Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Bob Hovious (4/3/2009)

(groan) :pinch:

Watch out for flying pork chops too!!

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• :blink:

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Right! Time to bring in the HR department.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Bob Hovious (4/2/2009)

......If each of the men paid only 90 bucks (100-10) and 3*90 = 270, and the bellboy kept 20 for a tip, that's only 290 out of the original 300 dollars.

What happened to the other 10?

Man, do I feel old now. My dad gave me that riddle when I was 12 or so, but in his version three traveling salesmen paid $30 for the room and the bellhop kept a $2 surreptitious tip.

• john.arnott (4/3/2009)

Bob Hovious (4/2/2009)

......If each of the men paid only 90 bucks (100-10) and 3*90 = 270, and the bellboy kept 20 for a tip, that's only 290 out of the original 300 dollars.

What happened to the other 10?

Man, do I feel old now. My dad gave me that riddle when I was 12 or so, but in his version three traveling salesmen paid $30 for the room and the bellhop kept a $2 surreptitious tip.

Same here. I guess rooms are more expensive now. 🙂

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Yes guys, the original version is "What happened to the other dollar?"

Actually, I think the original version may go something like...

III centurions enter an inn and the innkeeper's son tells them that a room for the night will be XXX denarii...

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob Hovious (4/3/2009)

Yes guys, the original version is "What happened to the other dollar?"

Actually, I think the original version may go something like...

III centurions enter an inn and the innkeeper's son tells them that a room for the night will be XXX denarii...

Well it's definitely been around for a while. I know that Sam Lloyd told it and he died in 1914. And I doubt that he invented it.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• It's dead, Jim. Wake and afterparty to be held near Roy's place.

• It's just a flesh wound...

No, I think its just the weekend. Give it time, someone is sure to post here again. Heck, you just did and so did I!

• Have to admit that I started thinking that something is wrong with my email:-P

--------------------------------------------------------------
    To know how to ask questions and increase the chances of getting asnwers:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Bob Hovious (4/5/2009)

It's dead, Jim. Wake and afterparty to be held near Roy's place.

Hey Bob, Currently all party is canceled. Have some bad news with family. So I am not in Curacao. I am with my Mother.

We can have the party when I come back.

BTW, Steve, The connection is pretty good here in India, but to load the Forum page takes a bit of time. One thing I did notice was if I stop the loading of page and reload it, it come fast.

-Roy

• I noticed that a lot of the pages here slowed down like crazy when the prettier code blocks were added in. There's a script that formats them, and I get warnings from the browser about a long-running script, if the code blocks are very large or there are a lot of them on a page.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Roy, I'm terribly sorry to hear that. God bless your family in this time of trouble.

• Roy,

Hope things are well with you and my thoughts and prayers for your family.

• Same here, Roy. Our thoughts are with you.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 15 posts - 3,226 through 3,240 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply