Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Any major game I have ever been to does have a stadium clock that gets started when the half time is kicked off. And the fourth official (the one that also handles substitution procedures) does announce the amount of time added just before the half is over.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• I haven't watched this time, but it seems the last World Cup I watched when the official clock ended, there was an "extra time clock" that counted up. It didn't let me know how much time was left.

Might be my "ugly-American-ness", but I like to know how much time there is. Especially if I'm watching on TV. It becomes annoying when I can't see this as I know that the game changes in other sports as time winds down. I'd like to think that would happen here as well.

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/21/2010)

I haven't watched this time, but it seems the last World Cup I watched when the official clock ended, there was an "extra time clock" that counted up. It didn't let me know how much time was left.

You're right. I found it annoying too. It's something they took away, but it's always been there. Quite annoying.

-- Gianluca Sartori

I haven't watched this time, but it seems the last World Cup I watched when the official clock ended, there was an "extra time clock" that counted up. It didn't let me know how much time was left.

Might be my "ugly-American-ness", but I like to know how much time there is. Especially if I'm watching on TV. It becomes annoying when I can't see this as I know that the game changes in other sports as time winds down. I'd like to think that would happen here as well.

The only time I get annoied is when I am an AR and the Center does bother to signal how much time is left. As a center ref, I try to signal the AR's to let them know how much time is left when the half gets to 4 minutes or less. If I let them know, then they can tell the coaches when they are near them.

• Oh NO! Urgent problem, need help now!

As if everyone's problem isn't urgent! 😛

• How do they (anyone but the main ref) know how much time is left? I certainly have no idea. This is one reason I don't watch soccer. It feels like at the end of the game the ref just lets them play until he feels like it. I also don't like having no idea why yellow and red cards are being issued. It is a poor way to acclimate new fans.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (6/21/2010)

How do they (anyone but the main ref) know how much time is left? I certainly have no idea. This is one reason I don't watch soccer. It feels like at the end of the game the ref just lets them play until he feels like it. I also don't like having no idea why yellow and red cards are being issued. It is a poor way to acclimate new fans.

Again, it is a players game. it is meant to be played with as little interference from officials, coaches, and spectators. Enjoy the game, don't worry about the fouls and cards; the players know what is going on even if they don't agree with the officials.

Best thing I can suggest, if you have kids that play, get out there and officiate. I have learned more about the game as an official than I learned from watching or coaching.

• Players games are for the backyard, kids, rec centers. I agree with you, Lynn, for most games. However when it's a professional sport, and televised, it ought to be run more professionally. At that point it's not for the players.

However when it's a professional sport, and televised, it ought to be run more professionally. At that point it's not for the players.

I can definitely see your point here Steve.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Okay, I guess I'll have to agree to disagree. I like the game the way it is, wether it is youth competitive, high school, whatever. I see no need to change it. Perhaps it is because I am a Soccer Referee. I'll be honest, I question some of the calls made at various games at all levels, including the World Cup, but when I'm not on the field it isn't my opinion that really matters.

It all comes down to 6 words, In the opinion of the Referee. If the referee is doing his job, is fair in the application of the Laws of the Game, why change it?

You will always have some referees that allow their bais to rule them on the field. I am able to rise above it myself. I know High School coach who in my personal opinion has absolutely no business coaching soccer. However, when I officiate his schools games, I don't let my personal feelings to affect the calls I make on the field. I'm there for the kids, not him. I'm not going to punish them for having the coach they have, they don't have any control on that issue.

Those few referees that call into question the integrity of all officials need to be dealt with by the appropriate organizations and either sanctioned or even removed. And that should be true of ANY sport.

• D.Oc (6/21/2010)

Lynn Pettis (6/21/2010)

Anyone watch the Brazil v Ivory Coast game yesterday? One of Brazil's goals should have been disallowed, handling - player played it off his arm. At full speed it was hard to see, and if not in the right position, difficult to call. Slow motion replay, the handling was obvious.

And what about that second yellow near the end on Kaka? What a royal crock, the Ivory Coast player should have been shown the yellow for faking AND given an Oscar for his performance!

And this is why everyone want cameras on the field to help refs, like NFL and hockey do have, to avoid these great injustices to happen again.

Absolutely not! replays are a crock, they just take up time. Refs with questionable abilities should not be allowed to ref games, end of story. Call em like you see em, and make the calls good.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

Players games are for the backyard, kids, rec centers. I agree with you, Lynn, for most games. However when it's a professional sport, and televised, it ought to be run more professionally. At that point it's not for the players.

Does that go for hockey too? That has always confused me, since you can have a foul, but you keep playing for what can feel like a long time after.

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• I can't comment on hockey. I think in hockey they have a rule that allows play to continue if the team committing the foul doesn't have the advantage.

However same thing in terms of it's for the fans. I think that the way hockey works, and soccer, with less "excitement" from scoring, and more from the way players play, means it's hard for new fans to enjoy it.

• Lynn Pettis (6/21/2010)

Stefan Krzywicki (6/21/2010)

How do they (anyone but the main ref) know how much time is left? I certainly have no idea. This is one reason I don't watch soccer. It feels like at the end of the game the ref just lets them play until he feels like it. I also don't like having no idea why yellow and red cards are being issued. It is a poor way to acclimate new fans.

Again, it is a players game. it is meant to be played with as little interference from officials, coaches, and spectators. Enjoy the game, don't worry about the fouls and cards; the players know what is going on even if they don't agree with the officials.

Best thing I can suggest, if you have kids that play, get out there and officiate. I have learned more about the game as an official than I learned from watching or coaching.

"Enjoy the game, don't worry about the fouls and cards" or the time, I'm guessing. Unfortunately, I'm not the kind that can do that. It is like telling me "enjoy the game, don't worry about the goals or strategies". Is there any way for someone other than the head ref to know how much time SHOULD be allotted at the end? What's to keep the head ref from letting a team he favors play until the catch up or win?

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• The image on this link goes out to all you World Cup watchers, but specifically Gail, and is quite possibly the funniest use of music software I've ever seen....

enjoy! :hehe:

Viewing 15 posts - 15,916 through 15,930 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply