on so quickly - but it amazed me that people still think this sort of thing is ok.

Personally, I don't give a fig about the guy's intention - he should have sought permission first, simple as.

• @paul-2, just noticing your signature again and curious when the next part of "Server Side Paging" is due for publication. Any idea?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Paul White NZ (5/21/2010)

All the stolen content seems to have been removed.

There is some comment on the action taken on the home page http://www.sqlblogs.net/

I'm glad this was stomped on so quickly - but it amazed me that people still think this sort of thing is ok.

Personally, I don't give a fig about the guy's intention - he should have sought permission first, simple as.

Yes. He acted quickly on it. That was good. It was amazing how many people from whom content was copied.

Learn Extended Events

• Jan Van der Eecken (5/21/2010)

@Paul, just noticing your signature again and curious when the next part of "Server Side Paging" is due for publication. Any idea?

This coming Monday (24th), Jan 🙂

• Paul White NZ (5/21/2010)

Jan Van der Eecken (5/21/2010)

@Paul, just noticing your signature again and curious when the next part of "Server Side Paging" is due for publication. Any idea?

...can't.....resist......

...Monday's not the 24th of January....

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (5/21/2010)

Paul White NZ (5/21/2010)

Jan Van der Eecken (5/21/2010)

...can't.....resist......

...Monday's not the 24th of January....

This coming Monday (24th), Jon 😀

• Steve, I know you are taking a few days off, but when you get back you might want to check out this site: http://www.nexag.ch/fs_news.aspx?vPar1=50000200001

It seems to be taking the SSC blog feed and just displaying it.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Kinda funny seeing JAson's Plagerized blog post as the third or 4th one down the list...

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 15,406 through 15,420 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply