Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jack Corbett (11/7/2010)

Evan is doing okay, but is in a lot of pain still. Hoping to bring him home this evening, but may not be able to because of his pain.

Alice and I and the other 2 kids are surviving, but Alice is tired of being at the hospital, I'm tired of having her at the hospital and the kids have had enough of Evan getting all the attention.

I did have to cancel my trip to the Summit so I don't get to meet Jeff and Roy, and any other threadizens that are attending the Summit this year. I'm hoping to meet y'all at a SQLSaturday or SQLRally.

I hope he recovers soon.

To bad for your conference, but the place you are needed most now is at home. No doubt about that.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• does this qualify?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1017057-391-1.aspx?Update=1

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• Henrico Bekker (11/8/2010)

does this qualify?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1017057-391-1.aspx?Update=1%5B/quote%5D

Team viewer!!! Gone beyond the realms of tell me how to do my work , to ACTUALLY do my work.

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (11/5/2010)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/5/2010)

Alvin Ramard (11/5/2010)

Does dislocating my shoulder at least 13 times count?

Surgery twice didn't completely fix the problem. 🙁

Hasn't the doctor told you to "stop doing that" yet?

He did, but then it happened doing something else.

I was told that after 1st time there's a 25% chance that it will happen again. After 2nd time, 50% chance. After 3rd? Probably 100% chance.

You're one of those guys who walks in with your arm pointed the wrong way, says "it's just my shoulder again", and slams it into the fridge to "fix" it, aren't you?

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

Evan is doing okay, but is in a lot of pain still. Hoping to bring him home this evening, but may not be able to because of his pain.

Alice and I and the other 2 kids are surviving, but Alice is tired of being at the hospital, I'm tired of having her at the hospital and the kids have had enough of Evan getting all the attention.

I did have to cancel my trip to the Summit so I don't get to meet Jeff and Roy, and any other threadizens that are attending the Summit this year. I'm hoping to meet y'all at a SQLSaturday or SQLRally.

Jack, sorry to hear all that, hope that Evan will start feeling better soon. I've never had the pleasure of breaking any bones, other than my toe, which doesn't really count, but I understand that it just plain hurts for quite a while.

Almost makes me feel bad about all those tricks we played on my brother when he broke his leg, changing the height of his crutches, popping the ball bearings in and turning it sideways so it wouldn't catch, etc...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Jack, Sorry to hear about your son. As someone who has done the broken arm and three surgeries (to correct a genetic defect that breaking the arm discovered), I have experience on it being no fun. I hope your son does a quick recovery. Sounds like the surgeons there are on the ball and will put your son's arm back together again as best they can.

If my genetic defeat (one of the bones in the forearm wasn't growing properly) hadn't been discovered, I probably would have lost all use of my right hand as the bones in the wrist would have lost all support. Luckily I am left-handed and I had a good orthopedic surgeon to correct the defect. I, too, had the metal plate and screws in my arm for a year. The most annoying part of that was they wouldn't give me the plate as a souvenir.

Hope your son is back up and about soon. Best wishes to you and your family.

-- Kit

• jcrawf02 (11/8/2010)

Alvin Ramard (11/5/2010)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/5/2010)

Alvin Ramard (11/5/2010)

Does dislocating my shoulder at least 13 times count?

Surgery twice didn't completely fix the problem. 🙁

Hasn't the doctor told you to "stop doing that" yet?

He did, but then it happened doing something else.

I was told that after 1st time there's a 25% chance that it will happen again. After 2nd time, 50% chance. After 3rd? Probably 100% chance.

You're one of those guys who walks in with your arm pointed the wrong way, says "it's just my shoulder again", and slams it into the fridge to "fix" it, aren't you?

I've been able to fix it myself 2 or 3 times. The first time was my first morning in Argentina. Thank God it worked!!!!!

I've had one sort of horror story. Several doctors failed to get it back in place at 2 different hospitals. (Oh the joys of living in small rural communities.) It's now 24 hours later in a city hospital. One intern tries and tries with no luck. Orthopedic surgeon is now available. They're about to wheel me into the OR, just in case something goes wrong. I'm half way through the doorway when the surgeon shows up. (FYI, he's one of Canada's leading ortopedics surgeons; head doctor for the Canadian olympic team on several occasion.) He grabs by arm; puts tension on it; slowly turning my arm outwards; and about 20 seconds later I go: "It's in."

It's like SQL. Things work much better when you use the right method.

I do not recommend the Mel Gibson method. I lean forward pulling my arm straight down while I try to twist it outwards.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Jack, like everybody else, I hope Evan starts feeling better quickly and has a speedy recovering.

I think I can understand how you feel about the summit. This year was going to be my first time going. I had to cancel because of a work commitment.

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Jack, I'll chime in with the chorus. Sending good vibes and best wishes fora speedy recovery!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Just curious -- other than Steve and Grant (both of whom I saw on the speakers list -- looking forward to seeing you guys again), are any Threadizens going to SQL Saturday #59 down in NYC?

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Does this count? http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1017255-1292-1.aspx

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (11/8/2010)

Does this count? http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1017255-1292-1.aspx

Another case of someone trying to walk before learning how to stand up, along with not paying attention.

We have to convince Microsoft to stop assigning SSC fourums to the F1 key!!!

Alvin Ramard

Interesting - I always thought that when creating a procedure with parameters, that all of the parameters were to be in a set of parenthesis. I never knew the parenthesis were optional...

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

Handled with the patience of Job...(or was that resignation).

Gaby

Been guilty of that a few times myself. Service Broker was my last occurence of that.

Me: "Alright, I've got endpoints going cross domain, multi-dialog conversations going, proper send/recieve/close xml going back and forth, got the xml behaving itself, and I'm getting something odd here, can't detect the endpoint..."

Fellow DBA: "Have you made sure that it works in just a single database yet? This is the first time we're working with this."

Me: "Ummmmm..... Get back to you on that."

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

Viewing 15 posts - 21,256 through 21,270 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply