Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Gianluca Sartori (7/8/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/7/2010)

Exec dbcc TimeWarp @Date = '1976-09-01'

AH-AAAH!!! So, you're trying to get rid of me!

I wasn't even a light in the eyes of my parents...:w00t:

My thoughts exactly, though the second sentence isn't quite true for me.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Grant Fritchey (7/7/2010)

I'm completely missing the point of the questioner over here. Can someone else give them a hand maybe?

Don't know why he doesn't understand. . . SQL is by no means my bread and butter and I've got it. Take this: -

1.BEGIN TRY

2. DECLARE @testvar AS INT

3. SET @testvar = 2 / 0

4. IF @@ERROR <> 0

5. PRINT N'Error Detected';

6.END TRY

7.BEGIN CATCH

8. PRINT N'Try Failure Detected';

9.END CATCH

Now, obviously this will throw an error due to divide by 0. The 'Try' picks up the error as soon as line 3 is executed, so line 4 never gets executed and we head out of the 'Try' block and into the 'Catch'.

But having read through the topic, I'm not touching it with a barge-pole.

Forever trying to learn
    My blog - http://www.cadavre.co.uk/
    For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
    For better, quicker answers on SQL Server performance related questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Jeff Moden (7/7/2010)

Tom.Thomson (7/7/2010)

bteraberry (7/7/2010)

The Dixie Flatline (7/7/2010)

You're not going to explain this in a such a way as to make him happy.

I didn't believe you. Now I do.

I've been there often enough when trying to explain what you might call "high level language concepts" to people who think that all programming languages conform to the rules of Dartmoth Basic (ormaybe of Cesil - the old one, not the new one). So I believe it without difficulty. I've thrown in a comment, but I suspect it's a waste of time.

I'm either getting too old or just lazier in my old age. I no longer fight people who insist on being wrong. I try to help but if someone wants to set their hair on fire, I'll let them so long as they don't take any innocent bystanders out.

Yeah, I tried a bit, but once it was clear that he was pretty committed to one point of view, I decided maybe I didn't understand what was going on. That's why I came through here & go you guys to take a look. That 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. pairs of eyes all came to roughly the same conclusions.

Either way, I was done with that one but I was hoping we could help.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (7/8/2010)

Jeff Moden (7/7/2010)

Tom.Thomson (7/7/2010)

bteraberry (7/7/2010)

The Dixie Flatline (7/7/2010)

You're not going to explain this in a such a way as to make him happy.

I didn't believe you. Now I do.

I've been there often enough when trying to explain what you might call "high level language concepts" to people who think that all programming languages conform to the rules of Dartmoth Basic (ormaybe of Cesil - the old one, not the new one). So I believe it without difficulty. I've thrown in a comment, but I suspect it's a waste of time.

I'm either getting too old or just lazier in my old age. I no longer fight people who insist on being wrong. I try to help but if someone wants to set their hair on fire, I'll let them so long as they don't take any innocent bystanders out.

Yeah, I tried a bit, but once it was clear that he was pretty committed to one point of view, I decided maybe I didn't understand what was going on. That's why I came through here & go you guys to take a look. That 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. pairs of eyes all came to roughly the same conclusions.

Either way, I was done with that one but I was hoping we could help.

I saw what you guys were trying to do. I felt it futile to join and say the same thing.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Did I miss a major announcement or something?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost949498.aspx

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Chris Morris-439714 (7/8/2010)

Lynn Pettis (7/7/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/7/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (7/7/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/7/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (7/7/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/7/2010)

Jeff Moden (7/7/2010)

You're not the only one Jeff. I've got too many other things to deal with and only so much energy.

That's where dbcc timewarp comes into play

Exec dbcc TimeWarp @Date = '1976-09-01'

Is that the last time you were 19?

Try 14 and a little bit. 😀

I was 17 and a senior in high school. If I knew then what I know now.

17, brown & lean, and on the train to Uni.

7, I think I had just started 2nd grade. I saw my first computer that year punch cards and all.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• GilaMonster (7/8/2010)

Did I miss a major announcement or something?

Not that I'm aware of, but then I miss the hardware/server stuff sometimes.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• GilaMonster (7/8/2010)

I don't think so, I just finished a Microsoft DBA class and they said over and over and over "SQL Server doesn't do Load Balancing" and "Clustering does not implement Load Balancing". The instructor did say "Probably in the future", but it isn't out there now.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Anybody have any idea on this one?

Learn Extended Events

• GilaMonster (7/8/2010)

No announcement yet. I did hear something just this last month about an acquisition of a company that sold software that allows you to load balance. The acquisition was of course made by MS. I haven't seen any press releases and have nothing more to confirm it.

If it is true, it would lead me to believe that there may be something in the works to load balance.

Learn Extended Events

• GilaMonster (7/8/2010)

I should have added a </sarcasm> or something to that post. I know full well that, other than SQL Server 2008 R2's parallel datawarehouse edition, SQL cannot and does not do scale-out.

Gail Shaw

• CirquedeSQLeil (7/8/2010)

GilaMonster (7/8/2010)

No announcement yet. I did hear something just this last month about an acquisition of a company that sold software that allows you to load balance. The acquisition was of course made by MS. I haven't seen any press releases and have nothing more to confirm it.

If it is true, it would lead me to believe that there may be something in the works to load balance.

The last I'd heard, they're planning on load balancing, but not until SQL Server 11, whenever that drops.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• CirquedeSQLeil (7/8/2010)

I did hear something just this last month about an acquisition of a company that sold software that allows you to load balance. The acquisition was of course made by MS. I haven't seen any press releases and have nothing more to confirm it.

Now that definitely sounds interesting.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• I hadn't heard of load balancing in SQL 11. The PDW edition is locked down well, and I wonder if they would be able to mature/test it by SQL 11, which I'd expect in 2011. We'll see what happens there.

Viewing 15 posts - 16,186 through 16,200 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply