Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Gianluca Sartori (6/21/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (6/20/2010)

Haha - maybe I should have made a few bets this last week.:-D

Horrible match. Looks like the "world champions" have disappeared.

Just a few notes:

1. Killen should be named "Killer". His elbow hit more than one face yesterday.

2. NZ scored in offside

3. Italy's penalty was inexistant

4. Please, somebody stop those vuvuzelas!!!!!!

Congrats to all Kiwis!

How long before somebody creates a vuvuzela concerto?

Hope this helps,
    Rich

[p]
    [/p]

• Please no! I have those things going crazy outside my flat until around midnight every night already.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • If they only knew the origins of that horn, they wouldn't be so happy to blow inside it. ๐Ÿ˜›

WARNING: not safe for work.

http://www.bastardidentro.it/misc/editor/files/BD1924-Origini2.jpg

-- Gianluca Sartori

2. NZ scored in offside

I'm no expert, but it seemed to me that Giorgio Chiellini flicked the ball on to Smeltz, not an NZ player...so can he be offside?

Not that it really matters. It was an exciting match to watch, and either side could have scored more with a bit of extra luck.

Amazing result, but arguably a fair one on balance, whatever you think of the offside or penalty.

The possible scenarios are very interesting even with just one match left to play. If we can beat Paraguay, we're through to the next round - if we draw, we have to hope Italy draw their last match too (and even then it's complicated). If we lose, that's it, we're out.

Can't believe I'm thinking we might do it!

• Paul White NZ (6/21/2010)

Gianluca Sartori (6/21/2010)

2. NZ scored in offside

I'm no expert, but it seemed to me that Giorgio Chiellini flicked the ball on to Smeltz, not an NZ player...so can he be offside?

Not that it really matters. It was an exciting match to watch, and either side could have scored more with a bit of extra luck.

Amazing result, but arguably a fair one on balance, whatever you think of the offside or penalty.

The possible scenarios are very interesting even with just one match left to play. If we can beat Paraguay, we're through to the next round - if we draw, we have to hope Italy draw their last match too (and even then it's complicated). If we lose, that's it, we're out.

Haven't been watching, but in general, if the player is past the defenders at the moment the ball is passed to him/her, then they are offsides. If the ball is passed in front of them, and they pass defenders in order to reach the ball, they are not offsides.

Difference is between cherry-picking and hustle, basically.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Paul White NZ (6/21/2010)

2. NZ scored in offside

That's the point. See here: http://video.gazzetta.it/mondiale-italia-nuova-zelanda-3d-smeltz/1c1dc356-7c86-11df-be73-00144f02aabe

and here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh_JoqrNmJw

Can't believe I'm thinking we might NOT do it!

Congrats, anyway. It's a wonderful result for NZ!

-- Gianluca Sartori

Paul White NZ (6/21/2010)

2. NZ scored in offside

That's the point. See here: http://video.gazzetta.it/mondiale-italia-nuova-zelanda-3d-smeltz/1c1dc356-7c86-11df-be73-00144f02aabe

and here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh_JoqrNmJw

Can't believe I'm thinking we might NOT do it!

Congrats, anyway. It's a wonderful result for NZ!

Question to ask is where was the AR? Was he out of position at the moment the ball was played or touched by the NZ player? If so, it is possible that the AR couldn't tell if the player was in an offside position when the ball was played (header), or he did not realize that the NZ had headed the ball and that the scoring player had received the ball directly, in which case he was in the opinion of the AR onside at the time the ball was played. Remember, the referees have to call what they see.

• Anyone watch the Brazil v Ivory Coast game yesterday? One of Brazil's goals should have been disallowed, handling - player played it off his arm. At full speed it was hard to see, and if not in the right position, difficult to call. Slow motion replay, the handling was obvious.

And what about that second yellow near the end on Kaka? What a royal crock, the Ivory Coast player should have been shown the yellow for faking AND given an Oscar for his performance!

• Did anyone watch Portugal - North Korea just now? Wow, what a result, 7:0. Now you US'ers stop complaining about low-scoring games.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (6/21/2010)

Did anyone watch Portugal - North Korea just now? Wow, what a result, 7:0. Now you US'ers stop complaining about low-scoring games.

I didn't get to see the game, but my daughter texted me the score on that game. At this level of play, that's a blow-out!

Edit: And for the record, I have never complained about low scoring games.

Did anyone watch Portugal - North Korea just now? Wow, what a result, 7:0. Now you US'ers stop complaining about low-scoring games.

Absolutely stunning result. 4:0 is a blowout. This was a total annihilation.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• @jason, check that score again! It was 7:0, not 4:0

@Lynn, I never meant you. You actually defended the possibility of draws about 50 pages back ๐Ÿ™‚

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

@Jason, check that score again! It was 7:0, not 4:0

I know. See the rest of my comment. Simply stating that at 4:0 it would have been considered a blowout. But this match went beyond that and was a total annihilation. (reference Germany Australia match was 4:0).

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• 7:0 makes it seem like Portugal was trying to make a statement more than just win the game. I would think after 5:0 you'd just try to run out the clock. Then again, I know very little about soccer beyond what I remember from playing as a kid.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    Itโ€™s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    Whatโ€™s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Lynn Pettis (6/21/2010)

Anyone watch the Brazil v Ivory Coast game yesterday? One of Brazil's goals should have been disallowed, handling - player played it off his arm. At full speed it was hard to see, and if not in the right position, difficult to call. Slow motion replay, the handling was obvious.

And what about that second yellow near the end on Kaka? What a royal crock, the Ivory Coast player should have been shown the yellow for faking AND given an Oscar for his performance!

And this is why everyone want cameras on the field to help refs, like NFL and hockey do have, to avoid these great injustices to happen again.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

Viewing 15 posts - 15,886 through 15,900 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply