Are the posted questions getting worse?

• jcrawf02 (7/22/2011)

Tom.Thomson (7/22/2011)

GabyYYZ (7/22/2011)

And now for something completely different. Applies to DBA's as well.

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2011/07/lazy-sysadmin/[/url]

But it contains one big mistake: it claims that it's OK for developers not to be lazy. Any developer who isn't sufficiently lazy to want to avoid time spent on fixing bugs is a waste of space; any developer who isn't sufficiently lazy to make sure his system uses only a small part of available resources is a waste of space; any developer who is too stupid to write reusable code to avoid having to do the same job twice is an idiot; and so on - just like good admins.

True, computers are intended to allow us to be lazier / enhance our abilities[/url]. Anyone who is using them to be *busier* is doing it wrong.

Why limit that to computers?

The whole secret of humanity's success is that tools allow us to get better results with less effort. "Better results" can include both quantity and quality.

The rest of the species on this planet have to count on generations of mutation to improve their survival. We just improve our tools, and can control the improvements on them, getting the results of millions of years of evolution in sometimes as little as a few decades.

It tooks tens of thousands of millennia for turtles to evolve better shells. It took us a few generations to move from naked to wearing skins, and a few tens of thousand years to move from that to the M1A2 Abrams main battle tank. Literally thousands of times faster, and the results can hardly be compared (turtles are notoriously slower than tanks, for one thing, and the armor isn't really in the same order of magnitude).

So, why limit it to computers and those who administer them?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I just had a fun one. Told someone that they shouldn't run Backup log with truncate only as it breaks the log chain. So they reference an article that they say refutes what I'm saying. The article they linked to is one I wrote.

😀

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (7/25/2011)

I just had a fun one. Told someone that they shouldn't run Backup log with truncate only as it breaks the log chain. So they reference an article that they say refutes what I'm saying. The article they linked to is one I wrote.

😀

LOL!

Reminds me of a thread a while back where someone was arguing with Paul Randall over what DBCC CHECKDB would do in SQL 2000.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (7/25/2011)

Reminds me of a thread a while back where someone was arguing with Paul Randall over what DBCC CHECKDB would do in SQL 2000.

Yeah, that's just plain stupid. It's one of the main reasons why he doesn't post on the forums anymore.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GSquared (7/25/2011)

GilaMonster (7/25/2011)

I just had a fun one. Told someone that they shouldn't run Backup log with truncate only as it breaks the log chain. So they reference an article that they say refutes what I'm saying. The article they linked to is one I wrote.

😀

LOL!

:hehe: I remember that one! Quite funny to read. Paul Randal was a bit nasty, actually, even if he had (more than) a point.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Too many of these posters don't realize the level of expertise that they are getting here. Maybe you all need more intimidating titles like "Grand Intergalactic SQL Master" or something. 🙂 Or, at least displaying the alphabet soup might make one or two pause before challenging your advice.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

• mtillman-921105 (7/25/2011)

Too many of these posters don't realize the level of expertise that they are getting here. Maybe you all need more intimidating titles like "Grand Intergalactic SQL Master" or something. 🙂 Or, at least displaying the alphabet soup might make one or two pause before challenging your advice.

Alphabet soup doesn't help. Just a few weeks ago, someone we tried to help insisted on the opinion of Microsoft employees or "true" SQL experts.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• GSquared (7/25/2011)

GilaMonster (7/25/2011)

😀

LOL!

You guys have a link to that one? I need a good laugh!

• Brandie Tarvin (7/25/2011)

mtillman-921105 (7/25/2011)

Too many of these posters don't realize the level of expertise that they are getting here. Maybe you all need more intimidating titles like "Grand Intergalactic SQL Master" or something. 🙂 Or, at least displaying the alphabet soup might make one or two pause before challenging your advice.

Alphabet soup doesn't help. Just a few weeks ago, someone we tried to help insisted on the opinion of Microsoft employees or "true" SQL experts.

To be fair I've only encountered this request once in the 2-3 years I've been posting here regularly, so I doubt this is the mainstream train of toughts.

Link? Title? Please?

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (7/25/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (7/25/2011)

Link? Title? Please?

I think it's the one where Syed really got pummeled hard for using sysprocesses instead of the new dmvs.

The good news is that he seems to somwhow have disappeared since then.

OK: my rate is $300/hr.

If I cost as much as Microsoft I must be a "true" SQL expert. :hehe:

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Would it be OK to submit this as a QOD?

Question:

What's the answer?Answer choices:

It depends.

It doesn't depend.

What's the question?

I think there's a tpyo in here so I can only guess.

There are so many responses to today's (precedence) question that just bitch and moan about how you need to see the data to really know and completely ignore the obvous lesson that BitBucket proposed. I figure maybe I should give all those who want to prove they're so smart and can look/thnk "outside the box" a chance to get it out of their systems.

• mtillman-921105 (7/25/2011)

I've noticed my posts getting more "gravitas" attributed to them than they did before, since I added alphabet soup to my signature a while back. Most people don't know I added it as a joke, and definitely don't know what that alphabet stands for and that none of it is relevant to SQL Server knowledge, at least not directly.

(It all means things, and they're all true, but they are in no way relevant. Some of them are significant credentials in their appropriate context, but that context certainly isn't SQL Server.)

Property of The Thread

• john.arnott (7/25/2011)

Would it be OK to submit this as a QOD?

Question:

What's the answer?Answer choices:

It depends.

It doesn't depend.

What's the question?

I think there's a tpyo in here so I can only guess.

There are so many responses to today's (precedence) question that just bitch and moan about how you need to see the data to really know and completely ignore the obvous lesson that BitBucket proposed. I figure maybe I should give all those who want to prove they're so smart and can look/thnk "outside the box" a chance to get it out of their systems.

I love it! Send it to Steve!

I haven't bothered with a QotD in a long time, but I'd definitely hit that one!

Property of The Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 28,306 through 28,320 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply