Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Brandie Tarvin (9/27/2013)

Lynn Pettis (9/26/2013)

I was notified this evening that my position state side has been cut as part of company layoff. Unlike my fellow workers state side whose last day of employment is tomorrow, I still have a job here in Afghanistan. What I don't have is a job to come home to now. It looks like I will also be extending out here until February 2014 at this time as well (Yea me!! And yes, I am excited about this).

OUCH! And glad you are excited about this.

My ex-wife and I are getting back together. Yes, we are giving reconciliation a try.

Congratulations and best wishes.

Hey, I've been remiss in sending a care package. Going to remedy that shortly. Are there any toys or games you'd like sent in addition to food?

Food is good enough, thanks. I am trying to keep what I collect to a minimum. Really don't want to have too much to move to Bagram or home later. Trying to keep things expeditionary.

• Sean Lange (9/27/2013)

Luis Cazares (9/27/2013)

Today, I'm really pissed off with the database and network administrators. Because of the lack of good planning and best practices, instead of restrictions to our users permissions, they decided to block our access over the firewall. Now we can't verify our information, make any corrections (many of them derived from the policy that mandates to use NOLOCK on every table) or correct our processes during normal labor hours and will have to do them late at night (which won't count as extra hours).

I feel frustrated and want to borrow Jeff's cannon.

I hope you don't deal with anybody's money, or that any decision made from that system will have any impact on anything in the real world. What a horrible mandate. I worked as consultant once where the DBA mandated this...see my post on the previous page for the synopsis. What a timebomb.

You can loose all hope, because even if I had told them all the problems, the DBAs are not willing to change.

At least we recovered the access and I hope it won't be revoked again.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Lynn Pettis (9/27/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (9/27/2013)

Lynn Pettis (9/26/2013)

I was notified this evening that my position state side has been cut as part of company layoff. Unlike my fellow workers state side whose last day of employment is tomorrow, I still have a job here in Afghanistan. What I don't have is a job to come home to now. It looks like I will also be extending out here until February 2014 at this time as well (Yea me!! And yes, I am excited about this).

OUCH! And glad you are excited about this.

My ex-wife and I are getting back together. Yes, we are giving reconciliation a try.

Congratulations and best wishes.

Hey, I've been remiss in sending a care package. Going to remedy that shortly. Are there any toys or games you'd like sent in addition to food?

Food is good enough, thanks. I am trying to keep what I collect to a minimum. Really don't want to have too much to move to Bagram or home later. Trying to keep things expeditionary.

Seeing as you are literally in a tent in the desert, where's the hippo?

Steaks and porkchops good enough for food?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Luis Cazares (9/27/2013)

Sean Lange (9/27/2013)

Luis Cazares (9/27/2013)

Today, I'm really pissed off with the database and network administrators. Because of the lack of good planning and best practices, instead of restrictions to our users permissions, they decided to block our access over the firewall. Now we can't verify our information, make any corrections (many of them derived from the policy that mandates to use NOLOCK on every table) or correct our processes during normal labor hours and will have to do them late at night (which won't count as extra hours).

I hope you don't deal with anybody's money, or that any decision made from that system will have any impact on anything in the real world. What a horrible mandate. I worked as consultant once where the DBA mandated this...see my post on the previous page for the synopsis. What a timebomb.

You can loose all hope, because even if I had told them all the problems, the DBAs are not willing to change.

Then I would have to offer my opinion that not only are these idiots not actually DBAs they also are stubborn arrogant fools. This is so often the case when people come up with such moronic mandates. If it was this simple why would the hint even exist? It would just be the standard way the engine works for all queries. Hope your resume/CV is up to date when that bomb finally goes off. What a disaster!!!

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (9/27/2013)

Luis Cazares (9/27/2013)

Sean Lange (9/27/2013)

Luis Cazares (9/27/2013)

Then I would have to offer my opinion that not only are these idiots not actually DBAs they also are stubborn arrogant fools. This is so often the case when people come up with such moronic mandates. If it was this simple why would the hint even exist? It would just be the standard way the engine works for all queries. Hope your resume/CV is up to date when that bomb finally goes off. What a disaster!!!

Totally agree.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • I suppose that wouldn't be a bad question to ask prospective employers. When they say "Do you have any questions for us" I could come back with "Tell me about your coding and release standards."

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

I suppose that wouldn't be a bad question to ask prospective employers. When they say "Do you have any questions for us" I could come back with "Tell me about your coding and release standards."

*Makes note for future interviews*

Hey Brandie, have you gotten any emails from me or have they all gone to the spam folder again?

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (9/27/2013)

Hey Brandie, have you gotten any emails from me or have they all gone to the spam folder again?

They changed the email passwords on me and I've yet to get the new ones. Sorry about that.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Stefan Krzywicki (9/27/2013)

They changed the email passwords on me and I've yet to get the new ones. Sorry about that.

No problem, thanks. I know you've been busy.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Sean Lange (9/27/2013)

Luis Cazares (9/27/2013)

Sean Lange (9/27/2013)

Luis Cazares (9/27/2013)

I can be stubborn with the best of them πŸ˜‰

They want to try stupid mandates like that, then I can also create a few stupid mandates. :Whistling:

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (9/27/2013)

Sean Lange (9/27/2013)

Luis Cazares (9/27/2013)

Sean Lange (9/27/2013)

Luis Cazares (9/27/2013)

They want to try stupid mandates like that, then I can also create a few stupid mandates. :Whistling:

LOL. It is so frustrating when people won't at least listen to reasoning and have a rational discussion about stuff. When all else fails...do as the Romans!!!

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Luis Cazares (9/27/2013)

Sean Lange (9/27/2013)

Luis Cazares (9/27/2013)

As I've always said, "Sometimes you have to give people the opportunity to fail". That's not to be confused with setting someone up to fail. It comes from another favorite saying of mine... "A man forced against his will is of the same opinion still." Sometimes the only way people will learn is to let them fail on their own.

Do the absolute best you can to convince them of their error. If they refuse to be "saved", do the best you can to protect them from their mistake but do let them make the mistake. It takes a huge amount of patience but it's VERY effective especially when they realize that you have a fix to bail them out of their mistake and you didn't try to pull stripes with crap like "I told you so."

Sometimes, saving folks from their own mistakes is difficult. This NOLOCK junk is going to be very difficult to protect folks from. In this case, I'd make sure that I documented my efforts to convince people as to how wrong that is as a full blown CYA because it sounds like heads are going to roll when this goes haywire.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Sean Lange (9/27/2013)

SQLRNNR (9/27/2013)

Sean Lange (9/27/2013)

Luis Cazares (9/27/2013)

Sean Lange (9/27/2013)

Luis Cazares (9/27/2013)

LOL. It is so frustrating when people won't at least listen to reasoning and have a rational discussion about stuff. When all else fails...do as the Romans!!!

I've never understood this type of attitude from DBA's, Developers, Contractors, or Management. When the hell are people going to learn that they're all working for the same bloody company? I've quit companies where this kind of empire building and other stupidity takes place. Heh... and to be sure, that has severely limited the number of companies that I'll actually work for. πŸ˜›

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Sean Lange (9/27/2013)

When all else fails...do as the Romans!!!

Fall upon your sword? Fiddle while Rome burns?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Rawr! I did it! Worked a full 8 hours on the stupid query that made me quite grumpy yesterday, converting it into a much better SQL statement and routing it through SSRS instead. Execution time for the report on a heavy-workload project is about 10 seconds, so not overly bad; previously, the same project took 10-15 minutes, so this is much, much better. Kicked the NOLOCK junk out of the query, too, which seemed like it was there to offset the completely unnecessary burden created by the DISTINCT. Would've liked to solve the problem faster, but figuring the logic of the query out was infinitely less intuitive than I would've liked :hehe:.

Grant, it looks like the guy you were mentioning earlier has backed off on his stance on NOLOCK, so I don't think I need to DBCC TIMEWARP back to when his horse was still alive to give it a valid beating at present. Would you like me to chime in over there anyhow? I can round up a fresh batch of hamster poo for fuel for added accuracy πŸ™‚

- πŸ˜€

Viewing 15 posts - 41,476 through 41,490 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply