Are the posted questions getting worse?

• CirquedeSQLeil (6/11/2010)

Lynn Pettis (6/11/2010)

Some people really need to RTFM, or in this case, BOL.

Yup - or at least finish reading that book from which the example was taken.

I hope that by 'three weeks to get working', he meant 3 weeks of intermittent work in the evenings.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (6/11/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (6/11/2010)

Lynn Pettis (6/11/2010)

Yup - or at least finish reading that book from which the example was taken.

I hope that by 'three weeks to get working', he meant 3 weeks of intermittent work in the evenings.

I agree, on both counts.

Oops.

Ouch. It's kind of shocking, the fundamental ignorance about how these things work that seems to be so wide spread.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Oops.

Ouch. I'm going to use this thread as an example. I've been dealing with a 3rd party application. They use SQL Server as the database and insist on truncating the transaction log nightly before each backup.

This is the exact scenario that I've been warning them about. Their support has been insistent that if I don't truncate then that voids our support.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• Anybody out there know much about this individual, scott.pletcher?

I know we have several MVP's here on SSC, but most of you don't advertise it, and perhaps its just me but the tone in his responses seems to lean to the arrogant side a tad.

• Trey Staker (6/11/2010)

GilaMonster (6/11/2010)

Oops.

Ouch. I'm going to use this thread as an example. I've been dealing with a 3rd party application. They use SQL Server as the database and insist on truncating the transaction log nightly before each backup.

This is the exact scenario that I've been warning them about. Their support has been insistent that if I don't truncate then that voids our support.

Truncating the t-log before the full backup breaks the log chain. If the full backup file becomes lost or corrupt, you can't back up to the previous days full backup and recover.

Not asking who they are but what kind of software package are you running, if you can tell us that (not the name of the package, I don't want to know the name of the company).

• Lynn Pettis (6/11/2010)

Trey Staker (6/11/2010)

GilaMonster (6/11/2010)

Oops.

Truncating the t-log before the full backup breaks the log chain. If the full backup file becomes lost or corrupt, you can't back up to the previous days full backup and recover.

Not asking who they are but what kind of software package are you running, if you can tell us that (not the name of the package, I don't want to know the name of the company).

Ya, I'm fully aware of this and it drives me nuts and I've explained it over and over. I have made some progress and got past their tier 1 support and have spoken with managers and sales reps and now to some of their R&D people. Their working on moving their product to 2008 and I've explained to them that this practice is 100% depricated in 2008.

I'd love to share the name of the company/product/software package but I can't. I can say that the application is used for dispatching vehicles and is a unique app to my company's industry. I support 30 sql server clusters whose main database is the database for this app. I believe they have about 80 customers and we are their largest. The software has been around and on sql server since atleast sql server 7.0.

Use Full Links:

Lynn Pettis (6/11/2010)

Trey Staker (6/11/2010)

GilaMonster (6/11/2010)

Oops.

Ya, I'm fully aware of this and it drives me nuts and I've explained it over and over. I have made some progress and got past their tier 1 support and have spoken with managers and sales reps and now to some of their R&D people. Their working on moving their product to 2008 and I've explained to them that this practice is 100% depricated in 2008.

I'd love to share the name of the company/product/software package but I can't. I can say that the application is used for dispatching vehicles and is a unique app to my company's industry. I support 30 sql server clusters whose main database is the database for this app. I believe they have about 80 customers and we are their largest. The software has been around and on sql server since atleast sql server 7.0.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if their own internal systems ran on SQL Server databases and they did the same thing there, truncate log, full backup.

Sounds interesting, have to guess that you work for a trucking company or something similar.

Anybody out there know much about this individual, scott.pletcher?

I know we have several MVP's here on SSC, but most of you don't advertise it, and perhaps its just me but the tone in his responses seems to lean to the arrogant side a tad.

This may help. Never used Experts-Exchange.

• I worked for a company that had a subscription to Experts Exchange and it was rare that I'd find any worthwhile answers there. Even rarer that I'd find an answer there that I couldn't find somewhere else. Pay sites aren't really worth the money

The site itself isn't very well designed either.

This doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the individual you're referring to, just the site.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

They use SQL Server as the database and insist on truncating the transaction log nightly before each backup.

Bad, but not the worst. At least they're insisting on a truncation before the backup, not after.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Sounds interesting, have to guess that you work for a trucking company or something similar.

Kind of, our trucks have sirens.

Use Full Links:

ha! that's a good one. "only took 3 weeks"...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Stefan Krzywicki (6/11/2010)

I worked for a company that had a subscription to Experts Exchange and it was rare that I'd find any worthwhile answers there. Even rarer that I'd find an answer there that I couldn't find somewhere else. Pay sites aren't really worth the money

The site itself isn't very well designed either.

This doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the individual you're referring to, just the site.

If you actually pay, do you see different solutions than the ones you see if you just scroll down?

I think that site's a little shady for trying to charge for the same stuff they're giving away...at least that's how it appears to work.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

Lynn Pettis (6/11/2010)

Anybody out there know much about this individual, scott.pletcher?

This may help. Never used Experts-Exchange.

Hmmm - nope. Don't know him.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 15,751 through 15,765 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply