Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Gaby Abed (4/13/2009)

Changing planes in Amsterdam is not very stressful, provided you have at least a two-hour layover. I have a sister living there and sometimes, if the layover is long enough, I can easily pop out of the airport, have a nice visit with her, and pop back in plenty of time.

That's what I did 2 years ago on the way to Denver. I had an 8 hour layover in London. Took the Tube to central London, got a sightseeing tour, had lunch overlooking the river then took the Tube back to the airport

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Jeff Moden (4/13/2009)

Heh... crud... I just sent Tony an email saying that I may have to cancel the book. Flo just beat the hell out of a Tally table split using a While Loop, no less. I'm still doing some testing but things aren't looking real good for the Tally table on this one. With the possible exception of the "quirky update", not looking so hot for pseudo-cursors either.

BWAA-HAAA... I may also have to learn "C". She also just wrote a CLR that does a dandy split... 6 times faster than even her old/new SQL method. 'Bout time someone actually took the time to do that.

Hmmm... maybe it's finally time to retire. 🙂

Florian is a "she"?!? :blush: Man, it is so embarrassing to get that wrong...

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• RBarryYoung (4/13/2009)

I did the opposite with Lynn (Pettis) about a year ago. Of course since, I dated a female Lynn for 4 years back in high school/college, maybe I can be forgiven.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• RBarryYoung (4/13/2009)

Jeff Moden (4/13/2009)

Heh... crud... I just sent Tony an email saying that I may have to cancel the book. Flo just beat the hell out of a Tally table split using a While Loop, no less. I'm still doing some testing but things aren't looking real good for the Tally table on this one. With the possible exception of the "quirky update", not looking so hot for pseudo-cursors either.

BWAA-HAAA... I may also have to learn "C". She also just wrote a CLR that does a dandy split... 6 times faster than even her old/new SQL method. 'Bout time someone actually took the time to do that.

Heh... I might be the one that is wrong.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (4/13/2009)

Do you have a pointer to that thread Jeff?

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Y'all quit picking on my man, Florian. 😉

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• OK, I'm lost again. I'll pick up the Flo story when someone posts a link.

• GilaMonster (4/13/2009)

And what's the longest flight you've been on? I'm pretty sure after a 20 hour trip without changing planes you'll be saying a different thing.

Yeah, no doubt I would be. Um, let's see, 1.5 hrs to Toronto, 6ish hours to Vancouver. But that was in anticipation of a cruise to Alaska, so hardly stressful. Like I said, spoiled rotten. 😉

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• It's not a big deal, Steve. Folks have been referring to Flo as "she/her". I swapped a few cordial posts with Flo a couple of weeks back, so I just asked. Florian is a man's name in Germany.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob Hovious (4/13/2009)

It's not a big deal, Steve. Folks have been referring to Flo as "she/her". I swapped a few cordial posts with Flo a couple of weeks back, so I just asked. Florian is a man's name in Germany.

I have Florian as a man in my family tree. The family is of French origin.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• GilaMonster (4/11/2009)

Bob Hovious (4/11/2009)

Okay... how many people here advocate the use of GOTO statements in T-SQL?

I do, solely for error handling in SQL 2000. Since there isn't a TRY-CATCH construct in 2000, I emulate it with an IF @@Error != 0 GOTO ErrorHandler

Ditto.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• jcrawf02 (4/13/2009)

GilaMonster (4/13/2009)

And what's the longest flight you've been on? I'm pretty sure after a 20 hour trip without changing planes you'll be saying a different thing.

Yeah, no doubt I would be. Um, let's see, 1.5 hrs to Toronto, 6ish hours to Vancouver. But that was in anticipation of a cruise to Alaska, so hardly stressful. Like I said, spoiled rotten. 😉

Thanks for clarifying Bob. I wasn't sure if your last post was a generic use of my man or stating that Flo IS a man.

This is why I almost always use a name instead of pronoun ever since I referred to Saint Lynn as a female.

Edit: The quote was supposed to be Bob's last post,

It's not a big deal, Steve. Folks have been referring to Flo as "she/her". I swapped a few cordial posts with Flo a couple of weeks back, so I just asked. Florian is a man's name in Germany.

but the Quote button grabbed the one prior to it, and I didn't check.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• jcrawf02 (4/13/2009)

Um, let's see, 1.5 hrs to Toronto, 6ish hours to Vancouver. But that was in anticipation of a cruise to Alaska, so hardly stressful. Like I said, spoiled rotten. 😉

A 6 hour flight from here would get you as far as Sudan. Anywhere in Europe is at least 9 hours away. India I think is about 10, Australia (west coast) is around 8.

JHB to Cape Town (longest possible domestic flight) is just under 2 hours.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Alvin Ramard (4/13/2009)

Bob Hovious (4/13/2009)

I have Florian as a man in my family tree. The family is of French origin.

Florian is a common name for men in Germany, especially in Bavaria. It has been ranked 3rd place in 1982 and 1987 for "most popular first names in Germany". The name is latin-based, meaning: "the Magnificent".

Maybe the confusion comes from his nickname (Flo): Flo is also a short version of various female names, e.g. Florence, Flora etc.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• heh. There are times when I wish the longest domestic flight was that short in the US. Went up from Florida to Washington State to visit relatives over Christmas. Had some nice flights picked out with decent layovers, taking about 12 hours or so total (about 9 hours of flight). The oh so helpful airline decided to change the flight going back so that instead of starting in the mid-morning and getting home in the mid evening... the flight started in the evening and ended up getting home the next morning. I was not at all pleased to suddenly be doing red-eye flights with long layovers.

And the airline companies wonder why people hate them.

-- Kit

Viewing 15 posts - 3,346 through 3,360 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply