Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I did hear back from my lead that it was passed on to the people that investigate this. We'll see.

• Okay... how many people here advocate the use of GOTO statements in T-SQL?

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob Hovious (4/11/2009)

Okay... how many people here advocate the use of GOTO statements in T-SQL?

Definitely not me. I prefer spaghetti on a plate, not in my code.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

I haven't used a GOTO in T-SQL in, I don't know, forever?

Last time I used a GOTO was in supporting a spagetti COBOL system that was like an octopus. It had its tentacles into everything by the time I left and people still kept talking about how easy it would be to replace that system. Guess what, they are still using it.

• I didn't even realize GOTO was part of T-SQL. I think the last time I used it was on a Vic-20.

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• I used to use it for error handling back in SQL Server 6.5 & 7.0. But I came out of the VB coding camp back then, so I did lots of messed up stuff.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• oops, I guess I forgot. I did use GOTO with VB6. (On Error Goto ______)

Alvin Ramard

• I don't believe I've ever used a GOTO in T-SQL, if I ever knew they existed. But today I learned that they "are not uncommon" in T-SQL. Fascinating...

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

I do, solely for error handling in SQL 2000. Since there isn't a TRY-CATCH construct in 2000, I emulate it with an IF @@Error != 0 GOTO ErrorHandler

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I didn't even know that GOTO existed in T-SQL until I had been programming in it for 2 years. I can see the possibility for its use as Gail has mentioned although I never did it that way. Beyond that I would ask, why?

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• GilaMonster (4/11/2009)

Bob Hovious (4/11/2009)

I do, solely for error handling in SQL 2000. Since there isn't a TRY-CATCH construct in 2000, I emulate it with an IF @@Error != 0 GOTO ErrorHandler

I agree... That would be the only thing that I'd use it for but, much like Try/Catch, I normally use a dedicated bit of error code for each snippet of code that needs error checking.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Well... I did it. Thank goodness they extended the deadline of PASS 2009 Session Abstracts. I'll be there one way or another this year.

I saw that Gail and Jack also made submittals. Looking forward to finally meeting some of you good folks.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (4/11/2009)

I saw that Gail and Jack also made submittals.

Grant also. He was a real early-bird and submitted before I'd even decided on titles.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Jeff Moden (4/11/2009)

Looking forward to finally meeting some of you good folks.

So am I. The nice thing is I'm not expecting to be selected so I feel no pressure. I'm planning on going regardless.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jeff Moden (4/11/2009)

Well... I did it. Thank goodness they extended the deadline of PASS 2009 Session Abstracts. I'll be there one way or another this year.

I saw that Gail and Jack also made submittals. Looking forward to finally meeting some of you good folks.

Excellent. I'm glad everyone is attending this year.

I'm getting in one way or another. If I don't get selected to speak, I might get in because of my work on the editorial committee. If that doesn't work, I'm a chapter leader so I can get in that way. But, all things being equal, I'd rather have the speaker ribbon on my name tag (assuming that's not ring knocking and I'll be receiving a salvo of pork chops).

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 15 posts - 3,316 through 3,330 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply