Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GabyYYZ (7/11/2010)

GilaMonster (7/11/2010)

The Dixie Flatline (7/9/2010)

She showed remarkable restraint against the vuvuzelas. I was checking the news every day expecting to read about carnage in the streets.

The day is still young. The restaurant downstairs is hosting a 'final party', from 6pm til late.

Go Holland! And in honor of Paul the Octopus predicting that Spain would win, I will have calamari today. 🙂

What does calamari have to do with octopus?

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Matt Miller (#4) (7/10/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (7/10/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/10/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (7/10/2010)

Matt Miller (#4) (7/10/2010)

Jeff Moden (7/9/2010)

The Dixie Flatline (7/9/2010)

Jeff, you have hp on the brain.

You need to clean the cages out more often ,,, or naybe less often. 😛

Heh... of just stop sniffing the vapors. 😀

I'm going to regret this. What EXACTLY are you doing with/to that hamster poo anyway?????

It's better than Rogain!! 😎

Speaking from your own personal experiences? 😛

Oh no - I still have a full head of hair.

Sounds like a solid product endorsement to me 😀

He walked right into that one. That's better than having stepped in it. 😛

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Jeff Moden (7/9/2010)

Interesting... PASS accepted my abstract on the Tally Table session. I'm actually a bit surprised at that. I had also submitted an abstract on a new way to do hierarchies that pretty much blows away the HierarchyID datatype and even the "Nested Set" method but that didn't make it even though I thought it was much more interesting. It's ok, though. Looks like I'm going to PASS this year and the Hierarchy session will make a dandy article on SSC.

Looking forward to meeting you folks in person.

Excellent Jeff, congratulations. See you in Novemeber as well as Wednesday. This is great news.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (7/11/2010)

Jeff Moden (7/9/2010)

Interesting... PASS accepted my abstract on the Tally Table session. I'm actually a bit surprised at that. I had also submitted an abstract on a new way to do hierarchies that pretty much blows away the HierarchyID datatype and even the "Nested Set" method but that didn't make it even though I thought it was much more interesting. It's ok, though. Looks like I'm going to PASS this year and the Hierarchy session will make a dandy article on SSC.

Looking forward to meeting you folks in person.

Excellent Jeff, congratulations. See you in Novemeber as well as Wednesday. This is great news.

You bet, Grant. Thanks for the feedback.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Wow... Someone please tell me how this person got the job.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic950419-145-1.aspx

This is one of the reasons I'm so adamant about not posting answers to interview and homework questions. Saying something to such a low form of life would prove fruitless, as well. I'm just going to do an honorary flush of the toilet and move on.

One can only hope this person crashes and burns quickly so that someone who deserves the position can get it.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (7/9/2010)

Ah.... just found another email from Elena... the Tally Table session in "Approved" and the Hierarchy session has been labeled as an "Alternate" in case someone has a problem and can't present. Looks like the SSC article is going to have to wait. 😛

Congratulations. And definitely have the Hierarchy session ready because there are always people who can't make it for some reason. I'd bet that the Dev committee wanted to give you both, but didn't because no one is supposed to do more than 2 sessions and they didn't know if yo had another session in another track.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jeff Moden (7/11/2010)

Wow... Someone please tell me how this person got the job.

This is one of the reasons I'm so adamant about not posting answers to interview and homework questions. Saying something to such a low form of life would prove fruitless, as well. I'm just going to do an honorary flush of the toilet and move on.

One can only hope this person crashes and burns quickly so that someone who deserves the position can get it.

It boggles the mind, eh? I almost posted a few nasty replies, but that would not have been professional.

One problem I've seen in the work place is that are too many managers that do not have enough technological knowledge to properly evaluate the competence of their staff, or the people they hire. Bad apples that get in have too high a survival rate.

I'm like you, I don't like giving answers to those kind of questions (not that I've answered too many questions lately). Maybe we need some sort of certification process. (Kidding. Don't restart that long discussion!)

Alvin Ramard

• Alvin Ramard (7/11/2010)

One problem I've seen in the work place is that are too many managers that do not have enough technological knowledge to properly evaluate the competence of their staff, or the people they hire.

All too true!

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Congrats to everyone from Spain to win the Soccer WC for the first time!!!!!

The first half wasn't as excellent as expected but it went better and better starting with the 2nd half...

Congrats to all from Netherland to finsih the WC better than Germany did.

And, finally: congrats to all of you from South Africa! It was a great tournament and from tomorrow on the vuvuzela noise shouldn't be as loud as tonight/the last few weeks!

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• this got hosed into the wrong thread

Learn Extended Events

• Jeff Moden (7/11/2010)

Didn't post the answer per se, but did give the OP some reading material. I figured somebody is going to come along and answer that question - might as well give the OP a little HW to go along with it.

Learn Extended Events

• lmu92 (7/11/2010)

Congrats to everyone from Spain to win the Soccer WC for the first time!!!!!

The first half wasn't as excellent as expected but it went better and better starting with the 2nd half...

Congrats to all from Netherland to finsih the WC better than Germany did.

And, finally: congrats to all of you from South Africa! It was a great tournament and from tomorrow on the vuvuzela noise shouldn't be as loud as tonight/the last few weeks!

Long live the vuvuzela!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (7/11/2010)

Would you repeat that face to face with Gail? (assuming she can hear you and doesn't still have that bee swarm sound in her ears...)

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• lmu92 (7/11/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (7/11/2010)

Would you repeat that face to face with Gail? (assuming she can hear you and doesn't still have that bee swarm sound in her ears...)

:Whistling:

Possibly would, in jest:-D:-D

It was bad enough on the tv.

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (7/11/2010)

Jeff Moden (7/11/2010)

Didn't post the answer per se, but did give the OP some reading material. I figured somebody is going to come along and answer that question - might as well give the OP a little HW to go along with it.

So much for that. The OP thinks that article was too complex. Either they are trying to get somebody to do it all for them or they are in the wrong line of work.

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 16,261 through 16,275 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply