Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Richard Gardner-291039 (6/3/2010)

I personally find the following entirely helpful when faced with stupid questions (although I'm possibly guilty of it myself at times)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=SQL+Server+2005+Delete+Query+Syntax

Stupid Question #345: Why can't I get the hyperlink syntax to work properly πŸ˜‰

Does this help? πŸ˜›

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Well I'm glad that's sorted out πŸ˜‰

• CirquedeSQLeil (6/2/2010)

Sounds like a conversation I had recently.

Me: Why are we doing it that way?

other: Because it is being done this way.

Me: Why can't we do it this way?

other: Because we are doing it this way.

I'd like to hear that occasionally. I'm constantly barraged with "We've been doing it this way for 10 years..."

Like doing something stupid for a long time makes it smart.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (6/3/2010)

I'd like to hear that occasionally. I'm constantly barraged with "We've been doing it this way for 10 years..."

Like doing something stupid for a long time makes it smart.

Or... we've been using cursors for 10 years 'cause there wasn't any other way to do it.

Maybe then, but now?

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• It's always a balance, right? Sometimes the old ways work well and changing for the sake of change isn't worth it. Sometimes you need to move on.

It's a question of understanding when it's worth changing.

• True, but it's not until you try and change something you find out which is which....

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/3/2010)

It's always a balance, right? Sometimes the old ways work well and changing for the sake of change isn't worth it. Sometimes you need to move on.

Agreed. I don't typically propose change unless the process is really bad, slow or causes problems (and occasionally I will tinker with something that seems slow and see if I can make it go faster - even if it is just a nominal gain).

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/3/2010)

It's always a balance, right? Sometimes the old ways work well and changing for the sake of change isn't worth it. Sometimes you need to move on.

Yes but, let's face it, if something was good, useful and smart, the answer to why you should continue doing this good/useful/smart thing would not be "We've been doing it for 10 years." You might be able to suggest reasons why it was good/useful/smart, not simply old.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (6/3/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (6/3/2010)

Yes but, let's face it, if something was good, useful and smart, the answer to why you should continue doing this good/useful/smart thing would not be "We've been doing it for 10 years." You might be able to suggest reasons why it was good/useful/smart, not simply old.

If it was good enough for Grams, then it should be good enough for me - right?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (6/3/2010)

If it was good enough for Grams, then it should be good enough for me - right?

Who, Gramps - that sly old dog?? πŸ˜‰

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• I agree, if you want to defend your decisions, you need reasons. I'll say I've defended a practice multiple times to new people, and eventually started telling people that "we do it because" and telling them to watch for a bit, learn what we've done, and then offer suggestions.

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/1/2010)

There are quite a few people here with Oracle skills, including Jeff. I'm not sure Jeff wants to help with Oracle, but worth a try.

I help people a lot with Oracle... I suggest they migrate to SQL Server. πŸ˜€

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (6/3/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (6/1/2010)

There are quite a few people here with Oracle skills, including Jeff. I'm not sure Jeff wants to help with Oracle, but worth a try.

WooW what a big help - :hehe::cool::w00t:;-):-D

============================================================
    SELECT YOUR PROBLEM FROM SSC.com WHERE PROBLEM DESCRIPTION =
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]

• Jeff Moden (6/3/2010)

I expect no other help from you, Jeff. :hehe:

• Jeff Moden (6/3/2010)

Seems like good advice to me. And for this, they pay you $250/hr?

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

Viewing 15 posts - 15,631 through 15,645 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply