Are the posted questions getting worse?

• hor_netuk (7/21/2011)

I know times are hard, but a job alert email subscription delivered me the attached vacancy today. For the record, I won't be applying. πŸ˜›

That salary can't be right.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (7/21/2011)

hor_netuk (7/21/2011)

I know times are hard, but a job alert email subscription delivered me the attached vacancy today. For the record, I won't be applying. πŸ˜›

You never know. They might tell you that they are non profit and can't pay for an employee... πŸ˜‰

• Ninja's_RGR'us (7/21/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (7/21/2011)

hor_netuk (7/21/2011)

You never know. They might tell you that they are non profit and can't pay for an employee... πŸ˜‰

So I wonder what kind of cut the recruiting agency gets?

• 1M %.

• Greg Edwards-268690 (7/21/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (7/21/2011)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brandie Tarvin (7/21/2011)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hor_netuk (7/21/2011)

I know times are hard, but a job alert email subscription delivered me the attached vacancy today. For the record, I won't be applying.

You never know. They might tell you that they are non profit and can't pay for an employee...

So I wonder what kind of cut the recruiting agency gets?

You know I think a lot of this is companies taking advantage of most people thinking that the economy is completely in the tank.

:cool:

"There are no problems! Only solutions that have yet to be discovered!"

• I'm curious. How many people subscribe to a job service (or keep in touch with job sites / recruiters) because they're currently looking?

Or do you just keep in touch just to keep an eye on the market?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (7/20/2011)

I'm curious. How many people subscribe to a job service (or keep in touch with job sites / recruiters) because they're currently looking?

I connect with recruiters through linkedin and also keep an old copy of resume out online to stay in touch with how the market is doing.

:cool:

"There are no problems! Only solutions that have yet to be discovered!"

• hor_netuk (7/21/2011)

Hornet

Steve Jobs gets paid about that amount per year. If this listing includes his level of perks, it would be worth it! :w00t:

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

I'm curious. How many people subscribe to a job service (or keep in touch with job sites / recruiters) because they're currently looking?

I'd love to see a list of those. What's your profile URL?

Every recruiter in central Florida seems to have my resume, and I get e-mails every couple of weeks about opportunities. Got one yesterday about an admin assistant position, because a recruiter messed up the boolean logic in his search (matched on "admin" but not on anything else because of a malformed "or" clause). I get actual DBA/BI listings about 2-3 times per month currently. All that from the job hunting I was doing last year.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

It isn't that I keep in touch with recruiters, it is that recruiters keep in touch with me. Most of the ones I use that have either gotten me interviews or jobs in the past call or email me at least once every 6 months to see if I'm looking. Sometimes they call to see if I know anyone that might suit a particular position and sometimes I do. Occasionally I call because I know someone who is looking for a position and want to see if they handle that kind of tech or a geographical area before I recommend them.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Well I'm currently looking so I'm very much in touch with the market at the moment!

Before I started looking I maybe checked every three 3 months or so. But didn't have a CV live.

Linkedin - does change the playing field though, as has already been said, they get in touch with you!

Rodders...

I think there are a lot that keep in touch just to keep in tabs with the market pulse.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• bopeavy (7/21/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (7/20/2011)

I connect with recruiters through linkedin and also keep an old copy of resume out online to stay in touch with how the market is doing.

This is pretty much what I do as well. I still get a pretty good flow of emails from recruiters for jobs I am not interested in, but I do still get regular notices of jobs I would be interested in case I decide to start looking. Oddly it does look like salaries (at least in BI) are going up, I may have to start looking and switch just to get a nice bump in pay.

• Ninja's_RGR'us (7/20/2011)

Jack Corbett (7/20/2011)

Quick comments on what I've read in catching up to about 100 posts:

Congrats to Lynn on the first grandchild.

Congrats to Jeff for the Exceptional DBA nomination.

Training:

There is definitely a training gap, but, I don't think there is enough work at this point to do it full-time. Most of the people I know who are working as consultants offer training as part of their consultancy, but it isn't their main income. If you can make enough as a consulant to offer a week of training every month or two you could probably do okay AND build the brand by offering consistent classes.

To the best of my knowledge Andy Warren isn't doing training classes at his place anymore, but is still doing mentoring. I think Brian Knight has rolled all his training into PragmaticWorks.

I think you skipped a few posts :w00t:.

I read them all, just commented on the few that I felt qualified and interested enough in to comment on.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

Viewing 15 posts - 28,276 through 28,290 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply