Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeff Moden (6/23/2011)

Craig Farrell (6/20/2011)

Don't even get me started on the incredibly interesting answers I've gotten for "Describe two differences between Truncate and Delete".

BWAAA-HAAA!!!! Such easy questions! πŸ˜‰ Everyone knows they're spelled differently and have a different number of letters! :hehe:

That one I have to pass on to my boss!

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Jeff Moden (6/23/2011)

Craig Farrell (6/20/2011)

Don't even get me started on the incredibly interesting answers I've gotten for "Describe two differences between Truncate and Delete".

BWAAA-HAAA!!!! Such easy questions! πŸ˜‰ Everyone knows they're spelled differently and have a different number of letters! :hehe:

They are?

Truncate = D R O P T A B L E

Delete = D R O P T A B L E

I don't see the diff.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (6/23/2011)

They are?

I don't see the diff.

I think you have it backwards

Drop table -> delete

drop table -> truncate

drop table -> DBA phone rings

Yep, they are different.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/23/2011)

SQLRNNR (6/23/2011)

They are?

I don't see the diff.

I think you have it backwards

Drop table -> delete

drop table -> truncate

drop table -> DBA phone rings

Yep, they are different.

Why monkey around? Drop Database saves so many steps.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Having been there I would say there is no such thing as a silly question. While I try not to give the full answer if i feel the person hasn't put enough effort I do try to make sure they are pointed in the right direction.

Frankly I believe in SQL as a technology and would be glad to help anybody who wants it.

Beside a few basic questions are worth it when u come across a Gem every once in a while.

Case in point

I recently learned that we could host database files on a Raw partition , I always assumed they would have be part of a file system , btw i have a newbie to thank for that.

Jayanth Kurup[/url]

• Jayanth_Kurup (6/23/2011)

Having been there I would say there is no such thing as a silly question. While I try not to give the full answer if i feel the person hasn't put enough effort I do try to make sure they are pointed in the right direction.

Frankly I believe in SQL as a technology and would be glad to help anybody who wants it.

Beside a few basic questions are worth it when u come across a Gem every once in a while.

Case in point

I recently learned that we could host database files on a Raw partition , I always assumed they would have be part of a file system , btw i have a newbie to thank for that.

I agree. There is no such thing as a silly question. There are only silly people asking me questions.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

Ah! Thank you, I didn't know this one.

There seems to be some limitation, though.

BTW, this THREAD stopped being related to the original question maaaany posts ago. Now it's a sort of watercooler thread. Welcome aboard!

At times, when I find incredibly messy questions, I am highly tempted to post an abrupt "Yes, they are". I managed to resist up to now. πŸ™‚

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (6/23/2011)

Jayanth_Kurup (6/23/2011)

BTW, this THREAD stopped being related to the original question maaaany posts ago. Now it's a sort of watercooler thread. Welcome aboard!

Is it watercooler or scuttlebutt?

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (6/23/2011)

Gianluca Sartori (6/23/2011)

....BTW, this THREAD stopped being related to the original question maaaany posts ago. Now it's a sort of watercooler thread. Welcome aboard!

Yes... @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Damn , I knew I should have read thru the previous 2757 pages πŸ˜€

Jayanth Kurup[/url]

Damn , I knew I should have read thru the previous 2757 pages πŸ˜€

Page 1384 is gold!

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

• SQLRNNR (6/23/2011)

Nah we are all here sucking on those frozen beer popsicles that Jeff hordes in his freezer.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Stefan Krzywicki (6/23/2011)

Page 1384 is gold!

Is that the default 10 posts/page?

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (6/23/2011)

Stefan Krzywicki (6/23/2011)

Page 1384 is gold!

Is that the default 10 posts/page?

Yes, but I also just picked a number in the middle at random. : -)

• Brandie Tarvin (6/23/2011)

SQLRNNR (6/23/2011)

....BTW, this THREAD stopped being related to the original question maaaany posts ago. Now it's a sort of watercooler thread. Welcome aboard!

Yes... @=)

water-butt?

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

Viewing 15 posts - 27,571 through 27,585 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply