Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Alvin Ramard (11/4/2010)

Grant Fritchey (11/4/2010)

GSquared (11/4/2010)

GilaMonster (11/4/2010)

Lynn Pettis (11/4/2010)

Gail, Sounds like all future informal conversations will need to include a member of management.

The 'informal conversation' today (3rd time same issue) had the Project manager present, just so there was someone else there. Just so that there was a 3rd person who could remember more or less what happened.

Heck with that! RECORD the meetings. Most MP3 players can record many hours of meeting conversation. So can many cell phones.

Let them know you're doing so, and say that it's for writing up notes on it later, to include in the project data. Anyone who objects shouldn't be in meetings anyway. It's no more of a big deal than keeping minutes.

I would be tempted to add being tired of being misquoted.

I agree. Just do it openly & no one can complain, or if they do...

Sneaky Devil

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Alvin Ramard (11/4/2010)

GSquared (11/4/2010)

GilaMonster (11/4/2010)

Lynn Pettis (11/4/2010)

Gail, Sounds like all future informal conversations will need to include a member of management.

The 'informal conversation' today (3rd time same issue) had the Project manager present, just so there was someone else there. Just so that there was a 3rd person who could remember more or less what happened.

Heck with that! RECORD the meetings. Most MP3 players can record many hours of meeting conversation. So can many cell phones.

Let them know you're doing so, and say that it's for writing up notes on it later, to include in the project data. Anyone who objects shouldn't be in meetings anyway. It's no more of a big deal than keeping minutes.

I agree. Just do it openly & no one can complain, or if they do...

I would be tempted to add being tired of being misquoted.

EDIT: Brain and hands out of sync, again!

Same here.

hmmmm, maybe I could change my name to Bob's. πŸ˜€

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• GilaMonster (11/4/2010)

I'm seriously considering getting a voice recorder and recording all meetings and discussions. Openly and requesting everyone's permission. For 'documentation' purposes.

It's been a while since one of our vendors asked for recording a meeting. We didn't mind.

Several weeks later we couldn't remember the final decision regarding a minor detail (at least what we thought back then) which turned out to have a rather large influence. The written notes didn't cover the subject. We were glad to have the meeting recorded since we didn't even start to argue about who's being right or wrong.

As a side note: that vendor has been one of the most professional I ever worked with. Brings back memories of the "good old days" :crying:

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• CirquedeSQLeil (11/4/2010)

Has anybody here contemplated changing their name (besides bob err ".") for the forums? I am curious if anybody much cares about the confusion that may drive.

I used to have a handle (and something like 200 points) before I started writing for Steve. Back in the day (3-4 years ago?) he asked that I only publish under my real name, so I switched. Actually, glad I did now.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (11/4/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (11/4/2010)

Has anybody here contemplated changing their name (besides bob err ".") for the forums? I am curious if anybody much cares about the confusion that may drive.

I used to have a handle (and something like 200 points) before I started writing for Steve. Back in the day (3-4 years ago?) he asked that I only publish under my real name, so I switched. Actually, glad I did now.

Yeah - I publish under my real name too. I was thinking of changing to match my twitter and blog.

Learn Extended Events

• Chad Crawford (11/4/2010)

I did at the beginning just to maintain privacy. But after awhile I decided that I wanted my name to be recognized (for good or ill) and it was worthwhile to let people know who I really am. I can't remember if I used to have my real picture up or not...

Sincerely,

Fred.

That's not your real picture??? :w00t:

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

Yeah - I publish under my real name too. I was thinking of changing to match my twitter and blog.

that ought to mess up a few thousand posts where people are using your current handle... if someone goes back to read it, they ought to be really confused.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (11/4/2010)

that ought to mess up a few thousand posts where people are using your current handle... if someone goes back to read it, they ought to be really confused.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe I could add to the signature an AKA

Learn Extended Events

FWIW I find the SQLRunner vs SQLRunr vs SQLRnnr etc etc thing very confusing.

My vote would be to change to your real name everywhere.

SET @ThreadContent += $0.02;

• Paul White NZ (11/4/2010)

FWIW I find the SQLRunner vs SQLRunr vs SQLRnnr etc etc thing very confusing.

My vote would be to change to your real name everywhere.

SET @ThreadContent += $0.02;

Good point - more than one person has been confused by it. Maybe we could use it to our advantage?

Learn Extended Events

• Brandie Tarvin (11/4/2010)

And if she chooses not to, a new topic of discussion. I'll start.

TOPIC: Things you should never tell your parents

How those footprints *really* got on the ceiling.

Avoid this problem by always using the LOWER bunk for any strenuous activity.

Tom

So, if I start posting under "Richard", how many would get confused? ("Gus" is a nickname based on my middle name. It's no more my "real name" than "GSquared" is.)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (11/5/2010)

So, if I start posting under "Richard", how many would get confused? ("Gus" is a nickname based on my middle name. It's no more my "real name" than "GSquared" is.)

You ain't fooling anyone, Sue πŸ˜€

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Chris Morris-439714 (11/5/2010)

GSquared (11/5/2010)

You ain't fooling anyone, Sue πŸ˜€

Sue? I thought it was Mary?

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• GSquared (11/5/2010)

I always wondered how to pronounce "GSquared" πŸ˜€

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution πŸ˜€

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

Viewing 15 posts - 21,196 through 21,210 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply