Are the posted questions getting worse?

• jcrawf02 (6/4/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (6/4/2010)

Chad Crawford (6/4/2010)

Lynn Pettis (6/4/2010)

Lynn Pettis (6/4/2010)

Trolling for assistance from the denizens of The Thread.

Any guidance, insights, thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Never mind (at least for now) as the problem with the server turned out to be bad memory. If anyone still wants to provide any useful feedback, however, that would be good for others that may find themselves in a similar situation.

Yeah, my bad memory usually gets me too.

I think.

What were we talking about?

HAHA - just did the same routine with my wife last night. She was sending me to the store without a list. That was funny - made her repeat the list 4 or 5 times

You're a braver man than I. Of course, there's a fine line between courage and divorce...

Ahh, but she knew I was joking. If she wasn't willing to play around too, I would have stopped sooner.:cool:

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Gianluca Sartori (6/4/2010)

rjohal-500813 (6/4/2010)

Likewise Oracle people probably have similar feelings to MSSQL if they have to move to it.

Maybe. What I heard of MSSQL from Oracle DBAs is that they consider it a "toy".

They usually think it's simple to administer and it doesn't need a true DBA.

Yeah MSSQL is much simpler to use, it is user friendly 🙂

When I tried to learn Oracle, I went through all this stages:

1. Unrestrained optimism

2. Informed pessimism

3. Panic

4. Denial

5. Despair

6. Utter despair

7. Misery and famine

😀

Wish you all the best in learning "O".

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

• In a source control session at SQL Saturday #22. Surprising that quite a few people don't use an VSC for their SQL Code.

What do you guys use? Manual versioning?

• TFS for us currently.

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (6/5/2010)

TFS for us currently.

ditto

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/5/2010)

In a source control session at SQL Saturday #22. Surprising that quite a few people don't use an VSC for their SQL Code.

Have used different things at different times, most recently VSS. When I join a new outfit getting SQL under proper source control might be one of the first things I do, depending on what source management already exists.

Tom

• Tom.Thomson (6/6/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (6/5/2010)

In a source control session at SQL Saturday #22. Surprising that quite a few people don't use an VSC for their SQL Code.

When I join a new outfit getting SQL under proper source control might be one of the first things I do, depending on what source management already exists.

That is a nice goal. Though we use TFS company wide - I am still trying to get a person on my team to use it. She is resistant to using source control other than her own personal idea of source control (I don't think she even knows what she does for it).

Learn Extended Events

CVS. The old but reliable CVSNT.

It's very easy to use, especially with TortoiseCVS as client.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Amazing how some people will continue to defend their code even when shown it is inefficient.

• CirquedeSQLeil (6/5/2010)

TFS for us currently.

TFS on the current project, SubVersion on the previous and VSS on the one before (my, I hated that one).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• For those of you'll using TFS... how do you migrate from Dev through Prod?

Our configuration management team is trying to get us to "just do a build and move everything". I'm very reluctant to do this... I'm afraid that dev **** will end up in prod unless we can have a way to "cherry-pick" what is going up. I'm curious how you'll work around this.

Thanks!

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (6/7/2010)

For those of you'll using TFS... how do you migrate from Dev through Prod?

Our configuration management team is trying to get us to "just do a build and move everything". I'm very reluctant to do this... I'm afraid that dev **** will end up in prod unless we can have a way to "cherry-pick" what is going up. I'm curious how you'll work around this.

Thanks!

We have a QA team that will test the applications. The database stuff (schema) go through me. Procs sometimes go through me - and that is getting better. It is a slow process of education. Get the dev team up to speed enough that you can trust their stuff and then spot check a proc here or there to quality control their stuff.

Learn Extended Events

• Jan Van der Eecken (6/7/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (6/5/2010)

TFS for us currently.

TFS on the current project, SubVersion on the previous and VSS on the one before (my, I hated that one).

We tried using VSS about 8 years ago on a project with multiple people on multiple domains.

It didn't work very well for us. I got pretty good at removing it from a project / solution.

We were just talking about trying something again. Hopefully we'll find a tool that works better for us. Maybe TFS is better.

Greg E

In a source control session at SQL Saturday #22. Surprising that quite a few people don't use an VSC for their SQL Code. What do you guys use? Manual versioning?

TortoiseHg, TortoiseSVN, VSS, and manual versioning at present (on different systems).

I don't much care which one is used (so long as it works).

The bigger problem is the changes that are made, not the system that remembers them 🙂

• CirquedeSQLeil (6/7/2010)

...Procs sometimes go through me - and that is getting better. It is a slow process of education. Get the dev team up to speed enough that you can trust their stuff and then spot check a proc here or there to quality control their stuff.

You're a brave man. I never allow database changes up unless they have been reviewed by a DBA. Not even 'emergency' changes.

It's far too easy for something dumb to end up in production otherwise - even testing has its limits, since volumes are often not large enough to expose some potential problems. There's really no substitute for a once-over from a DBA.

Viewing 15 posts - 15,661 through 15,675 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply