Are the posted questions getting worse?

• CirquedeSQLeil (7/11/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/11/2010)

One problem I've seen in the work place is that are too many managers that do not have enough technological knowledge to properly evaluate the competence of their staff, or the people they hire.

All too true!

That's why I'd love to see some kind of volunteer effort to offer technical expertise for small to midsize companies when interviewing for technical positions. Maybe there is something out there, but I don't know about it.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jack Corbett (7/11/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (7/11/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/11/2010)

One problem I've seen in the work place is that are too many managers that do not have enough technological knowledge to properly evaluate the competence of their staff, or the people they hire.

All too true!

That's why I'd love to see some kind of volunteer effort to offer technical expertise for small to midsize companies when interviewing for technical positions. Maybe there is something out there, but I don't know about it.

I agree with you Jack, but it's not only happening in small companies. I saw it happen in a company that has (oops, had) an IT staff of 500 people. When that happens, you have to start questioning the knowledge of all the managers, starting with the CIO.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• I added my thoughts to the thread. I think the guy/gal was humble enough, admitting he was in over his head there. I am hoping, with my best effort, that this person is a developer that just hasn't had experience with SQL Server. I have to admit that I was surprised that Jason's BOL link was too complex, but I do understand the that BNF or whatever it's called for structure is intimidating to beginners.

Hopefully he'll learn.

• Steve Jones - Editor (7/11/2010)

I added my thoughts to the thread. I think the guy/gal was humble enough, admitting he was in over his head there. I am hoping, with my best effort, that this person is a developer that just hasn't had experience with SQL Server. I have to admit that I was surprised that Jason's BOL link was too complex, but I do understand the that BNF or whatever it's called for structure is intimidating to beginners.

Hopefully he'll learn.

I wonder if maybe it (the link as an example) just seems too simple for us because we have been working with SQL for a while. Do as anybody find themselves second guessing the complexity of a problem, maybe because they have been doing it for soooo long? Like maybe when you were fresh meat as a DBA or developer and had to do this or that, then do a similar task now and wonder what you were doing way back when.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• lmu92 (7/11/2010)

Long live the vuvuzela!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would you repeat that face to face with Gail? (assuming she can hear you and doesn't still have that bee swarm sound in her ears...)

I still have intermittent buzzing in one ear. Getting better though.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Jack Corbett (7/11/2010)

Jeff Moden (7/9/2010)

Ah.... just found another email from Elena... the Tally Table session in "Approved" and the Hierarchy session has been labeled as an "Alternate" in case someone has a problem and can't present. Looks like the SSC article is going to have to wait. 😛

Congratulations. And definitely have the Hierarchy session ready because there are always people who can't make it for some reason. I'd bet that the Dev committee wanted to give you both, but didn't because no one is supposed to do more than 2 sessions and they didn't know if yo had another session in another track.

Oh yeah! I'll definitely have both ready. Thanks for the feedback and encouragement, Jack.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Steve Jones - Editor (7/11/2010)

I added my thoughts to the thread. I think the guy/gal was humble enough, admitting he was in over his head there. I am hoping, with my best effort, that this person is a developer that just hasn't had experience with SQL Server. I have to admit that I was surprised that Jason's BOL link was too complex, but I do understand the that BNF or whatever it's called for structure is intimidating to beginners.

Hopefully he'll learn.

I wonder if maybe it (the link as an example) just seems too simple for us because we have been working with SQL for a while. Do as anybody find themselves second guessing the complexity of a problem, maybe because they have been doing it for soooo long? Like maybe when you were fresh meat as a DBA or developer and had to do this or that, then do a similar task now and wonder what you were doing way back when.

If things weren't bad enough, here's part of his latest post...

Steve, That is exactly what I was looking for.

I think the person who may hurtfull comments to me should be banned.

I feel really sorry for the guy because he did some serious time in the service, but if he's going to step into a position that he's patently not qualified for (sounds like he was never qualified instead of just "rusty" as he claims), then he'd better grow a little thicker skin.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• GilaMonster (7/11/2010)

lmu92 (7/11/2010)

Long live the vuvuzela!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would you repeat that face to face with Gail? (assuming she can hear you and doesn't still have that bee swarm sound in her ears...)

I still have intermittent buzzing in one ear. Getting better though.

And I'm missing it already

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• I think yesterday it was Emperor Paulpatine's birthday.

Happy birthday, Paul!

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Alvin Ramard (7/11/2010)

Jack Corbett (7/11/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/11/2010)

All too true!

I agree with you Jack, but it's not only happening in small companies. I saw it happen in a company that has (oops, had) an IT staff of 500 people. When that happens, you have to start questioning the knowledge of all the managers, starting with the CIO.

Where I work now has an IT staff around 250 and there was no one to give me a technical interview. I was a bit hesitant to take the job because of that. It does happen.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Lynn Pettis (7/7/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/7/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (7/7/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/7/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/7/2010)

Jeff Moden (7/7/2010)

I'm either getting too old or just lazier in my old age. I no longer fight people who insist on being wrong. I try to help but if someone wants to set their hair on fire, I'll let them so long as they don't take any innocent bystanders out.

You're not the only one Jeff. I've got too many other things to deal with and only so much energy.

That's where dbcc timewarp comes into play

Exec dbcc TimeWarp @Date = '1976-09-01'

Is that the last time you were 19?

Try 14 and a little bit. 😀

I was 17 and a senior in high school. If I knew then what I know now.

lol negative one and a half...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (7/12/2010)

Lynn Pettis (7/7/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/7/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/7/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/7/2010)

Jeff Moden (7/7/2010)

I'm either getting too old or just lazier in my old age. I no longer fight people who insist on being wrong. I try to help but if someone wants to set their hair on fire, I'll let them so long as they don't take any innocent bystanders out.

You're not the only one Jeff. I've got too many other things to deal with and only so much energy.

That's where dbcc timewarp comes into play

Exec dbcc TimeWarp @Date = '1976-09-01'

Is that the last time you were 19?

Try 14 and a little bit. 😀

I was 17 and a senior in high school. If I knew then what I know now.

lol negative one and a half...

The world must've been a cold, dark place back then. Nearly a decade before I was born and added light to the world :hehe:

Forever trying to learn
    My blog - http://www.cadavre.co.uk/
    For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
    For better, quicker answers on SQL Server performance related questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

Steve Jones - Editor (7/11/2010)

Hopefully he'll learn.

Seemed obvious to me that the OP had never programmed an UPDATE statement before.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Congrats Jeff... Hopefully I will see you all at the Pass Summit..!!!!

-Roy

• Alvin Ramard (7/12/2010)

Seemed obvious to me that the OP had never programmed an UPDATE statement before.

Agreed. That's not something that you can just forget. Plus, someone who's done consulting and training on SQL for 4 years shouldn't be finding a Books Online entry complicated. I haven't done C++ since university, but I still remember the basics and can read the help files.

Who's comment do you think he found 'hurtful'? I'd kinda expect a military vet to have a bit of a thicker skin

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 16,276 through 16,290 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply