Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Schadenfreude-Mei (6/22/2010)

I think this one qualifys:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic940758-146-1.aspx

Seriosly, how do these people get to a point where they are even alowed to look at a live server :crazy:

I'm sure one of the biggest issue that person is struggling with on this site is a language barrier.

Regarding the person's skills it might be (s)he is just a "poor" developer that made some data modification a while back that need to be restored.

I truly hope that person is not the DBA of that company though... :pinch:

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Paul White NZ (6/22/2010)

Schadenfreude-Mei (6/22/2010)

Seriously, how do these people get to a point where they are even alowed to look at a live server :crazy:

I guess it's because there's no-one else to do it.

Sad fact: there are many more SQL Server installations in the world than good SQL Server people.

On the current discussion point: I think it's fine to post what you did here...but I am unsure what value your post on the source thread added.

Because our server admins 'don't install SQL Server', my boss gave the job to me.

No training, just 'figure it out'.

Same with several other applications.

I'm probably not the only one this has happened to.

Greg E

• Greg Edwards-268690 (6/22/2010)

Paul White NZ (6/22/2010)

Schadenfreude-Mei (6/22/2010)

Seriously, how do these people get to a point where they are even alowed to look at a live server :crazy:

I guess it's because there's no-one else to do it.

Sad fact: there are many more SQL Server installations in the world than good SQL Server people.

On the current discussion point: I think it's fine to post what you did here...but I am unsure what value your post on the source thread added.

Because our server admins 'don't install SQL Server', my boss gave the job to me.

No training, just 'figure it out'.

Same with several other applications.

I'm probably not the only one this has happened to.

Greg E

Sounds familiar. Working at a dot com without a DBA for a couple of months, I made the mistake of telling the boss the list of problems we were having because we didn't have a dedicated DBA. His response "Which one are you going to fix first?" My response, "Oh, crap." and another accidental DBA was borne.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• A little help over here would be appreciated

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (6/22/2010)

A little help over here would be appreciated

What I said there wasn't strictly true based on his idea. afaik, the tran is only considered started (in the log) when there's a data modification, so it shouldn't grow until something changes (as opposed to just an updlock)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I'm not sure Adam's post was much worse than I've seen for a few others. However I do appreciate a few of you taking over my role and trying to make sure people aren't crossing a professional line.

This is a good place to blow off steam, just remember that anyone can read what you write. It is a part of your "brand" and think about what you would tell a potential interviewer, or your kids, if they read something you posted.

• Sorry, Gail, looks like SA is not moving on in the World Cup.

🙁

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/22/2010)

Sorry, Gail, looks like SA is not moving on in the World Cup.

🙁

What a surprise. Not.

At least we didn't lose every match we played.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (6/22/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (6/22/2010)

🙁

What a surprise. Not.

True - and so far you have won more matches than the US.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Wow a 323 GB DB for US Veterans. The guy needs help knowing the setup for SSAS AND SSRS. I'm a little out-classed on that one.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic941073-391-1.aspx

• Can someone who knows their way around SQL memory have a look at this? http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic941169-360-1.aspx

Gail Shaw

• Lynn Pettis (6/21/2010)

Anyone watch the Brazil v Ivory Coast game yesterday? One of Brazil's goals should have been disallowed, handling - player played it off his arm. At full speed it was hard to see, and if not in the right position, difficult to call. Slow motion replay, the handling was obvious.

Hey, that's normal for South Americans, isn't it? Wasn't Maradonna a South American player? Shoving the ball into the goal with one's seems to be acceptable in that part of the world (as long as the ref doesn't see it in real time - video/film record doesn't count if it's not called at the time).

Tom

• CirquedeSQLeil (6/22/2010)

GilaMonster (6/22/2010)

🙁

What a surprise. Not.

And England! (what a bunch of t*ssers)

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

• Schadenfreude-Mei (6/23/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (6/22/2010)

GilaMonster (6/22/2010)

🙁

What a surprise. Not.

And England! (what a bunch of t*ssers)

I never even thought South Africa would even win a game.

So, even though I (and Gail obviously) didn't believe too much in them, I was surprised last night by their performance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

Viewing 15 posts - 15,946 through 15,960 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply