Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/5/2010)

In a source control session at SQL Saturday #22. Surprising that quite a few people don't use an VSC for their SQL Code.

What do you guys use? Manual versioning?

TFS and before that VSS. If you're not managing your database code in some form of source control, you're not a professional. It's that simple.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• *** never mind ***

• Paul White NZ (6/8/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (6/7/2010)

...Procs sometimes go through me - and that is getting better. It is a slow process of education. Get the dev team up to speed enough that you can trust their stuff and then spot check a proc here or there to quality control their stuff.

You're a brave man. I never allow database changes up unless they have been reviewed by a DBA. Not even 'emergency' changes.

It's far too easy for something dumb to end up in production otherwise - even testing has its limits, since volumes are often not large enough to expose some potential problems. There's really no substitute for a once-over from a DBA.

Previous employer - nothing was allowed into prod without going through me.

Here, the developers "owned" the code and I am still trying to change that culture since it would be in the database. I am also discovering daily little back doors that they have and am shutting them down. Since code is not moved into production by me - it is a little more difficult. But, that is changing.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Anyone understand what is being asked here? I've spent as long as I want to trying to figure out what he actually wants. We now have sample data and sample results, but I'm still confused :hehe:

Forever trying to learn
    My blog - http://www.cadavre.co.uk/
    For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
    For better, quicker answers on SQL Server performance related questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• skcadavre (6/8/2010)

Anyone understand what is being asked here? I've spent as long as I want to trying to figure out what he actually wants. We now have sample data and sample results, but I'm still confused :hehe:

Just an opinion - I don't think he understands the requirements any more than you do, and is hoping that you or Paul will make sense of it as well as coding it up.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Can anyone take a look at this one?

I'm sure my solution sucks and I'm pretty sure the OP is lost and clueless.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• skcadavre (6/8/2010)

Anyone understand what is being asked here? I've spent as long as I want to trying to figure out what he actually wants. We now have sample data and sample results, but I'm still confused :hehe:

The problem is impossible to solve in real life. Yes, the insert order in a heap like a table variable will allow what looks like an ordered process to occur but there's no guarantee that the "wrap" will occur as anticipated simply because there is nothing temporal nor anything that will actually preserve the insert order of the rows. I made an entry on the same subject on that post.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Gianluca Sartori (6/8/2010)

Can anyone take a look at this one?

Well after that ringing endorsement, let me get right on that :-D:-P

I'm not touching that one unless the OP adds some data, looks like you've already given him a couple good ideas.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (6/8/2010)

Gianluca Sartori (6/8/2010)

Can anyone take a look at this one?

Well after that ringing endorsement, let me get right on that :-D:-P

I'm not touching that one unless the OP adds some data, looks like you've already given him a couple good ideas.

I believe GOPI is on the right track... just needs to reverse the positions of the alpha and numeric test data to match the original post.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Gianluca Sartori (6/4/2010)

rjohal-500813 (6/4/2010)

Likewise Oracle people probably have similar feelings to MSSQL if they have to move to it.

Maybe. What I heard of MSSQL from Oracle DBAs is that they consider it a "toy".

They usually think it's simple to administer and it doesn't need a true DBA.

BWAA-HAAA!!!! Of course they're right! If you ever think they're wrong, just ask them. 😛

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (6/8/2010)

skcadavre (6/8/2010)

The problem is impossible to solve in real life. Yes, the insert order in a heap like a table variable will allow what looks like an ordered process to occur but there's no guarantee that the "wrap" will occur as anticipated simply because there is nothing temporal nor anything that will actually preserve the insert order of the rows. I made an entry on the same subject on that post.

That's pretty much what I thought, which is why I kept doggedly asking if the month comes from another table with a DATETIME column. The only way I could think of to solve it would be to look at the different between smallest number and largest number, if it was greater than say 5, then count the largest number as the earliest and wrap around otherwise count the smallest number as the smallest. Whilst I think that would've solved the sample data, I just felt it would run into problems later.

Forever trying to learn
    My blog - http://www.cadavre.co.uk/
    For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
    For better, quicker answers on SQL Server performance related questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• In 2 days the madness begins, and the whole world will catch the fever.

Are you ready for some football!?!? (...pun inteded... 🙂 )

Gaby

• GabyYYZ (6/9/2010)

In 2 days the madness begins

Madness began at midday today.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Lock your doors, Gail.

Oh wait... that hasn't helped in the past, as I recall.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• I do not think Gail is worried about those guys. She will kick their Back side from there to hell if she has to... :hehe:

-Roy

Viewing 15 posts - 15,676 through 15,690 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply