Are the posted questions getting worse?

• The Dixie Flatline (6/17/2010)

Testing...

Testing...

Is this Thread on?

Do I hear the faint call of a threadaholic echoing in the distance?

Greg E

• Greg Edwards-268690 (6/18/2010)

The Dixie Flatline (6/17/2010)

Testing...

Testing...

Is this Thread on?

Do I hear the faint call of a threadaholic echoing in the distance?

Greg E

This is what those damned Vuvu's do to your hearing. Bob's call described as 'faint'.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• I'm reasonably soft-spoken at most times.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• The Dixie Flatline (6/18/2010)

I'm reasonably soft-spoken at most times.

Pardon?

Yeah I know - cheap - but it's friday 🙂

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Grant Fritchey (6/18/2010)

GilaMonster (6/18/2010)

Lynn Pettis (6/17/2010)

Don't you love it when some one PM's you for help? Just deciding if I should help, post it for others as well, or just ignore it. Decisions, decisions, decisions....

My standard reply to that is 'please post in the forums'. Two problems I have with helping via PM. No one else can help out. No one else can benefit.

Me too. My one exception is when they're asking about something I wrote.

ditto ditto. I do sometimes tell them they can re-PM me with the URL.

• Woohoo, my article[/url] has been republished! (Where's my pepto?) :sick:

Gaby

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/18/2010)

Grant Fritchey (6/18/2010)

GilaMonster (6/18/2010)

Lynn Pettis (6/17/2010)

Don't you love it when some one PM's you for help? Just deciding if I should help, post it for others as well, or just ignore it. Decisions, decisions, decisions....

My standard reply to that is 'please post in the forums'. Two problems I have with helping via PM. No one else can help out. No one else can benefit.

Me too. My one exception is when they're asking about something I wrote.

ditto ditto. I do sometimes tell them they can re-PM me with the URL.

I replied to the individual informing him to post the question in the appropriate forum.

• GabyYYZ (6/18/2010)

Woohoo, my article[/url] has been republished! (Where's my pepto?) :sick:

Have you considered updating it? Or telling people to read the comments? I got a lot out of reading the comments and the original article gets people to think about the issue.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• GabyYYZ (6/18/2010)

Don't worry too much about the discussion. Plenty of people think everyone sees what they see, and they don't want things republished. Or they want everything updated in a wiki.

If you want to update a new version, let me know. Otherwise, just respond to comments asking questions and ignore the others.

• Stefan Krzywicki (6/18/2010)

GabyYYZ (6/18/2010)

Have you considered updating it? Or telling people to read the comments? I got a lot out of reading the comments and the original article gets people to think about the issue.

I've posted a comment in the discussion just now, but yeah, I'll think about summarizing my thoughts as stated in the comments and update the article. Thanks.

Gaby

• GabyYYZ (6/18/2010)

Stefan Krzywicki (6/18/2010)

GabyYYZ (6/18/2010)

I've posted a comment in the discussion just now, but yeah, I'll think about summarizing my thoughts as stated in the comments and update the article. Thanks.

Good, I hope you do. I look forward to seeing your thoughts on the concepts now in more of an article form as opposed to replying to specific comments. I appreciate the work you put in.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Lynn Pettis (6/17/2010)

Checked out a thread where one of my blogs was referenced, feels good when it helps someone solve a problem. 🙂

I frequently reference your blog for the common date/time routines. I sure hope it helps others!

Oh - and thanks for writing that! I learned a few things from it also.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (6/18/2010)

Lynn Pettis (6/17/2010)

Checked out a thread where one of my blogs was referenced, feels good when it helps someone solve a problem. 🙂

I frequently reference your blog for the common date/time routines. I sure hope it helps others!

Oh - and thanks for writing that! I learned a few things from it also.

DITTO

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Yes, Lynn, those date routines are the first blade in my Swiss Army knife of SQL Server tools.

Thank you for your wonderful contributions!

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

• Just my luck.....

Wednesday, I updated a test box to SQL 2008. Pretty old (> 9 years)...

Last night, the drive controller failed spectacularly (sparks, smoke, everything), completely corrupting the HDDs connected to it. Totally unsalvageable.

Sure hope it's not related...

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

Viewing 15 posts - 15,856 through 15,870 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply