Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Whacked the link above.

There is a new B&N Nook using color. It uses the iPad screen: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookcolor/index.asp?cm_sp=Gateway-_-NOOKcolor-_-Large%20Product%20Image&cds2Pid=30919

I also saw a link about color e-ink: http://mashable.com/2010/11/09/color-e-ink/

To me, however, the iPad is a better deal (although more expensive) right now since it allows you to purchase from multiple places. I was hoping for a good Android tablet to help drive prices down, but there's a premium now, the Samsung one is $599 and I don't see anyone coming in with a $299 right now. Maybe in a couple years.

• Microsoft will likely be releasing a tablet type PC in the spring. If it's not too heavy, then it might be the best choice for a reader.

I'm sticking with my black and white Kindle for now.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Steve you need to whack the quoted link too.

โ€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.โ€ - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Chris Morris-439714 (11/9/2010)

Steve you need to whack the quoted link too.

Done.

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (11/9/2010)

Chris Morris-439714 (11/9/2010)

Steve you need to whack the quoted link too.

Done.

Thanks Alvin.

โ€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.โ€ - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

[-- link deleted --] I know there are interested folks here - you can now buy one.

What a useless write up that was. You think they could have mentioned the size of the display!!

OH OH. Anti-virus just picked up something on my computer. Computer stopped responding as I went to that page.

Delete that link!!!!!

Chris, just to clear things up, thanks for the info. It's not your fault it was a bad link. I just wish the writers had added more useful information.

Alvin Ramard

Alvin Ramard (11/9/2010)

[-- link deleted --] I know there are interested folks here - you can now buy one.

What a useless write up that was. You think they could have mentioned the size of the display!!

OH OH. Anti-virus just picked up something on my computer. Computer stopped responding as I went to that page.

Delete that link!!!!!

Chris, just to clear things up, thanks for the info. It's not your fault it was a bad link. I just wish the writers had added more useful information.

Hey, no worries Alvin, I know your online persona better than that ๐Ÿ™‚

It was a bit crap wasn't it? Disappointing for NS.

Microsoft will likely be releasing a tablet type PC in the spring. If it's not too heavy, then it might be the best choice for a reader.

Me too. Gonna wait a bit for the color stuff. A tablet that uses E-Ink might be the way to go if someone can mesh the technologies. I've seen some neat development ideas on tablets/portable computers over the years form Microsoft. Hopefully something will gel and be available to the market.

I, for one, refuse to get anything put out by Apple. I dislike their business practices as I don't like being forced to run my computer the way Steve Jobs thinks I should run it.

I find it very interesting that Android phones are now out selling iPhones by 2 to 1.

-- Kit

• Kit G (11/9/2010)

Alvin Ramard (11/9/2010)

Microsoft will likely be releasing a tablet type PC in the spring. If it's not too heavy, then it might be the best choice for a reader.

Me too. Gonna wait a bit for the color stuff. A tablet that uses E-Ink might be the way to go if someone can mesh the technologies. I've seen some neat development ideas on tablets/portable computers over the years form Microsoft. Hopefully something will gel and be available to the market.

I, for one, refuse to get anything put out by Apple. I dislike their business practices as I don't like being forced to run my computer the way Steve Jobs thinks I should run it.

I find it very interesting that Android phones are now out selling iPhones by 2 to 1.

No arguments there.

I still have an iPod but I don't use it anymore. I got tired of dealing with iTunes. I now use a Zune HD.

I refuse to buy any else from Apple as long as they control it's use the way they do.

iPad may be a great product, but with Apple controlling what you can run on it, it's not for me!

Don't forget, it was an apple that got Adam and Eve in trouble. ๐Ÿ˜€

Alvin Ramard

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/9/2010)

To me, however, the iPad is a better deal (although more expensive) right now since it allows you to purchase from multiple places.

My thoughts too. Plus iPad allows writing (articles/blog posts, etc) and other sundry apps. I usually get a fair amount of writing done on long plan trips.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Kit G (11/9/2010)

Alvin Ramard (11/9/2010)

I'm not sure I find Google or Microsoft much worse than Apple. Plenty of monopolistic practices by all of them. I personally like that Apple reviews the apps. It's not perfect, but it does have a higher level of quality across the apps. My iPhone is jailbroken, so I can run other stuff, but again, quite a bit of that stuff is of lower quality. The stuff I get from iTunes just seems to work.

However I understand the argument. If that's your thing, more power to you. I think the iPhone is a more polished platform than Android, but the gap is closing fast. Haven't seen WinMo 7, but I have a Win 7 tablet, and it's miles behind the iPad.

I use what works. The PC desktop/iPhone works for me, but if I moved back to Android the only complaint from me would be that the music sync isn't clean. iTunes just works for me, though to be honest, I tend to buy music from Amazon at $0.99 instead of most things being $1.29 from Apple. That's partly a music publishers decision, and it's their right.

If Apple moved the iPhone to all carriers, I wonder if Android would still be outselling? Lots of people don't like Apple, but lots do. I think they have cool products, but they're also just more polished, IMHO.

Kit G (11/9/2010)

Alvin Ramard (11/9/2010)

I'm not sure I find Google or Microsoft much worse than Apple. Plenty of monopolistic practices by all of them. I personally like that Apple reviews the apps. It's not perfect, but it does have a higher level of quality across the apps. My iPhone is jailbroken, so I can run other stuff, but again, quite a bit of that stuff is of lower quality. The stuff I get from iTunes just seems to work.

However I understand the argument. If that's your thing, more power to you. I think the iPhone is a more polished platform than Android, but the gap is closing fast. Haven't seen WinMo 7, but I have a Win 7 tablet, and it's miles behind the iPad.

I use what works. The PC desktop/iPhone works for me, but if I moved back to Android the only complaint from me would be that the music sync isn't clean. iTunes just works for me, though to be honest, I tend to buy music from Amazon at $0.99 instead of most things being $1.29 from Apple. That's partly a music publishers decision, and it's their right.

If Apple moved the iPhone to all carriers, I wonder if Android would still be outselling? Lots of people don't like Apple, but lots do. I think they have cool products, but they're also just more polished, IMHO.

I've never come across a situation where I could not install something on a device because Microsoft would not allow it, with the exception of Microsoft software that was not licensed/supported for/on that platform. You can't say that about the iPad or iPhone. I'm basing this comment on jailbreaking not being an acceptable option.

Microsoft must still produce quality products before I would buy them. I don't care how much better Microsoft's policies might be with the new WinMo 7 phones or the upcoming tablet, if the performance/usefulness is not worth the price, I'm not buying. I do not discriminate when it comes to deciding what not to buy!

Alvin Ramard

• Very true, Alvin, but I'd argue that I've come across lots of stuff that I "shouldn't" install on an MS device. And with Apple having hundreds of thousands of apps, almost all written by non-Apple companies, I'd argue it's fairly open.

Now it is an issue that they are so slow to approve some things and there are some random decisions made. That part I do disagree with, but on balance, I like it.

Very true, Alvin, but I'd argue that I've come across lots of stuff that I "shouldn't" install on an MS device. And with Apple having hundreds of thousands of apps, almost all written by non-Apple companies, I'd argue it's fairly open.

Now it is an issue that they are so slow to approve some things and there are some random decisions made. That part I do disagree with, but on balance, I like it.

I agree that there are things that should not be installed for a multitude of reasons. I just don't want the manufacturer blindly telling me I can't do it. I do not have a problem with them saying they don't support it, or don't recommend it.

Alvin Ramard

• Edited. Decided there was no good point to my post.

Viewing 15 posts - 21,286 through 21,300 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply