Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/10/2010)

Someone should tell the NBA refs that. A bit too many calls in the first three games.

Soccer is great exercise, it is a chess match, but it seems that it gets less exciting the more skilled the players become. Kind of the reverse of many other sports that get more exciting as the players get better.

I actually think World Cup or Premier League Soccer is more interesting to watch. I coached Junior High and assisted with High School soccer and as I learned it the higher levels became even more interesting. Mainly because I understand why they are doing what they are doing when they pass back or play a long ball.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• CirquedeSQLeil (6/10/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (6/10/2010)

Someone should tell the NBA refs that. A bit too many calls in the first three games.

There have been too many calls. I have less issue with the quantity of calls vs the inconsistency of the calls. Another part of common sense is that if it is a foul then it is a foul. Don't just call the fouls haphazardly.

Don't even get me started. The NBA has the worst officiating of any major American sport. I've always been a huge Celtics fan, but I can't even watch the finals because of the officiating. I watch for about 5 (real-time) minutes at a time just to check the score.

Jack Corbett

• I tend to agree. It seems that every game is making up for the previous ones. The officials seem to go back and forth between giving calls to the Celtics and Lakers in different games. Very poor consistency, IMHO.

• Been off-line for a couple weeks of vacation and have 1 more week left with intermittent internet access and when I am on-line I'm ranking abstracts for the DBA track for the Summit. Some really good ones and some not so good ones. I'm definitely learning what makes a good abstract by evaluating all of these. Should be a good Summit this year based on what I'm seeing though. Even without Gail being able to attend.:(

Jack Corbett

• Jack Corbett (6/15/2010)

Been off-line for a couple weeks of vacation and have 1 more week left with intermittent internet access and when I am on-line I'm ranking abstracts for the DBA track for the Summit. Some really good ones and some not so good ones. I'm definitely learning what makes a good abstract by evaluating all of these. Should be a good Summit this year based on what I'm seeing though. Even without Gail being able to attend.:(

Since you now know what makes a good abstract v. bad abstract, could you enlighten us on how to write a successful abstract?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (6/15/2010)

Jack Corbett (6/15/2010)

Been off-line for a couple weeks of vacation and have 1 more week left with intermittent internet access and when I am on-line I'm ranking abstracts for the DBA track for the Summit. Some really good ones and some not so good ones. I'm definitely learning what makes a good abstract by evaluating all of these. Should be a good Summit this year based on what I'm seeing though. Even without Gail being able to attend.:(

Since you now know what makes a good abstract v. bad abstract, could you enlighten us on how to write a successful abstract?

I think it will be a blog post once the selection process is over, but to put it succinctly I think you have to have specific take aways for the attendees like:

After this session attendees will be able to

identify long running queries using Profiler

troubleshoot deadlocks using Profiler

identify queries using the most reads in Profiler.

Not necessarily the best example, but that's the idea.

Jack Corbett

• I'd tend to agree with Jack. The abstracts that catch my eye more are ones that have specific details about what is being covered. Rather than general "troubleshooting with SQL Server tools", they'll have things like "Use Profiler to find problem queries".

I have emailed 4 or 5 people for more details when I wasn't sure what would be covered. It's a part sales pitch, part good technical details. Case studies, real world stuff, that is more important to me since I think the general theory based items are disappointing more often than not.

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/15/2010)

I'd tend to agree with Jack. The abstracts that catch my eye more are ones that have specific details about what is being covered. Rather than general "troubleshooting with SQL Server tools", they'll have things like "Use Profiler to find problem queries".

I have emailed 4 or 5 people for more details when I wasn't sure what would be covered. It's a part sales pitch, part good technical details. Case studies, real world stuff, that is more important to me since I think the general theory based items are disappointing more often than not.

And you guys got the bribes OK, right? Allen told me all the money had to go through him.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (6/15/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (6/15/2010)

I'd tend to agree with Jack. The abstracts that catch my eye more are ones that have specific details about what is being covered. Rather than general "troubleshooting with SQL Server tools", they'll have things like "Use Profiler to find problem queries".

And you guys got the bribes OK, right? Allen told me all the money had to go through him.

Either him or Jeremiah. They like to make sure they get their cut. I'm angling for Allen's job next year.:-D

Jack Corbett

• Lynn Pettis (6/11/2010)

Lynn Pettis (6/11/2010)

Anybody out there know much about this individual, scott.pletcher?

I know we have several MVP's here on SSC, but most of you don't advertise it, and perhaps its just me but the tone in his responses seems to lean to the arrogant side a tad.

This may help. Never used Experts-Exchange.

This whole exchange the two have in the last link above is funny. Really comes across like someone is trying to maintain a status that someone else earned by putting on a charade.

I'm not going to have any more dialog with him directly. I'll just correct his junior code when I think someone could look at it and get mislead.

β””> bt

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• We scored a goal and drew!!!!

WOOT!

:w00t:

Thanks to everyone that posted congratulations. πŸ™‚

I'm thinking Italy should be no problem now. Do they even play football/soccer over there on a regular basis? πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜›

• Paul White NZ (6/16/2010)

We scored a goal and drew!!!!

WOOT!

I'm thinking Italy should be no problem now. Do they even play football/soccer over there on a regular basis? πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜›

Hahaha! Paul there's a firehose down the corridoor mate, you might want to stand somewhere near it!

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Paul White NZ (6/16/2010)

We scored a goal and drew!!!!

WOOT!

I think NZ will be quite a problem for us. I haven't seen a good game yet.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Totally different subject: I get 1 notification every 10 or 20 posts on THE THREAD.

Are you experiencing the same?

Maybe too many people subscribed.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Chris Morris-439714 (6/16/2010)

Hahaha! Paul there's a firehose down the corridoor mate, you might want to stand somewhere near it!

:laugh:

Viewing 15 posts - 15,811 through 15,825 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply