Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Alvin Ramard (11/5/2010)

Does dislocating my shoulder at least 13 times count?

Surgery twice didn't completely fix the problem. 🙁

Hasn't the doctor told you to "stop doing that" yet?

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/5/2010)

Alvin Ramard (11/5/2010)

Does dislocating my shoulder at least 13 times count?

Surgery twice didn't completely fix the problem. 🙁

Hasn't the doctor told you to "stop doing that" yet?

He did, but then it happened doing something else.

I was told that after 1st time there's a 25% chance that it will happen again. After 2nd time, 50% chance. After 3rd? Probably 100% chance.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Jack Corbett (11/5/2010)

Diagnosis is in. Displaced fracture about 2 inches below the elbow which requires surgery to be set properly. Local ortho doesn't do kids (which makes me happy) so they are shipping Evan to Arnold Palmer Children's hospital for the procedure. He gets an ambulance ride there.

Dang. I was hoping for something simpler. Best for all during this.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (11/5/2010)

Jack Corbett (11/5/2010)

Diagnosis is in. Displaced fracture about 2 inches below the elbow which requires surgery to be set properly. Local ortho doesn't do kids (which makes me happy) so they are shipping Evan to Arnold Palmer Children's hospital for the procedure. He gets an ambulance ride there.

Dang. I was hoping for something simpler. Best for all during this.

Me too! Fortunately kids heal fast.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• tosscrosby (11/5/2010)

ALZDBA (11/5/2010)

Jack Corbett (11/5/2010)

Today my oldest son (9) fell off a swing, landed wrong on his arm and is on the way to the ER with his mother because I'm pretty sure he broke it or dislocated his elbow. Hoping it isn't too bad and that he doesn't have to wait too long at the ER.

Big bummer for any parent, especially for the one who is preparing to travel.

I hope everything turns out for the best.

My wife always said "I'm glad we didn't have boys"! My nephews, broken bones, stitches, etc. I have two girls and so far, no ER trips....

Consider yourself lucky. I have three girls and every one of them have been to the emergency room for something; broke bone, torn muscle, allergic reaction to vagisil, deep cuts, severe croup (sp?), severe concussion, mva.

• Lynn Pettis (11/5/2010)

tosscrosby (11/5/2010)

ALZDBA (11/5/2010)

Jack Corbett (11/5/2010)

Today my oldest son (9) fell off a swing, landed wrong on his arm and is on the way to the ER with his mother because I'm pretty sure he broke it or dislocated his elbow. Hoping it isn't too bad and that he doesn't have to wait too long at the ER.

Big bummer for any parent, especially for the one who is preparing to travel.

I hope everything turns out for the best.

My wife always said "I'm glad we didn't have boys"! My nephews, broken bones, stitches, etc. I have two girls and so far, no ER trips....

Consider yourself lucky. I have three girls and every one of them have been to the emergency room for something; broke bone, torn muscle, allergic reaction to vagisil, deep cuts, severe croup (sp?), severe concussion, mva.

That one takes the cake. I'll take my busted knees, torn rotator cuff, and 14 broken bones instead of that any day.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

Is Evan like almost any other kid? If so, I'd expect he's talking more about the ambulance ride than the reason for doing it (as long as the fracture doesn't really hurt badly)...

Something like "Hey dad, they turned on the sirene for me at the crossroad! Cool!!" (I hope he does since it helps parents too to deal with such a situation...)

All the best to Evan and some extra strong nerves for you and your wife!!!

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• LutzM (11/5/2010)

I hope he does since it helps parents too to deal with such a situation...)

Isn't this the truth. Parents tend to be OMG and all stressed out - kids are more "this is kinda cool (just wish it would stop hurting)"

Wayne

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    Performance Problems

• LutzM (11/5/2010)

Jack Corbett (11/5/2010)

Is Evan like almost any other kid? If so, I'd expect he's talking more about the ambulance ride than the reason for doing it (as long as the fracture doesn't really hurt badly)...

Something like "Hey dad, they turned on the sirene for me at the crossroad! Cool!!" (I hope he does since it helps parents too to deal with such a situation...)

He did talk more about the ambulance ride, but more about being disappointed because they didn't use the lights and siren and got stuck in traffic on I-4.

Here's the latest update:

The doctors at Arnold Palmer took some more x-rays as they thought there might be some damage that was not showing on the x-rays taken in Sanford. Turns out that they were right. Evan has a fracture of his ulna and a fracture of his radius where the radius and humerus meet at the elbow. After the x-rays they put his arm in a temporary cast/splint because they will not be working on it until tomorrow (Saturday). It looks like they will be working on his arm about noon. They want to try to reduce the fractures without cutting first, but did say that it probably won't work so they will have to go in and will have to put a plate and some screws to stabilize the ulnar fracture. They believe that they can just move the radial fracture back into the proper position without any screws.

He will be in the hospital until at least Sunday.

I, Jack, was planning on leaving Sunday for a conference in Seattle, but will be, at the least moving my departure to Monday, if not cancelling my trip.

Evan has been a real trooper throughout the ordeal. He has barely cried at all, even though he has been told many times that it is okay to cry, even by me. His biggest complaint was that he was very hungry because he was not allowed to eat until about 10pm because there was the possibility that they would have done the surgery tonight. Alice and I are very proud of how he has handled himself. He even asked the doctors and nurses some good questions.

Oh, and I hope I never deal with a child with an allergic reaction to vagisil.:-D

Jack Corbett

• Jack,

It sounds like the doctor's are really on top of this, and that in time Evan will be 100%. I'm very sorry that he had this accident, and that you might be canceling your trip to PASS.

Wayne

Links:
    Performance Problems

LutzM (11/5/2010)

Jack Corbett (11/5/2010)

He did talk more about the ambulance ride, but more about being disappointed because they didn't use the lights and siren and got stuck in traffic on I-4.

Here's the latest update:

The doctors at Arnold Palmer took some more x-rays as they thought there might be some damage that was not showing on the x-rays taken in Sanford. Turns out that they were right. Evan has a fracture of his ulna and a fracture of his radius where the radius and humerus meet at the elbow. After the x-rays they put his arm in a temporary cast/splint because they will not be working on it until tomorrow (Saturday). It looks like they will be working on his arm about noon. They want to try to reduce the fractures without cutting first, but did say that it probably won't work so they will have to go in and will have to put a plate and some screws to stabilize the ulnar fracture. They believe that they can just move the radial fracture back into the proper position without any screws.

He will be in the hospital until at least Sunday.

I, Jack, was planning on leaving Sunday for a conference in Seattle, but will be, at the least moving my departure to Monday, if not cancelling my trip.

Evan has been a real trooper throughout the ordeal. He has barely cried at all, even though he has been told many times that it is okay to cry, even by me. His biggest complaint was that he was very hungry because he was not allowed to eat until about 10pm because there was the possibility that they would have done the surgery tonight. Alice and I are very proud of how he has handled himself. He even asked the doctors and nurses some good questions.

Oh, and I hope I never deal with a child with an allergic reaction to vagisil.:-D

It sounds likeyour son is in good hands and that he's a real trooper about all of this. How did things work out after the surgery?

Man, I'm sorry you're going through this. How are you and you're wife doing?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Shifting gears, I'm alive and well and in the Paramount hotel in Seattle which is located and 8th and Pine... just a couple of blocks from the convention center. I'll be able to walk there.

I got here yesterday (Saturday), took my time unpacking, had a great meal (2 actually... I was hungry) at the Dragon's Tail restaurant downstairs. Their Lemon-Grass and Vodka Lime-Ricky Shrimp appetizer is absolutely out of this world. They also serve an all-American breakfast which I'm going to take part in as soon as I run through the rain locker.

On Friday, Elena Sebastiano sent me an email asking if I could do the "million row hierarchy" presentation I'd previously submitted an abstract for. Apparently, someone had to back out on one of their's. Since it was previously rejected, I never finished the presentation and told her if I could submit it late Monday evening that I could, indeed, give the presentation. She accepted.

With that in mind, I won't have a whole lot of time to socialize on Sunday (today) or Monday because the presentation is scheduled for Tuesday afternoon. I AM going to make the SSC party for a couple of hours, though.

Tuesday will be a bit busy. Tally table presentation in the morning, Birds-of-a-Feather Luncheon, Hierarchy presentation in the afternoon. The cool part about that is... mostly no responsibilities after that.

I didn't sleep to well on my first night here. I forgot how noisy cities actually are. Even with a fan on in the room, buzz-mufflers on little cars and big ol' diesel trucks make a hell of a lot of noise...

I'll also be in town all day Friday and I'll be going to the MVP dinner on Friday night if nothing goes wrong. I'm leaving very early on Saturday morning so I have Sunday to try to get back in the groove on the time-zone change.

As a side bar, I bought a new HP-G71 notebook last February in anticipation of the PASS Summit. I finally powered it up a couple of weeks ago and, I have to tell you, I love it. It has a 17" display, a dual core 64 bit processor, 4 Gig of ram, Windows 7 and a full size keyboard with a numeric keypad very much like a typical 101 keyboard except that the non-direction navigational keys (home, pgup, etc) are a row of keys above the numeric keypad but I very quickly adapted. I hate touch pads (my fat ol' thumbs keep popping it) and so I really appreciate the fact that I can turn it off with the push of a button so only the wireless mouse works. The laptop uses mostly "passive" cooling, doesn't get hot at all unless the harddisk has been going nuts for an hour (first defrag and virus did that) and then one of the quietest fans I've ever heard on a laptop kicks in. Except for the fact that I've been spoiled by a backlit keyboard on my home desktop box and the fact that it's a little heavier than most folks who travel would like (not to mentaion its size isn't really good for in-flight use... pull down tray is almost too small and seat ahead of you keeps you from opening it fully), this machine is absolutely awesome as a computer away from home.

I don't care much for Office 2007 or later so I installed Office 2k3 on it. I also have the latest copy of CorelDraw (X5) and SQL Serer 2008. I'll need to install 2K8 R2 in the near future as well as 2K5 to support legacy clients but I'm mostly ready to Rock'n'Roll on this bad boy.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Sounds like you're having fun, Jeff. New machines are always nice. Think about a cheap SSD to add to it if you can instead of a DVD drive. Paul Randal was raving about his dual SSDs last week. I need to ermove my DVD drive from the Lenovo and add an SSD in it's place. Excellent for VMs.

• Evan is doing okay, but is in a lot of pain still. Hoping to bring him home this evening, but may not be able to because of his pain.

Alice and I and the other 2 kids are surviving, but Alice is tired of being at the hospital, I'm tired of having her at the hospital and the kids have had enough of Evan getting all the attention.

I did have to cancel my trip to the Summit so I don't get to meet Jeff and Roy, and any other threadizens that are attending the Summit this year. I'm hoping to meet y'all at a SQLSaturday or SQLRally.

Jack Corbett

• Jeff Moden (11/7/2010)

Shifting gears, I'm alive and well and in the Paramount hotel in Seattle which is located and 8th and Pine... just a couple of blocks from the convention center. I'll be able to walk there.

I'm staying there too. :hehe:

Are you going to Lowels this evening ?

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

Viewing 15 posts - 21,241 through 21,255 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply