Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Fellow Threadizens - I'm having problems getting ssis pkgs/maint plans on a second (named) instance on a 2-node cluster running from the standby node. If you can help, please check out this post.

Thanks!

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• CirquedeSQLeil (7/9/2010)

Oh and Congrats Jeff.

Ditto.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (7/12/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/12/2010)

Seemed obvious to me that the OP had never programmed an UPDATE statement before.

Agreed. That's not something that you can just forget. Plus, someone who's done consulting and training on SQL for 4 years shouldn't be finding a Books Online entry complicated. I haven't done C++ since university, but I still remember the basics and can read the help files.

Who's comment do you think he found 'hurtful'? I'd kinda expect a military vet to have a bit of a thicker skin

Gail, I agree with you 100%.

I'm sure he was referring to my comment.

Another thing that made me wonder about the OP was the way he/she communicates. Start a sentence with "like I went to the view i created" and I see warning flags go up right away. (FYI, for those who don't know already, English is not my first language.)

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• CirquedeSQLeil (7/11/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (7/11/2010)

I added my thoughts to the thread. I think the guy/gal was humble enough, admitting he was in over his head there. I am hoping, with my best effort, that this person is a developer that just hasn't had experience with SQL Server. I have to admit that I was surprised that Jason's BOL link was too complex, but I do understand the that BNF or whatever it's called for structure is intimidating to beginners.

Hopefully he'll learn.

I wonder if maybe it (the link as an example) just seems too simple for us because we have been working with SQL for a while. Do as anybody find themselves second guessing the complexity of a problem, maybe because they have been doing it for soooo long? Like maybe when you were fresh meat as a DBA or developer and had to do this or that, then do a similar task now and wonder what you were doing way back when.

I think there's a lot in that. I can remember demonstrating my lack of expertise many times. There are some things I expect people to do right (like pay attention to detail, develop a decent unit test plan and harness, make sure they understand something before they try touse that thing, and all the rest that is generic good practise rather than domain-specific expertise) but I try (not always successfully) to avoid expecting people who are new to something to have an in-depth domain-specific understanding of it, or expecting someone without either a background in language (or parser) design or years of experience learning languages from texts that use BNF syntax descriptions to understand a chunk of BNF at first sight.

Tom

Alvin Ramard (7/12/2010)

Seemed obvious to me that the OP had never programmed an UPDATE statement before.

Agreed. That's not something that you can just forget. Plus, someone who's done consulting and training on SQL for 4 years shouldn't be finding a Books Online entry complicated. I haven't done C++ since university, but I still remember the basics and can read the help files.

Who's comment do you think he found 'hurtful'? I'd kinda expect a military vet to have a bit of a thicker skin

I thought the same thing. I think he was referring to Alvin on the hurtful comment. Maybe something happened over there that made him (the vet) seriously regress?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Jeff Moden (7/9/2010)

I promise to publish it right after PASS if it's not called upon.

🙁 I don't want to wait. I had to build a hierarchy on 2005 (no HierarchyID), so I did my own research and rolled my own implementation. It's not been heavily used, but was getting ready for a big push on it since it is faster and better than the current solution. I'd love to see what you did before I commit to my implementation and get everyone to move over. DRAT! DRAT! DRAT!

Chad

• Alvin Ramard (7/12/2010)

Another thing that made me wonder about the OP was the way he/she communicates. Start a sentence with "like I went to the view i created" and I see warning flags go up right away.

I'm not sure I understand this one. Is there a special meaning behind that "like"?

(FYI, for those who don't know already, English is not my first language.)

Well, Alvin, I would never have figured it out. Your English is perfect.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (7/12/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/12/2010)

Another thing that made me wonder about the OP was the way he/she communicates. Start a sentence with "like I went to the view i created" and I see warning flags go up right away.

I'm not sure I understand this one. Is there a special meaning behind that "like"?

It's highly colloquial, street/teen english (at least here, that's how it is)

"Like, I went for a jol at the club and I like met a cool dude" kind of thing.

Reading over that again, it seems that either English is not his first language, or he's extremely casual with both spelling and grammar.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Chad Crawford (7/12/2010)

Jeff Moden (7/9/2010)

🙁 I don't want to wait. I had to build a hierarchy on 2005 (no HierarchyID), so I did my own research and rolled my own implementation. It's not been heavily used, but was getting ready for a big push on it since it is faster and better than the current solution. I'd love to see what you did before I commit to my implementation and get everyone to move over. DRAT! DRAT! DRAT!

Chad

Publish it now. There's no "great secret" to keep until the presentation. You talking about it will add value to what's written, even if they've read it.

Everything, or nearly everything I see Paul Randal present is written down on his blog or elsewhere. Doesn't change the desire to see him talk.

Gianluca Sartori (7/12/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/12/2010)

Highly colloquial here as well.... See the section on Valspeak here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_girl

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Gianluca Sartori (7/12/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/12/2010)

(FYI, for those who don't know already, English is not my first language.)

Well, Alvin, I would never have figured it out. Your English is perfect.

It fits in with the "The query ran till the disk failed". It's a misunderstanding of the language. I'm sure I'd made similar mistakes if I tried to speak another language as well.

• Thanks Gail.

It's hard to understand that kind of things without living in English-speaking countries...

-- Gianluca Sartori

Gianluca Sartori (7/12/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/12/2010)

It's, you know, very similar here. Some people, you know, pick up the habit, you know, and can't seem to, you know, speak without, you know, repeating that expression. 😀

As far as my knowledge of the English language is concerned, I grew up in a French Canadian community where just about everybody (over 99%) spoke French. We only spoke English in the presence of non-french speaking people. English was taught in school at every grade level and most of our classes used English textbooks. My "English" education was almost the same as it would have been anywhere else in Nova Scotia. Living in French community for 18 years did affect some of the expressions I use. Also French sentence structure can be different than English.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Do we need a new thread: "Are the posted answers getting worse?"

Tom

• Steve Jones - Editor (7/12/2010)

Chad Crawford (7/12/2010)

Jeff Moden (7/9/2010)

Chad

Publish it now. There's no "great secret" to keep until the presentation. You talking about it will add value to what's written, even if they've read it.

Everything, or nearly everything I see Paul Randal present is written down on his blog or elsewhere. Doesn't change the desire to see him talk.

I agree. It also gives you a resource to point attendees to afterwards and/or before.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

Viewing 15 posts - 16,291 through 16,305 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply