Are the posted questions getting worse?

• SQLRNNR (11/22/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (11/22/2011)

Stefan Krzywicki (11/22/2011)

Koen Verbeeck (11/22/2011)

What do you guys think of this as a first house?

http://passerelle.centris.ca/Redirect2.aspx?CodeDest=I2V&NoMls=MT8619554&Source=

In Belgium, that would be a cheap house :blink:

It certainly looks nice. Not really my style and it could use some renovation and garden work, but what a view! I wish I had a view like that, and my house costs 3 times more. (bleuh, stupid house market over here)

edit: had to brush up my French.

Looks great from the outside. Here in the Boston area, that much money would get you a parking space.

Here we think paying for parking is wrong and that 5$ / day is insanely high :-D.

I agree - $5 is high.

How are we coming on those 300 posts / day?

I think we need more pants jokes.

• Brandie Tarvin (11/22/2011)

Jack Corbett (11/22/2011)

I start a new job in less than 2 weeks and it is a telecommute. I need to buy a new monitor and chair for my office. Any recommendations? I have a limited budget for this.

Chair recommendation:

Multiple Point Adjustment Office Chair[/url]. Very comfy. I have two at home and they have saved my back.

As far as the monitor goes, are you using a PC or a laptop? Do you want flat screen or big monster? How many monitors will you be using (1, 2, N)?

I'll be using a laptop and this will be my main monitor and, for now, I'll use the laptop screen as my secondary monitor. I'm thinking a 23" flat screen is what's in the budget as they, in my limited research, are <$250

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• SQLRNNR (11/22/2011)

L' Eomot Inversé (11/22/2011)

Evil Kraig F (11/21/2011)

Tom: Christie Brinkley? I've seen that pose somewhere on one of the 80's models, but well, it's a bit common and tiny. Hard to determine a few details there... 😉

No, she's a decade older than Christie Brinkley.

Francoise Hardy

Correct!

By my reckoning, one of the 20th centuries best three French singers of non-classical music (the others were Georges Brassens and Edith Piaf). The first French pop singer to become internationally famous (neither Piaf nor Brassens sang pop) and my favorite of all pop singers.

Tom

• Jack Corbett (11/22/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (11/22/2011)

I start a new job in less than 2 weeks and it is a telecommute. I need to buy a new monitor and chair for my office. Any recommendations? I have a limited budget for this.

Chair recommendation:

Multiple Point Adjustment Office Chair[/url]. Very comfy. I have two at home and they have saved my back.

As far as the monitor goes, are you using a PC or a laptop? Do you want flat screen or big monster? How many monitors will you be using (1, 2, N)?

I'll be using a laptop and this will be my main monitor and, for now, I'll use the laptop screen as my secondary monitor. I'm thinking a 23" flat screen is what's in the budget as they, in my limited research, are <$250

Why not wait 1 extra week, do some over time and buy what you really need, or wait for the boxing day insane discounts?

I have a laptop and there's just no NEED for a 2nd screen (tho it's nice).

• Ninja's_RGR'us (11/22/2011)

http://passerelle.centris.ca/Redirect2.aspx?CodeDest=I2V&NoMls=MT8619554&Source=

It certainly looks nice. Not really my style and it could use some renovation and garden work, but what a view! I wish I had a view like that, and my house costs 3 times more. (bleuh, stupid house market over here)

Looks great from the outside. Here in the Boston area, that much money would get you a parking space.

Here we think paying for parking is wrong and that 5$ / day is insanely high :-D.

It is funny, parking at work is $150 a month. Commuter rail is around the same, but work pays for my parking, but won't pay for public transportation so I drive. If it were the other way around or equal, I'd probably take the train. As it is I just got a new Prius and get to enjoy traffic every morning.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

Chair recommendation:

Using different size screens can be a little weird, especially when they have different resolutions. I have a friend who's company was recently acquired by Google. When I told him I needed more screen space at work and was thinking of asking for a different or dual monitors he said "Are you thinking of a 30" or 2 25" monitors?" I was hoping for 2 21" or 19" monitors and was pretty sure I'd have to settle for 2 17" which is what happened. Funny how your perspective can change based on your company.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

• Stefan Krzywicki (11/22/2011)

It is funny, parking at work is $150 a month. Commuter rail is around the same, but work pays for my parking, but won't pay for public transportation so I drive. If it were the other way around or equal, I'd probably take the train. As it is I just got a new Prius and get to enjoy traffic every morning.

We're too cheap for traffic here... we're not fancy like that :hehe:.

• Ninja's_RGR'us (11/22/2011)

I lived in Columbus, OH for awhile, they're too small to have traffic with the road system they have, but they still manage to create it. I think they make up for their smaller size by driving like idiots.

I lived in Columbus, OH for awhile, they're too small to have traffic with the road system they have, but they still manage to create it. I think they make up for their smaller size by driving like idiots.

That we have ( 1 hour away drive )

I wish I had a camera on my dashboard. I could do a hybrid show like AMW (america's most wanted) + Canada's worst drivers.

I'm sure I'd get enough footage for a 1 hour show almost every week / month.

Chair recommendation:

Using different size screens can be a little weird, especially when they have different resolutions. I have a friend who's company was recently acquired by Google. When I told him I needed more screen space at work and was thinking of asking for a different or dual monitors he said "Are you thinking of a 30" or 2 25" monitors?" I was hoping for 2 21" or 19" monitors and was pretty sure I'd have to settle for 2 17" which is what happened. Funny how your perspective can change based on your company.

Yeah, I'm working on a single monitor now at the office and I hate it. Even with the smaller laptop monitor and the big monitor, I'll be better off. I typically use a second monitor more for communications/social media than "real" work. I do use it when I'm working in VS to float the tools.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

Chair recommendation:

Secondary Laptop Monitor. I got one for my birthday. Is very cool.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Chair recommendation:

Yeah, I'm working on a single monitor now at the office and I hate it. Even with the smaller laptop monitor and the big monitor, I'll be better off. I typically use a second monitor more for communications/social media than "real" work. I do use it when I'm working in VS to float the tools.

I have a 21" widescreen and a 19" at home and it is so annoying to come in to work and have to deal with the smaller monitors. I find myself using many more horizontal tab groups at work than when I dial in from home.

Go to some office furniture stores (Office Depot and Staples both have sections for it, and there are usually some actual office furniture local retailers around). Try various chairs in each. Make sure to sit in front of a desk that's got at least similar height to the one you'll actually use.

Then, if you're planning on using a laptop, also try some just plain old armchairs and overstuffed chairs, with laptop stands instead of a desk. There are stands that will hold the laptop over your lap in those types of chairs. There are also "tables" that used to be popular for watching TV from a recliner, which were designed to hold a dinner plate, cup, etc., so you could eat and watch in the living room. Hospitals use something similar for the bedside tables. Any of those can be made to work quite nicely for a laptop in a really comfortable chair. Main drawback is no writing space next to the laptop, like a real desk, but that may or may not matter to you.

So, try some options, see what you like, then see if it's in-budget. You are an IT worker, so over budget is kind of traditional anyway.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Budget?

What's that weird word :hehe:, never heard of it!

• GSquared (11/22/2011)

Go to some office furniture stores (Office Depot and Staples both have sections for it, and there are usually some actual office furniture local retailers around). Try various chairs in each. Make sure to sit in front of a desk that's got at least similar height to the one you'll actually use.

Then, if you're planning on using a laptop, also try some just plain old armchairs and overstuffed chairs, with laptop stands instead of a desk. There are stands that will hold the laptop over your lap in those types of chairs. There are also "tables" that used to be popular for watching TV from a recliner, which were designed to hold a dinner plate, cup, etc., so you could eat and watch in the living room. Hospitals use something similar for the bedside tables. Any of those can be made to work quite nicely for a laptop in a really comfortable chair. Main drawback is no writing space next to the laptop, like a real desk, but that may or may not matter to you.

So, try some options, see what you like, then see if it's in-budget. You are an IT worker, so over budget is kind of traditional anyway.

IKEA also has some nice office chairs.

And "standing desks" are all the rage right now, you might want to consider one of those. Two people where I work swear by them. A third tried it and gave up.

Viewing 15 posts - 32,086 through 32,100 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply