Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Hey gang - can I get your thoughts on using TFS to deploy database changes?

Thanks!

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Chad Crawford (11/4/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (11/4/2010)

Has anybody here contemplated changing their name (besides bob err ".") for the forums? I am curious if anybody much cares about the confusion that may drive.

I did at the beginning just to maintain privacy. But after awhile I decided that I wanted my name to be recognized (for good or ill) and it was worthwhile to let people know who I really am. I can't remember if I used to have my real picture up or not...

Sincerely,

Fred.

lol

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• WayneS (11/5/2010)

Hey gang - can I get your thoughts on using TFS to deploy database changes?

Thanks!

Posted. Hope that helps.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Paul White NZ (11/4/2010)

Yeah - I publish under my real name too. I was thinking of changing to match my twitter and blog.

FWIW I find the SQLRunner vs SQLRunr vs SQLRnnr etc etc thing very confusing.

My vote would be to change to your real name everywhere.

SET @ThreadContent += $0.02;

I met the other one at the SQL Saturday in Nashville and first thing that popped in my mind was: Aaahh, the other sql runner. (I said it too)

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• CirquedeSQLeil (11/4/2010)

Has anybody here contemplated changing their name (besides bob err ".") for the forums? I am curious if anybody much cares about the confusion that may drive.

Not really, but I do maintain two logins - one for home, one for work. In the unlikely event that someone at work suggests that I'm spending too much time on a job on here, I can refer them to posts from the home login, which I use for the more time-consuming work.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Grant Fritchey (11/5/2010)

Chris Morris-439714 (11/5/2010)

GSquared (11/5/2010)

Grant Fritchey (11/4/2010)

I used to have a handle (and something like 200 points) before I started writing for Steve. Back in the day (3-4 years ago?) he asked that I only publish under my real name, so I switched. Actually, glad I did now.

Yeah - I publish under my real name too. I was thinking of changing to match my twitter and blog.

So, if I start posting under "Richard", how many would get confused? ("Gus" is a nickname based on my middle name. It's no more my "real name" than "GSquared" is.)

You ain't fooling anyone, Sue 😀

Sue? I thought it was Mary?

I thought it was Shirley. (Why do some people spell it Surely?) 🙂

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• CirquedeSQLeil (11/4/2010)

I didn't like "." "; - )" (without the spaces) would have been better.

Alvin Ramard

• Grant Fritchey (11/5/2010)

WayneS (11/5/2010)

Hey gang - can I get your thoughts on using TFS to deploy database changes?

Thanks!

Posted. Hope that helps.

Thanks Grant, it does. Is it a good assumption that the Red Gate book will be their normal e-book in a downloadable pdf?

Wayne

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    Performance Problems

• Yeah, this is where it will be[/url] when they post it.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• By the way, thanks Jason for the link and Steve for the presentation last night, I had to drop off about 7:40 your time but enjoyed what I could see. Always learn something new, and love that you guys use LiveMeeting.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (11/5/2010)

By the way, thanks Jason for the link and Steve for the presentation last night, I had to drop off about 7:40 your time but enjoyed what I could see. Always learn something new, and love that you guys use LiveMeeting.

Thanks - all that despite the perturbing technical difficulties.

Thanks for attending.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (11/5/2010)

jcrawf02 (11/5/2010)

By the way, thanks Jason for the link and Steve for the presentation last night, I had to drop off about 7:40 your time but enjoyed what I could see. Always learn something new, and love that you guys use LiveMeeting.

Thanks - all that despite the perturbing technical difficulties.

Thanks for attending.

I tried - I'm not sure if the problem was at your end or mine, but at the beginning I could get either video or audio - but not both. After you did your powerpoint preview, it just stayed stuck there.

I did see Steve in his wild hat/shirt combo briefly. All I can say about that is it sure was one loud outfit!:w00t:

Wayne

Links:
    Performance Problems

• WayneS (11/4/2010)

Chad Crawford (11/4/2010)

I did at the beginning just to maintain privacy. But after awhile I decided that I wanted my name to be recognized (for good or ill) and it was worthwhile to let people know who I really am. I can't remember if I used to have my real picture up or not...

Sincerely,

Fred.

That's not your real picture??? :w00t:

That was such a bad hair day, but it was the only picture I had to upload at the time.

• Ah Crap and double crap. Hurricane Tomas is threatening again. It is turning to the east and the tail is once again coming over the island. Why cant it just leave us alone and go away....

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (11/5/2010)

Ah Crap and double crap. Hurricane Tomas is threatening again. It is turning to the east and the tail is once again coming over the island. Why cant it just leave us alone and go away....

Eeep. Is there time to pack up and go somewhere else?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 21,211 through 21,225 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply