Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeff Moden (7/6/2010)

...the only reason why I know how to write one (or at least I think I know how to write one :hehe:)...

The cursor you wrote is a FAST_FORWARD one (in effect) - you would need to add the STATIC keyword to make it go just that little bit less slowly 😎

You can take some pride in that. 😛

• David Burrows (7/6/2010)

Jeff Moden (7/6/2010)

If you take a look at the rest of that post, it's saying "Don't use cursors" 72 different ways.

Making excuses after the fact does not excuse you :Whistling:

Heh... yeah, you're right... "I've been a baaaadddd boy!" 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Paul White NZ (7/6/2010)

Jeff Moden (7/6/2010)

...the only reason why I know how to write one (or at least I think I know how to write one :hehe:)...

The cursor you wrote is a FAST_FORWARD one (in effect) - you would need to add the STATIC keyword to make it go just that little bit less slowly 😎

You can take some pride in that. 😛

Oddly enough, I'd heard that Forward_Only Read_Only was faster than Fast_Forward. Heh.... guess what I'm NOT going to test. :hehe:

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (7/6/2010)

Oddly enough, I'd heard that Forward_Only Read_Only was faster than Fast_Forward. Heh.... guess what I'm NOT going to test. :hehe:

Yep, but you also need to specify STATIC for that to be true. Otherwise, your FORWARD_ONLY, READ_ONLY combo *is* a FAST_FORWARD cursor. I tested it so you don't have to ;c)

See http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis/archive/2007/11/21/curious-cursor-optimization-options.aspx

I think that's the thing you were referring to.

edit:

• will you guys cut this crap out? If I wanted to LEARN, I'd go somewhere else...:-D:hehe:

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (7/6/2010)

will you guys cut this crap out? If I wanted to LEARN, I'd go somewhere else...:-D:hehe:

RotFL 😀

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Paul White NZ (7/6/2010)

Jeff Moden (7/6/2010)

Yep, but you also need to specify STATIC for that to be true. Otherwise, your FORWARD_ONLY, READ_ONLY combo *is* a FAST_FORWARD cursor. I tested it so you don't have to ;c)

See http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis/archive/2007/11/21/curious-cursor-optimization-options.aspx

I think that's the thing you were referring to.

edit:

BWAA-HAAA!!!!! WHOOOOOOOIIIIIEEEE!!!! Ya just gotta love it when a bunch of SQL Server MVP's try to optimizer cursors!

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• tosscrosby (7/2/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (7/1/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/1/2010)

Stefan Krzywicki (6/30/2010)

GabyYYZ (6/30/2010)

Happy Canada Day for all Canadians north of the 49th and in the diaspora!

Is it not Canada Day for Canadians in Canada south of the 49th?

It felt like a regular work day for me.

How y'all doin, eh?

Welcome back

Alvin was gone? 😀

I still am. :hehe:

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (7/6/2010)

tosscrosby (7/2/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (7/1/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/1/2010)

Stefan Krzywicki (6/30/2010)

GabyYYZ (6/30/2010)

Happy Canada Day for all Canadians north of the 49th and in the diaspora!

Is it not Canada Day for Canadians in Canada south of the 49th?

It felt like a regular work day for me.

How y'all doin, eh?

Welcome back

Alvin was gone? 😀

I still am. :hehe:

Actually, I was never here. 😀

Exec DBCC_Timewarp @DeleteHistory = TRUE

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• WayneS (7/5/2010)

Since there's a bit of talk going on about topics to present and such, I'd like to get some input from some of the Threadizens...

I've been contemplating making a presentation to the UG based on the Comparing Table Variables with Temporary Tables article[/url] that I wrote last year - do you'll think that this would make a good presentation?

YES

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (7/6/2010)

WayneS (7/5/2010)

Since there's a bit of talk going on about topics to present and such, I'd like to get some input from some of the Threadizens...

I've been contemplating making a presentation to the UG based on the Comparing Table Variables with Temporary Tables article[/url] that I wrote last year - do you'll think that this would make a good presentation?

YES

Yes... especially with code examples.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (7/6/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (7/6/2010)

WayneS (7/5/2010)

YES

Hmm, now I need to figure out how to not be boring...

Do you think the code examples in the article are sufficient, or do I need to do more?

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (7/6/2010)

Jeff Moden (7/6/2010)

WayneS (7/5/2010)

YES

Do you think the code examples in the article are sufficient, or do I need to do more?

Assuming a one hour presentation... Yeah, I'd add a lot more scripts. But then, I prefer presenting with scripts to presenting with slides. I talk and show code. My slides are just place holders. It really depends on how you want to present the info.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (7/7/2010)

WayneS (7/6/2010)

Jeff Moden (7/6/2010)

WayneS (7/5/2010)

YES

Assuming a one hour presentation... Yeah, I'd add a lot more scripts. But then, I prefer presenting with scripts to presenting with slides. I talk and show code. My slides are just place holders. It really depends on how you want to present the info.

Interesting how today's QotD[/url] fell right in line with this topic... good example of one of the differences.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• I'm completely missing the point of the questioner over here. Can someone else give them a hand maybe?

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 15 posts - 16,156 through 16,170 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply