Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GSquared (6/21/2011)

SSIS job and they don't know about derived columns????

Is that the part where I make something up and hope it fits with the rest of the data?

@=)

How can you avoid that one?

If you've never had to deal with connectors, sources, and destinations other that OLE DB, you may never actually use that task, actually. But I don't know many places that uses SSIS without needing to use flat files, excel sheets, etc.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (6/21/2011)

If you've never had to deal with connectors, sources, and destinations other that OLE DB, you may never actually use that task, actually. But I don't know many places that uses SSIS without needing to use flat files, excel sheets, etc.

A lot of folks haven't, Brandie, and if it was advertised as an ETL or warehouse position I'd expect more of those types of folks, get the data moved, THEN I'll manipulate it. We are purposely trying to leverage both sides of the optimization possible, SSIS and T-SQL staging tables, and it's advertised in particular for SSIS.

I don't know of anyone who hasn't gotten their start in SSIS doing the simple tasks like you describe. At some point though you usually at least accidentally drag one of the other controls on screen... πŸ˜€

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

GSquared (6/21/2011)

Is that the part where I make something up and hope it fits with the rest of the data?

@=)

If you're just doing a database port from one schema to another, you don't need to use flatfiles or any source other than OLEDB.

Then again, you'll probably still want derived columns to help you fit the new columns and columns sizes.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Lynn Pettis (6/21/2011)

Trying to get things done before going to Seattle for an interview with MS on Friday.

Good luck!!

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• GabyYYZ (6/20/2011)

Well, MVP is the highest official accolade from MS

Not sure that's true, MCM would rank higher than MVP, I would think. Depends what you're measuring, I suppose.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (6/21/2011)

GabyYYZ (6/20/2011)

Not sure that's true, MCM would rank higher than MVP, I would think. Depends what you're measuring, I suppose.

Steak and watermelon.

Totally different things, awarded differently, for different purposes, based on different things.

MCM = technical exams.

MVP = community contributions.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • RBarryYoung (6/20/2011)

Jeff Moden (6/19/2011)

Major vent... suppressed. πŸ˜€ ...

Ahh, how you've grown, my son. πŸ˜€

yeah, except he still can't spell "repressed"

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• GilaMonster (6/21/2011)

jcrawf02 (6/21/2011)

GabyYYZ (6/20/2011)

Steak and watermelon.

Totally different things, awarded differently, for different purposes, based on different things.

MCM = technical exams.

hm, sounds like a good meal πŸ˜‰

that was my point, actually, being an MVP doesn't necessarily mean you're the best at what you do, but that you're excellent at helping others. Being the best at what you do doesn't mean that you're any good *at all* at helping others.

It's great when the skills overlap, like most of you guys, but "steak" doesn't guarantee "watermelon"

...and, now I'm hungry...

• jcrawf02 (6/21/2011)

GilaMonster (6/21/2011)

jcrawf02 (6/21/2011)

GabyYYZ (6/20/2011)

Steak and watermelon.

MCM = technical exams.

hm, sounds like a good meal πŸ˜‰

that was my point, actually, being an MVP doesn't necessarily mean you're the best at what you do, but that you're excellent at helping others. Being the best at what you do doesn't mean that you're any good *at all* at helping others.

It's great when the skills overlap, like most of you guys, but "steak" doesn't guarantee "watermelon"

...and, now I'm hungry...

dito:w00t:

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution πŸ˜€

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

GSquared (6/21/2011)

@=)

And if you're dealing purely within the world of OLE DB and nothing even as basic as derived columns, I'd expect that SSIS is kind of overkill for that, and a linked server is probably all you really need.

Regardless, I was joking anyway.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• SQLRNNR (6/21/2011)

Maybe Paul? I need to delve into CLR for reasons other than this - but it would be nice.

Phrase #5, I think...

• Stefan Krzywicki (6/21/2011)

I spent the weekend visiting friends in Richmond. House prices down there are really low, but I don't know that there's enough of a market down there and I don't like the area very much. Phoenix strikes me similarly and doesn't have the draw of old friends.

Richmond, VA? That's the general area where I'm at.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (6/21/2011)

Stefan Krzywicki (6/21/2011)

I spent the weekend visiting friends in Richmond. House prices down there are really low, but I don't know that there's enough of a market down there and I don't like the area very much. Phoenix strikes me similarly and doesn't have the draw of old friends.

Richmond, VA? That's the general area where I'm at.

Now that is a coincidence, close to where Steve Jones once lived, and close to where I did the same. Welcome to the south, hope you have time to take in the historic sites, civil war battle fields and such.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Just an update, the horse looks good. Vet came today, said there will be a scar, but full recovery expected.

• jcrawf02 (6/21/2011)

RBarryYoung (6/20/2011)

Jeff Moden (6/19/2011)

Major vent... suppressed. πŸ˜€ ...

Ahh, how you've grown, my son. πŸ˜€

yeah, except he still can't spell "repressed"

Hmmm, "suppressed" or "repressed", which word should be used?

Suppressed - to hold down

Repressed - to force down

Well, I'd guess either could be used depending on the intensity of the vent. But...it is a "major" vent after all.

Ya know, this seems like a good SSIS question. Who cares that they don't know what a Data Flow Task does. πŸ˜›

Steve.

Viewing 15 posts - 27,526 through 27,540 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply