Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Kit G (4/17/2009)

It's all Al Gore's fault. Damn global warming!

Wonder if Al Gore is part of the Thread's plot to take over the world?

He must be... remember that he claimed to have invented the internet. 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Gaby Abed (4/17/2009)

Do not go gentle into that good Thread,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

I'm not sure, but I think Gaby just called us all Old . . .

No slight meant... 🙂

That being said, I'm 36 in a couple weeks, wondering when middle age will creep up on me.

BWAA-HAAA! I've got kids older than that! 😀

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Lynn Pettis (4/17/2009)

Steve Jones - Editor (4/17/2009)

It was 70F on Wed here!!!

Supposedly a foot today. only about 3-4" so far and slowing. Torn as I'd like to play baseball Sun, but if I can't, I wouldn't mind skiing!!!! :w00t::w00t::w00t:

Expecting 1" to 6" down in our neck of the woods (Fountain Valley) with up to 2' up toward Monument. Also, the storm system is expected to stay through Saturday with clearing on Sunday.

Hey, I got a day off from work, SNOW DAY!!

The only sign of snow here in Michigan today is the snow jobs I've been getting from management for the last 2 days.... about 30 feet worth.... that's just about as deep as their line of BS is. 😛

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Lynn Pettis (4/16/2009)

Jeff, I still have the PM where you said something about spewing soup as well. Remember the comment? She who walked on water because she knew where the rocks are.

Too many things have passed the nasal sceptum the wrong way and at very high velocity... no wonder I don't have any nose hair left.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• I'm not sure, but I think Gaby just called us all Old . . .

No slight meant... 🙂

That being said, I'm 36 in a couple weeks, wondering when middle age will creep up on me.

BWAA-HAAA! I've got kids older than that! 😀

I've come into being a DBA late in my career. That being said, I've noticed that becoming a DBA is not usually a first choice, not as exciting as Web Development. Will we still be around when the Cloud comes?

All hail the Cloud, It is Merciful and Just

Gaby

• Bob Hovious (4/16/2009)

You got extra points if it was a nasal coke spew.

You should get extra points... those suckers are painful !!

Pork chops... I don't even want to think about it. :unsure:

It's kinda like the movie "Total Recall".

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• I think he-who-should-just-go-away may be back. I wonder how he'll respond to my comment?

• Jeff Moden (4/17/2009)

The only sign of snow here in Michigan today is the snow jobs I've been getting from management for the last 2 days.... about 30 feet worth.... that's just about as deep as their line of BS is. 😛

Sounds like you need a snow blower equipped with a pork chop launcher.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

I think he-who-should-just-go-away may be back. I wonder how he'll respond to my comment?

Hard to tell - then again, who can even understand him when he's actually trying to be understood?

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Jeffrey Williams (4/17/2009)

Lynn Pettis (4/17/2009)

I think he-who-should-just-go-away may be back. I wonder how he'll respond to my comment?

Hard to tell - then again, who can even understand him when he's actually trying to be understood?

Oh, right! Like being comprehensible is any part of his agenda!

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I wonder if he will be able to put 2 and 2 together and realize he is in the same bucket of slop as that second contractor I just told him about when we were replacing our windows a few years ago.

I wonder if he will be able to put 2 and 2 together and realize he is in the same bucket of slop as that second contractor I just told him about when we were replacing our windows a few years ago.

But his product is one of a kind! It solves all the world's problems! It completely replaces the need for human minds in software development! And all of his competitors are secretly part of The Thread's plans to take over the world and wipe out the human race (well, only the annoying ones, but you get the idea).

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• secretly part of The Thread's plans to take over the world

GUS!!!! :w00t:

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! Next thing you'll be blabbing about the secret handshake. 😛

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• I wonder if he will be able to put 2 and 2 together

Hey Lynn,

I told your friend a long time ago that his problem is that he wants to engage in intellectual arguments with people who just don't care. If you say anything positive about SQL, his response is that you simply are too petrified mentally to understand. He won't respond to arguments about the impracticality of committing to a "product" due to business issues. He wants to keep the discussion solely on technical esoterica. To refute that on his terms, you would have to spend a lot of time becoming intimately familiar with his product and it's just not worth it. It's already a commercial failure and he's desperate to create some buzz about it. It's the most annoying advertising technique ever.

Just take a walk, admire the beautiful sand dunes, and ignore him. If he never gets any feedback into his private little drama, he'll go somewhere else for attention. 🙂

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob Hovious (4/17/2009)

I wonder if he will be able to put 2 and 2 together

Hey Lynn,

I told your friend a long time ago that his problem is that he wants to engage in intellectual arguments with people who just don't care. If you say anything positive about SQL, his response is that you simply are too petrified mentally to understand. He won't respond to arguments about the impracticality of committing to a "product" due to business issues. He wants to keep the discussion solely on technical esoterica. To refute that on his terms, you would have to spend a lot of time becoming intimately familiar with his product and it's just not worth it. It's already a commercial failure and he's desperate to create some buzz about it. It's the most annoying advertising technique ever.

Just take a walk, admire the beautiful sand dunes, and ignore him. If he never gets any feedback into his private little drama, he'll go somewhere else for attention. 🙂

But his constant yakking is spoiling the quite solitude of the desert. It is hard to enjoy its serenity with ugly shadow of Dataphor hanging on the horizon.

Be gone foul beast and leave me in peace!

Viewing 15 posts - 3,526 through 3,540 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply