Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Thursday at Summit is going to be sooo funny. Just saying...

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (9/27/2013)

Thursday at Summit is going to be sooo funny. Just saying...

I hope you'll not leave us wondering ...

Tom

• Speaking of "Are the posted questions getting worse"?... I was going through some old responses to some posts and I came across this one that no one responded to...

After googling, i have learnt to open a new clr stored procedure project to convert rtf format. But as i told, i have no knowledge..So could you please guide me from here?

First, I congratulate everyone for not responding to that post because even I have my limits and had to make a conscious effort to not respond to it with less than subtle hints about using tools they don't know anything about and maybe a rant about having other people do their job for them.

The economy must be picking up because I'm seeing more and more "I have no knowledge {of SQL}" types of posts across the board. Apparently, more and more people are getting themselves hired with "no knowledge". I blame the interviewers for this type of thing.

Have you folks observed the same kind of thing over the last month or so or is it just me?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Here things are still getting worse (mining problems and government blunderings not helping), so I'm seeing less demand for competant (expensive) people and more 'oh, you've done a university course on databases, you're the new DBA/database developer' :angry:

Went to one interview a few weeks back (before the good one). Job was a reasonable fit, DBA/developer (though listed as DBA), 5 years experience, university, MS certs, etc. They were offering R20000 CTC per month (I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to covert that)

At least it was a short interview.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Well, my oldest daughter is in the hospital. She is having her second baby boy!!

• Lynn Pettis (9/28/2013)

Well, my oldest daughter is in the hospital. She is having her second baby boy!!

Congrats, Grandpa ^ 2

• Jeff Moden (9/27/2013)

Speaking of "Are the posted questions getting worse"?... I was going through some old responses to some posts and I came across this one that no one responded to...

After googling, i have learnt to open a new clr stored procedure project to convert rtf format. But as i told, i have no knowledge..So could you please guide me from here?

First, I congratulate everyone for not responding to that post because even I have my limits and had to make a conscious effort to not respond to it with less than subtle hints about using tools they don't know anything about and maybe a rant about having other people do their job for them.

The economy must be picking up because I'm seeing more and more "I have no knowledge {of SQL}" types of posts across the board. Apparently, more and more people are getting themselves hired with "no knowledge". I blame the interviewers for this type of thing.

Have you folks observed the same kind of thing over the last month or so or is it just me?

Have you seen the myriad of dynamic SQL related questions the last few days?

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (9/28/2013)

Here things are still getting worse (mining problems and government blunderings not helping), so I'm seeing less demand for competant (expensive) people and more 'oh, you've done a university course on databases, you're the new DBA/database developer' :angry:

Went to one interview a few weeks back (before the good one). Job was a reasonable fit, DBA/developer (though listed as DBA), 5 years experience, university, MS certs, etc. They were offering R20000 CTC per month (I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to covert that)

At least it was a short interview.

Ah... that might explain it. Maybe the economy is actually getting much worse and the employers know it, so they're offering low pay or, shifting gears, getting in-house front-end developers with little or no T-SQL experience to take the job.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• GilaMonster (9/28/2013)

Jeff Moden (9/27/2013)

Speaking of "Are the posted questions getting worse"?... I was going through some old responses to some posts and I came across this one that no one responded to...

Have you seen the myriad of dynamic SQL related questions the last few days?

Heh... between that and TempDB questions (and some of the answers, apparently... 50MB) by people who have "no knowledge", it's been a real hoot.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• I am officially a grandfather, again. Kassondra gave birth to her second son, Branson James on 9/28 @ 6:19 PM MDT!

• Congrats to you both, Lynn!

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Lynn Pettis (9/29/2013)

I am officially a grandfather, again. Kassondra gave birth to her second son, Branson James on 9/28 @ 6:19 PM MDT!

Congrats and many wonderful years for everyone!

I am officially a grandfather, again. Kassondra gave birth to her second son, Branson James on 9/28 @ 6:19 PM MDT!

Congratulations Lynn. Best wishes for the newborn and all your family.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2

Congrats!

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• I'm am totally afraid for this person...

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1499747-391-1.aspx

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 41,491 through 41,505 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply