Are the posted questions getting worse?

• WayneS (11/8/2010)

Interesting - I always thought that when creating a procedure with parameters, that all of the parameters were to be in a set of parenthesis. I never knew the parenthesis were optional...

That's functions. I never used parentheses with procedures until a year or so ago when I noticed someone doing it. I've sort of adopted it since then for consistency's sake...

• GabyYYZ (11/8/2010)

GilaMonster (11/8/2010)

Does this count? http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1017255-1292-1.aspx

Handled with the patience of Job...(or was that resignation).

The latter.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Craig Farrell (11/8/2010)

GilaMonster (11/8/2010)

Does this count? http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1017255-1292-1.aspx

Been guilty of that a few times myself. Service Broker was my last occurence of that.

I did much the same with service broker. Tried it cross instance first then, when I just couldn't get the messages to send, moved back to a single instance. I think there's a difference between reading up on something and then trying the hardest option first and trying something simple and not even trying to find simple syntax mistakes.

I'm betting you did some investigation before going to the other DBA.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Paul White NZ (11/8/2010)

WayneS (11/8/2010)

Interesting - I always thought that when creating a procedure with parameters, that all of the parameters were to be in a set of parenthesis. I never knew the parenthesis were optional...

That's functions. I never used parentheses with procedures until a year or so ago when I noticed someone doing it. I've sort of adopted it since then for consistency's sake...

I think I'll do the same, I haven't been using them at all, but it makes more sense (now anyway it'll probably bother me if I don't :-P)

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Minor derail. I wrote up an article in the editor here that I'm working on. I'm not sure how to give a link or visibility to another for review. For those that have worked with it before, how do you go about allowing another to proofread it? Just copy/paste to a text file and email it?

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Craig Farrell (11/8/2010)

Minor derail. I wrote up an article in the editor here that I'm working on. I'm not sure how to give a link or visibility to another for review. For those that have worked with it before, how do you go about allowing another to proofread it? Just copy/paste to a text file and email it?

Just put it into a text editor and email it.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (11/8/2010)

Craig Farrell (11/8/2010)

Minor derail. I wrote up an article in the editor here that I'm working on. I'm not sure how to give a link or visibility to another for review. For those that have worked with it before, how do you go about allowing another to proofread it? Just copy/paste to a text file and email it?

Just put it into a text editor and email it.

Was afraid of that, the encoding doesn't seem to behave well for fonts/headers. Recommendations on keeping that straight?

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

• Forget the online text editor... put it into a word document. Steve will convert it.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (11/8/2010)

Forget the online text editor... put it into a word document. Steve will convert it.

NOW you tell me... πŸ˜›

- Craig Farrell

• Jeff - you replaced a SharePoint 2010 presentation that was moved to Thursday. It seems to have replaced a session on High Performance Functions.

If I'm able to make it to your session (I was scheduled to be elsewhere), I'll be the one asking Sharepoint questions every 5 minutes πŸ˜›

Chad

• WayneS (11/8/2010)

Forget the online text editor... put it into a word document. Steve will convert it.

Seriously?

I have always converted it myself.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• WayneS (11/8/2010)

Yeah, it's only the uninitiated (and those have far too much spare time) who use that blasted online editor junk. πŸ˜‰ :hehe:

Gail Shaw

• I've written mine in Word.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Colour Ereader announced (newscientist.com). I know there are interested folks here - you can now buy one.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Chris Morris-439714 (11/9/2010)

[-- link deleted --] I know there are interested folks here - you can now buy one.

What a useless write up that was. You think they could have mentioned the size of the display!!

OH OH. Anti-virus just picked up something on my computer. Computer stopped responding as I went to that page.

Delete that link!!!!!

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 21,271 through 21,285 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply