Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Note to self: Turn off actual execution plan option before running a million counter loop.

Gaby

• GabyYYZ (11/18/2011)

Note to self: Turn off actual execution plan option before running a million counter loop.

Oh WHY?, does it crash somewhere :-D.

Edti how to make 2 typpos in1 owrd.

• Ninja's_RGR'us (11/18/2011)

GabyYYZ (11/18/2011)

Note to self: Turn off actual execution plan option before running a million counter loop.

Oh WHY?, doesn't it crashe somewhere :-D.

I saw what I had done, killed the transaction, but it was hanging. I HOPE it was writing to my desktop instead of the production server, so killed all connections from my desktop. It wasn't a brief moment of terror...fortunately, it's not a critical table.

Gaby

• :w00t::w00t::w00t:

Just passed 70-451. Now I have all exam pre-req's for 88-970 done... just not sure I'm ready for that one yet though.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (11/18/2011)

:w00t::w00t::w00t:

Just passed 70-451. Now I have all exam pre-req's for 88-970 done... just not sure I'm ready for that one yet though.

Congratulations! The MCM would be cool, but the $19K price tag is a bit tough to come up with.

• That's just too funny (today's post)!

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1208527.aspx

• Chad Crawford (11/18/2011)

The MCM would be cool, but the $19K price tag is a bit tough to come up with.

What $19 000 price tag? The knowledge exam is $500, the lab exam is $2000. The expensive part is finding good enough training.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (11/18/2011)

Chad Crawford (11/18/2011)

What $19 000 price tag? The knowledge exam is $500, the lab exam is $2000. The expensive part is finding good enough training.

I think Chad is thinking of the old way, where you had to go to MS for a 3 week training period. Even so, I believe that was $15K. But yep, the cost for the exam is "just" $500.

What might also be a consideration is the testing location... there are just two in all of VA (thankfully one is just 2 miles from work). Not sure where you can do 88-971 (lab) at - it's not showing up on Prometric's site yet. But... I've got a long way to go before I'm ready for either one of these.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (11/18/2011)

GilaMonster (11/18/2011)

I think Chad is thinking of the old way, where you had to go to MS for a 3 week training period. Even so, I believe that was $15K.

$18k (for normal people, MVPs got a substantial discount)

But yep, the cost for the exam is "just" $500.

The first exam. There are 2.

What might also be a consideration is the testing location... there are just two in all of VA (thankfully one is just 2 miles from work). Not sure where you can do 88-971 (lab) at - it's not showing up on Prometric's site yet.

There's none in Australia at all iirc. 1 in Africa (the continent of), it's 15 min away from me. Lab exam is at a secure prometric site, I suspect you call and ask.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (11/18/2011)

WayneS (11/18/2011)

GilaMonster (11/18/2011)

I think Chad is thinking of the old way, where you had to go to MS for a 3 week training period. Even so, I believe that was $15K.

$18k (for normal people, MVPs got a substantial discount)

But yep, the cost for the exam is "just" $500.

The first exam. There are 2.

What might also be a consideration is the testing location... there are just two in all of VA (thankfully one is just 2 miles from work). Not sure where you can do 88-971 (lab) at - it's not showing up on Prometric's site yet.

There's none in Australia at all iirc. 1 in Africa (the continent of), it's 15 min away from me. Lab exam is at a secure prometric site, I suspect you call and ask.

There's no way that kind of a price tag would ever be worth it to me. Getting a certification isn't going to increase my salary by $20K a year and it'd have to pay for itself in less time than that if I'm going to be getting multiple certifications.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Which is why they changed it from 3 weeks of training and exams to just two exams. Training's now completely up to you to figure out.

Gail Shaw

• Ninja's_RGR'us (11/18/2011)

That's just too funny (today's post)!

Well, I've seen something like what Isabella describe on a development toy server. :laugh:

But I can't imagine it on a proper test server, let alone on a production server. :w00t:

Tom

• L' Eomot Inversé (11/18/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (11/18/2011)

That's just too funny (today's post)!

Well, I've seen something like what Isabella describe on a development toy server. :laugh:

But I can't imagine it on a proper test server, let alone on a production server. :w00t:

Still funny.

Debug => Where's that damn trigger, no, function? no, recursion in this sp, no, errr yes after 10-60 minutes. 😀

• WayneS (11/18/2011)

:w00t::w00t::w00t:

Well done.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Ah - that is much better. I had a hard enough time with these, but it would be fun to give that a shot.

Viewing 15 posts - 31,876 through 31,890 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply