Are the posted questions getting worse?

• WayneS (6/3/2010)

Jeff Moden (6/3/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (6/1/2010)

There are quite a few people here with Oracle skills, including Jeff. I'm not sure Jeff wants to help with Oracle, but worth a try.

I help people a lot with Oracle... I suggest they migrate to SQL Server. 😀

Seems like good advice to me. And for this, they pay you $250/hr?

I need to get in on that gig. :w00t:

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I'm sure they would pay $250/hr for 7 sec of advice. 😛

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/3/2010)

I'm sure they would pay $250/hr for 7 sec of advice. 😛

7 sec is the long version. Maximize profits and just give the short version.:-D

Learn Extended Events

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/3/2010)

I'm sure they would pay $250/hr for 7 sec of advice. 😛

Minimum 4 hour 😀

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Jeff Moden (6/3/2010)

I've seen very little of that "O" thing, but, so far, that's the best advice I could give.

[BEGIN RANT]

If I was asked one word to describe Oracle, I would say "clumsy". To make it work you have to tickle hundreds of tiny text configuration files with documented and undocumented flags and vars.

Moreover, I love their support: I opened a service request 40 days ago and they keep on asking the same log files over and over, without solving the issue.

Whenever you call their phone support number, they answer in a different language. Yesterday it was French, last week it was English and two weeks ago it was Italian.

When I started working with it, I had the impression of a "liquid" product, while I could say SQLServer is "solid". I don't mean it in terms of reliability, it's just in terms of manageability.

[END RANT]

Ow... I'd better stop complaining, I'll have to live with it.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (6/4/2010)

Jeff Moden (6/3/2010)

I've seen very little of that "O" thing, but, so far, that's the best advice I could give.

[BEGIN RANT]

If I was asked one word to describe Oracle, I would say "clumsy". To make it work you have to tickle hundreds of tiny text configuration files with documented and undocumented flags and vars.

Moreover, I love their support: I opened a service request 40 days ago and they keep on asking the same log files over and over, without solving the issue.

Whenever you call their phone support number, they answer in a different language. Yesterday it was French, last week it was English and two weeks ago it was Italian.

When I started working with it, I had the impression of a "liquid" product, while I could say SQLServer is "solid". I don't mean it in terms of reliability, it's just in terms of manageability.

[END RANT]

Ow... I'd better stop complaining, I'll have to live with it.

My current project is in Oracle and I have to say that is 'orrible. I feel like I am constantly jumping through hoops to get the simplest thing done. However this is probably down to me having an MSSQL mindset after working with it for over a decade. Likewise Oracle people probably have similar feelings to MSSQL if they have to move to it.

However they would be wrong:-P

• rjohal-500813 (6/4/2010)

Likewise Oracle people probably have similar feelings to MSSQL if they have to move to it.

Maybe. What I heard of MSSQL from Oracle DBAs is that they consider it a "toy".

They usually think it's simple to administer and it doesn't need a true DBA.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• How about some input from fellow Threadizens on Who physically maintains your servers?

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Trolling for assistance from the denizens of The Thread.

Any guidance, insights, thoughts are greatly appreciated.

• Now here is an OP ... hmmmm

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic932864-8-1.aspx#bm932955

timmynew11

Thanks, but i figured out my issue with a cartesian join. It appears you have too much time on your hands to post an article on the proper way to post data and code for someone to be able to help. An experienced guru should be able to read anything, not have something properly laid out with comments and everything. Obviously you don't seem to work in the real world where time is an issue.

My guess is that the OP thinks his/her time is more important than anyone elses... oh well so be it.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Nice one - I find it somewhat amusing.

Learn Extended Events

• Lynn Pettis (6/4/2010)

Trolling for assistance from the denizens of The Thread.

Never mind (at least for now) as the problem with the server turned out to be bad memory. If anyone still wants to provide any useful feedback, however, that would be good for others that may find themselves in a similar situation.

• Lynn Pettis (6/4/2010)

Lynn Pettis (6/4/2010)

Never mind (at least for now) as the problem with the server turned out to be bad memory. If anyone still wants to provide any useful feedback, however, that would be good for others that may find themselves in a similar situation.

Yeah, my bad memory usually gets me too.

I think.

• Chad Crawford (6/4/2010)

Lynn Pettis (6/4/2010)

Lynn Pettis (6/4/2010)

I think.

What were we talking about?

HAHA - just did the same routine with my wife last night. She was sending me to the store without a list. That was funny - made her repeat the list 4 or 5 times

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (6/4/2010)

Chad Crawford (6/4/2010)

Lynn Pettis (6/4/2010)

Lynn Pettis (6/4/2010)

I think.

What were we talking about?

HAHA - just did the same routine with my wife last night. She was sending me to the store without a list. That was funny - made her repeat the list 4 or 5 times

You're a braver man than I. Of course, there's a fine line between courage and divorce...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

Viewing 15 posts - 15,646 through 15,660 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply