Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I'm not going to try and answer many of the questions, comments, or concerns regarding soccer (football everywhere else in the world).

Here, however, is my two-cents.

Soccer is a simple game made complex by coaches (don't remember who actually said this, but a good starting pont). Soccer is governed by 18 Laws of the Game, 17 published, one unpublished. I was going to list them all, but decided not to do that here. I'll leave it as an exercise for others to tell me what Law 18 is.

Unlike many sports, soccer is a players sport. It is meant to be played with as little interference from the officials (refs), coaches, or spectators. This is why you don't see any signals to tell coaches or spectators what fouls have been called, or what a yellow or red card is being issued for. All you see (and hear) during a game is the whistle and what direction to play will be going in on the restart.

A perfect game will actually have seven whistles: 1 to start each half, 2 to end the 1st half, and 3 to end the game.

What is wrong with a game ending in a 0-0 tie, or 2-2 tie? That is one of the problems with Americans in my opinion, there doesn't always need to be a winner. I have had the opportunity to officiate hundreds of youth and high school soccer games. The intensity of the play in tight games, the ones that end in a tie or in the last seconds of the game with a 1 point victory is exciting. Soccer is a fluid, ever changing game of chess played with real people and a ball. There is no shot clock, no requirement to always be moving toward the goal, no time outs, and at the professional level even restricted substitutions (a maximum of 6).

Soccer is, in my opinion, a terrific sport and one I wish was popular when I was a kid as it is now. It is a sport I could have participated in easily. When I was growing up it was considered more of a girls sport than a boys sport. We were expected to play baseball, basketball, or football. None of which I was physically able to play. Too small, too short, too slow, whatever.

The biggest problem I see from the pitch at youth games is the lack of understanding of the game by the parents, and sometimes even the coaches.

In the Spirit of the Game!

• Lynn Pettis (6/10/2010)

I'm not going to try and answer many of the questions, comments, or concerns regarding soccer (football everywhere else in the world).

Soccer is a simple game made complex by coaches (don't remember who actually said this, but a good starting pont). Soccer is governed by 18 Laws of the Game, 17 published, one unpublished. I was going to list them all, but decided not to do that here. I'll leave it as an exercise for others to tell me what Law 18 is.

Common Sense

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (6/10/2010)

Lynn Pettis (6/10/2010)

I'm not going to try and answer many of the questions, comments, or concerns regarding soccer (football everywhere else in the world).

Common Sense

You've heard this one before. You'd be amazed how many new referees don't get this one until they have been on the field awhile with experienced referees.

CirquedeSQLeil (6/10/2010)

Lynn Pettis (6/10/2010)

Common Sense

You've heard this one before. You'd be amazed how many new referees don't get this one until they have been on the field awhile with experienced referees.

I think that is true of every sport that involves refs. You don't need to blow the whistle on everything - some of it doesn't impact the game. You don't need to be a moroff on the field either. No need to retaliate or get into it with anybody out there.

Learn Extended Events

• Someone should tell the NBA refs that. A bit too many calls in the first three games.

Soccer is great exercise, it is a chess match, but it seems that it gets less exciting the more skilled the players become. Kind of the reverse of many other sports that get more exciting as the players get better.

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/10/2010)

Someone should tell the NBA refs that. A bit too many calls in the first three games.

There have been too many calls. I have less issue with the quantity of calls vs the inconsistency of the calls. Another part of common sense is that if it is a foul then it is a foul. Don't just call the fouls haphazardly.

Learn Extended Events

What is wrong with a game ending in a 0-0 tie, or 2-2 tie? That is one of the problems with Americans in my opinion, there doesn't always need to be a winner.

A mate of mine produces a racing game for the Playstation 3 (Motorstorm), I think they actually have to change the winning dynamics depending on where they sell it. The basic premise is that you can continue by accumulating points (5 for gold, 2 for silver 1 for bronze etc), once you have enough points you can continue, but you don't have to get gold in every race to win every match, sometimes you're fighting for third place points just so you can continue (it does get quite tricky later in the game).

The American market HATES this, they want to get gold all the time. The Japanese prefer to fight it out and don't care if they get gold or bronze, the Europeans lean more towards the Japanese thinking.

• Richard Gardner-291039 (6/11/2010)

The American market ... want to get gold all the time.

BWAA-HAAA!!!! Why would anyone "shoot for the bronze"? Go for the gold and settle for the bronze but only if you have to. 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Case in point. It wasn't that they were unhappy aiming for bronze, it was that you had to be so bloody good to get a gold in some races most of them weren't prepared to put the effort in to do it and therefore sulked.

Most nationalities accept the fact that they weren't good enough to do that and did their damndest to qualify anyway, of course if they were really determined they'd study the track and work out how to shave off precious seconds. The point being the game wouldn't punish you for not spending the time to really work out how to beat it, it would still let you be "good enough" to continue. That's called depth, that is.

Not the US market, they decided the game should let them get gold every time and bottom lipped (a game critically acclaimed for it's balance between pick up playability and die hard mastery.

• Anybody have a Garmin and use OpenStreetMap data?

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• I'm a TomTom man myself

http://www.briansatnav.com

• Some people really need to RTFM, or in this case, BOL.

• Oops.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Lynn Pettis (6/11/2010)

Some people really need to RTFM, or in this case, BOL.

Yup - or at least finish reading that book from which the example was taken.

Learn Extended Events

• GilaMonster (6/11/2010)

Oops.

Ouch - poor unfortunate soul

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 15,736 through 15,750 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply