Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeff Moden (6/27/2010)

Hmmmm.... in this day and age it seems to me that they could show a replay and have the audience vote on it in seconds.

Quick , get Simon Cowel.

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• Dave Ballantyne (6/28/2010)

Jeff Moden (6/27/2010)

Hmmmm.... in this day and age it seems to me that they could show a replay and have the audience vote on it in seconds.

Quick , get Simon Cowel.

Not Cheryl Cole? :Whistling:

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Jeff Moden (6/27/2010)

Lynn Pettis (6/27/2010)

I will agree that there have been some bad calls, some made and some that should have. Over all, however, I think the officiating has been good. I don't know if I good do as well in the same situation.

I'm curoius, how many people out there complaining have actually been out there having to make the decisions we refs have to make during the playing of a game.

If you think you can do better, step up to plate and joins out on the pitch.

Heh... been there and done that.... at the finish line of a six lane Pinewood Derby track for the Cub Scouts. I only had to do that once and it was absolutely the worst! I don't envy any Ref.

Right after that, I built a computerized judge for the track that automatically kept scores for a double elimination round robin. It even survived some high speed camera shots and a couple of angry parents that no longer had a say so. 😀

I did that four years running. The whining, the crying, the tantrums... from the parents... Yeah, it wasn't much fun. We had one family that I think joined just for the derby. They came in second two years in a row and threw horrible hissy fits every single time. The third year they won and then never showed up ever again. Pathetic way to behave and to teach your kids... ah well.

If that's anything like officiating football, my sympathies Lynne.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Who'd have thought that the loss of a point would cause such collective bed-wetting

• rjohal-500813 (6/28/2010)

Who'd have thought that the loss of a point would cause such collective bed-wetting

The question reads "What will be the output of the following?" and none of the answers is correct.

If the question was "Which of these options best represents the output" then there would be a correct answer.

It's not the loss of a point which folks find frustrating - it's knowing that they've been prevented from providing a correct answer by a clunky and unnecessary error.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• A video or computer position tracking system like they have in other sports could solve the whole thing. I'm hoping that in American Football, sooner than later, they equip the ball and field so a computer knows exactly where it is at all times.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Chris Morris-439714 (6/28/2010)The question reads "What will be the output of the following?" and none of the answers is correct.

If the question was "Which of these options best represents the output" then there would be a correct answer.

It's not the loss of a point which folks find frustrating - it's knowing that they've been prevented from providing a correct answer by a clunky and unnecessary error.

I agree with you up to a point - the question and answers are clumsy. However 7 pages worth of people whining is laboring the point (no pun intended:-)).

• Gail, I found the perfect present for your birthday!!!

-- Gianluca Sartori

• That question was one of those that I know people don't understand. I tested it, but I misread it. I typed Identity(-1,-1) into my screen, thinking that was what was shown, and it worked.

Grrrr, those darned humans cause problems every time.

• Officials will make mistakes, and that's acceptable. We deal with that on a weekly basis as adults playing baseball, and accept it. It happens.

However when you are a professional league, it's miles beyond U-anything, or the Pinewood Derby. Literally millions of people are watching, and literally millions of $$ are at stake. Just saying that this is the way we do things is ridiculous. It's stubborn, and stupid.

At the high school level, we have 2 officials in baseball. At the pros, we have 4. When we get to the championship, we insert more. We have 6 or 8. Adding in two more side line officials to watch specifically for offsides, and 2 more to call goals is trivial for the World Cup. Not doing it doesn't preserve the integrity of the game, it makes it look dumb.

• Anyone willing to drop everything for an urgent performance issue? http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic943983-360-1.aspx

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Gianluca Sartori (6/28/2010)

Gail, I found the perfect present for your birthday!!!

I always need more coffee coasters, the more colourful the better

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Steve Jones - Editor (6/28/2010)

Officials will make mistakes, and that's acceptable. We deal with that on a weekly basis as adults playing baseball, and accept it. It happens.

However when you are a professional league, it's miles beyond U-anything, or the Pinewood Derby. Literally millions of people are watching, and literally millions of $$ are at stake. Just saying that this is the way we do things is ridiculous. It's stubborn, and stupid.

At the high school level, we have 2 officials in baseball. At the pros, we have 4. When we get to the championship, we insert more. We have 6 or 8. Adding in two more side line officials to watch specifically for offsides, and 2 more to call goals is trivial for the World Cup. Not doing it doesn't preserve the integrity of the game, it makes it look dumb.

Agreed - it's tough to officiate, and humans will make mistakes. Still, just like Steve said - it's kind of strange to completely refuse to have any calls questioned, reviewed, etc... at this level of tournament, or to make any provisions for it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Lynn Pettis (6/27/2010)

I will agree that there have been some bad calls, some made and some that should have. Over all, however, I think the officiating has been good. I don't know if I good do as well in the same situation.

I'm curoius, how many people out there complaining have actually been out there having to make the decisions we refs have to make during the playing of a game.

I think that's exactly the point. It's (almost) impossible to make the right call in every single situation if there is no chance to back-up your decision when in doubt. And that's why the discussion is getting louder to assist the referees in one way or the other.

What I'm complaining about is for instance the Argentina-Mexico game, where the referee's had an instant video replay showing the center ref decision being wrong. And the CR didn't change his decision even though he knew better by then. Or the numerous yellow cards with almost no reason (What's the current high score? 9 or so in a game?)

What I'm also complaining about is the lack of raised voices from the referees themself asking for assistance.

I also claim the right to call an RF "blind" if he's the only one in the stadium beside the center ref not recognizing a goal. 😉

It's just because it makes a game unfair.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Lynn Pettis (6/27/2010)

I don't think I can do better. I think they can do better with the assistance of technology. I've reffed volleyball games and my eyes can't be everywhere at once. If I'm checking to see if the ball landed in, I'm missing if someone's foot crossed the line under the net. You can either get more and more refs who will then argue or you can get tech to assist you.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

Viewing 15 posts - 16,036 through 16,050 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply