Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Grant Fritchey (7/7/2010)

I'm completely missing the point of the questioner over here. Can someone else give them a hand maybe?

Reminds me of a developer here and he wrote almost a same kind of stored proc (apThrowError) here with a different name. :hehe:

-Roy

• I'm completely missing the point of the questioner over here. Can someone else give them a hand maybe?

Grant, I don't have a dog in that fight, but his complaint is that the procedure does something different when it is run standalone, as opposed to when it is called inside a TRY block. In his example, when proc "A" is run standalone, a severity 16 error is raised in the second statement of Proc "A", BUT processing still continues on to the third statement.

When proc "A" is wrapped in a try/catch block, the error causes control to pass to the catch block of the calling procedure and the third statement of proc "A" never gets executed. This is what he meant by the behavior changing.

I sort of see his point in that the behavior is inconsistent, not really like an object. He would prefer for proc "A" to finish running regardless of whether or not it is in a try/catch block. On the other hand the entire purpose of a TRY/CATCH is to immediately react to errors, many of which would be fatal (unlike his harmless example).

You're not going to explain this in a such a way as to make him happy.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Okay... now I have a dog in that fight.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• The Dixie Flatline (7/7/2010)

I didn't believe you. Now I do.

β””> bt

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• bteraberry (7/7/2010)

The Dixie Flatline (7/7/2010)

I've been there often enough when trying to explain what you might call "high level language concepts" to people who think that all programming languages conform to the rules of Dartmoth Basic (ormaybe of Cesil - the old one, not the new one). So I believe it without difficulty. I've thrown in a comment, but I suspect it's a waste of time.

Tom

• Tom.Thomson (7/7/2010)

bteraberry (7/7/2010)

The Dixie Flatline (7/7/2010)

I've been there often enough when trying to explain what you might call "high level language concepts" to people who think that all programming languages conform to the rules of Dartmoth Basic (ormaybe of Cesil - the old one, not the new one). So I believe it without difficulty. I've thrown in a comment, but I suspect it's a waste of time.

I'm either getting too old or just lazier in my old age. I no longer fight people who insist on being wrong. I try to help but if someone wants to set their hair on fire, I'll let them so long as they don't take any innocent bystanders out.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (7/7/2010)

I'm either getting too old or just lazier in my old age. I no longer fight people who insist on being wrong. I try to help but if someone wants to set their hair on fire, I'll let them so long as they don't take any innocent bystanders out.

You're not the only one Jeff. I've got too many other things to deal with and only so much energy.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (7/7/2010)

Jeff Moden (7/7/2010)

You're not the only one Jeff. I've got too many other things to deal with and only so much energy.

That's where dbcc timewarp comes into play

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (7/7/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/7/2010)

Jeff Moden (7/7/2010)

Exec dbcc TimeWarp @Date = '1976-09-01'

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

CirquedeSQLeil (7/7/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/7/2010)

Jeff Moden (7/7/2010)

Is that the last time you were 19?

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (7/7/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/7/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/7/2010)

Jeff Moden (7/7/2010)

Try 14 and a little bit. πŸ˜€

Alvin Ramard

Alvin Ramard (7/7/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/7/2010)

Jeff Moden (7/7/2010)

I was 17 and a senior in high school. If I knew then what I know now.

• Lynn Pettis (7/7/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/7/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/7/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/7/2010)

Jeff Moden (7/7/2010)

I was ummm, errr, ummm 2yrs 8mos at that point.

Learn Extended Events

Alvin Ramard (7/7/2010)

Jeff Moden (7/7/2010)

AH-AAAH!!! So, you're trying to get rid of me!

I wasn't even a light in the eyes of my parents...:w00t:

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Lynn Pettis (7/7/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/7/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/7/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/7/2010)

Jeff Moden (7/7/2010)

17, brown & lean, and on the train to Uni.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

Viewing 15 posts - 16,171 through 16,185 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply