Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Steve Jones - Editor (7/8/2010)

I hadn't heard of load balancing in SQL 11. The PDW edition is locked down well, and I wonder if they would be able to mature/test it by SQL 11, which I'd expect in 2011. We'll see what happens there.

Well to be perfectly clear, what I'd heard was possibly SQL 11, but definitely coming. He hedged on whether it'd be 11 or 12.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• I'd agree it's coming. Not sure that it is ready for SQL 11. The deep dives I saw on PDW recently were impressive, but with lots, and lots of caveats and restrictions.

We definitely need it. A good start would be an easier way to move read-only queries to other servers automatically.

• Edit: nevermind...

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi folks, I posted a question regarding SQL 2008 Auditing and cycling through the audit logs. What I'd like to know, is there a good intro to Auditing in SQL 2008 available? I found this excellent article and this equally excellent pos[/url]t, but was wondering if there were any books or other online resources available?

My kluge right now is to write jobs to create audits on the fly, based on date, and cycle all those older than X days, which seems okay enough, provided I can do an average sizing of the audit files.

Thanks.

Gaby

• GabyYYZ (7/8/2010)

Hi folks, I posted a question regarding SQL 2008 Auditing and cycling through the audit logs. What I'd like to know, is there a good intro to Auditing in SQL 2008 available? I found this excellent article and this equally excellent pos[/url]t, but was wondering if there were any books or other online resources available?

My kluge right now is to write jobs to create audits on the fly, based on date, and cycle all those older than X days, which seems okay enough, provided I can do an average sizing of the audit files.

Thanks.

Hi Gaby, G Squared wrote a few articles on audits. They are here Audit Trails and Logging Part I[/url] and here Audit Trails and Logging Part II[/url]. Might help you out.

-- Kit

• Kit G (7/9/2010)

GabyYYZ (7/8/2010)

Hi folks, I posted a question regarding SQL 2008 Auditing and cycling through the audit logs. What I'd like to know, is there a good intro to Auditing in SQL 2008 available? I found this excellent article and this equally excellent pos[/url]t, but was wondering if there were any books or other online resources available?

Thanks.

Hi Gaby, G Squared wrote a few articles on audits. They are here Audit Trails and Logging Part I[/url] and here Audit Trails and Logging Part II[/url]. Might help you out.

Thanks Kit. If all I'm doing is capturing INSERTS/UPDATES/DELETES, this is definitely an alternative, and have the trigger write to an audit database restricted to admins. It's something to add to my toolbelt definitely, but was curious as to leveraging SQL 2008's auditing capabilities. But I now have a plan. πŸ™‚

Gaby

Gaby

• But now I have a plan.

Cool. Should there be an evil laugh after "But now I have a plan"? :w00t: This is after all, The Thread. πŸ˜€

-- Kit

• Kit G (7/9/2010)

But now I have a plan.

Cool. Should there be an evil laugh after "But now I have a plan"? :w00t: This is after all, The Thread. πŸ˜€

Plus, shouldn't it always read, "I have a cunning plan."

Or am I the only one who watches too much Black Adder?

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Have you ever twittered with "Cunning plan" ?

CaptnBlackadder Twitbot on it πŸ™‚

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• Can't help but giggle reading that πŸ™‚

Now, how often have you had to tell folks that there's no guaranteed order of results from a query unless there's an order by - even when there's a clustered index - but have had trouble proving it?

Working on a person dedupe, I've created a unique clustered index on a column of a local temp table of 55,268 rows. The sequence starts at 1 and ends with 56,919 i.e. there are some small gaps. The gaps in the sequence were created before the clustered index, in fact the data hasn't been changed at all since creating the clustered index. The table was created by a SELECT...INTO... with an ORDER BY on the same column.

But...the result set from SELECT without ORDER BY starts at 14,555 and ends at 42,927. There are runs of contiguous values of the indexed column of about 256 rows. If I get time, I'll configure this as a nice little test with a data generator as an off-the-shelf proof.

BTW it's [Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP1) - 10.0.2734.0 (X64) Sep 11 2009 14:30:58 Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.0 <X64> (Build 6002: Service Pack 2)]

Cheers

ChrisM

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Chris Morris-439714 (7/9/2010)

Can't help but giggle reading that πŸ™‚

Now, how often have you had to tell folks that there's no guaranteed order of results from a query unless there's an order by - even when there's a clustered index - but have had trouble proving it?

snip...

Got a blog for that....

http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/sqlandthelike/archive/2010/06/27/sql-101-without-order-by-order-is-not-guaranteed.aspx

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• Dave Ballantyne (7/9/2010)

Chris Morris-439714 (7/9/2010)

snip...

Got a blog for that....

http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/sqlandthelike/archive/2010/06/27/sql-101-without-order-by-order-is-not-guaranteed.aspx

Heh saved me the trouble, cheers Dave πŸ™‚

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Dave Ballantyne (7/9/2010)

Chris Morris-439714 (7/9/2010)

snip...

Got a blog for that....

Also

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis/archive/2006/12/31/Beatles-vs-Stones.aspx

Deja View - The strange feeling that somewhere, sometime you've optimised this query before

How to get the best help on a forum

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537
  • Does the plan involve a fiber-optic laser assembler?

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• The Dixie Flatline (7/9/2010)

Does the plan involve a fiber-optic laser assembler?

And a flux capacitor?

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 16,201 through 16,215 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply