Are the posted questions getting worse?

• jasona.work (10/1/2013)

Well, should be a rather interesting next couple days / weeks / (REALLY hope not) months with the US Government going into shutdown.

I was reading through some of the stuff last night. About 90% of NASA is shut down. They've got a launch window for the next Mars probe in 5 weeks. Miss that and it's another 2 years before the planets are in the correct positions for a minimum fuel transit again. 🙁

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Well, should be a rather interesting next couple days / weeks / (REALLY hope not) months with the US Government going into shutdown.

As some of you know, I'm now a contractor at a govmn't facility. Really weird watching so many of the government employees heading home already. I thought things were bad when people were furloughed for one day a week because of the sequester a couple months back, now it's going to be an all week long furlough...

Chap who sits opposite me here is visiting SF next week and has just found out that Alcatraz has closed. He may be the first to start a new trend by breaking in.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Please. For purposes of employment, some of us cannot comment on politics because no matter what side I argue for, I'll yack off a customer or six. Can we keep that stuff to a minimum on The Thread please? I'm already actively unfollowing people on twitter.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

As some of you know, I'm now a contractor at a govmn't facility. Really weird watching so many of the government employees heading home already. I thought things were bad when people were furloughed for one day a week because of the sequester a couple months back, now it's going to be an all week long furlough...

Frankly, if you aren't a government employee the sequestration had no real affect on you. I suppose that there are those who have a dependence on the federal government were affected, but nobody I know was.

It's actually sad that people have such a dependence on the federal government here in the US. A very strong federal government wasn't really what the founders of the country had in mind, in my opinion.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jack Corbett (10/1/2013)

jasona.work (10/1/2013)

Frankly, if you aren't a government employee the sequestration had no real affect on you. I suppose that there are those who have a dependence on the federal government were affected, but nobody I know was.

It's actually sad that people have such a dependence on the federal government here in the US. A very strong federal government wasn't really what the founders of the country had in mind, in my opinion.

The desire for a strong federal government is why we have the Constitution instead of the Articles of Confederation.

And there are plenty of indirect ways people have been affected by the sequestration and will be affected by the shutdown. It could just be that no-one you know let you know they were affected. We don't tend to talk about such things in the US unless we can't avoid it.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Grant Fritchey (10/1/2013)

Please. For purposes of employment, some of us cannot comment on politics because no matter what side I argue for, I'll yack off a customer or six. Can we keep that stuff to a minimum on The Thread please? I'm already actively unfollowing people on twitter.

Oops, posted my last comment prior to this being posted. Normally I avoid political conversations, but not for that reason. I avoid it because typically nothing positive comes from it. Which is why I tend to stay general like the last post and not discuss what I really think about specific issues.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

Please. For purposes of employment, some of us cannot comment on politics because no matter what side I argue for, I'll yack off a customer or six. Can we keep that stuff to a minimum on The Thread please? I'm already actively unfollowing people on twitter.

I try to avoid that here, I shall make a stronger effort after this request.

So how 'bout them Broncos!

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

Ditto that.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Sorry Grant, I had no intention of turning this into a politics discussion, but was only making an observation about what this is going to do to my week (namely, lots of sitting around, lots of looking for tweaks to the servers that otherwise would have to be done after-hours)

So, how about the weather, huh? Here in Michigan, we're supposed to hit 80F today (our average for this time of year is low 70s / mid 60s)

• So I was just informed that my monitors are being upgraded to 24".

I'm trying to figure out why. It's not like I told anyone I was having issues, or even requested them.

Still, not gonna argue. Just confused as to how I got on the upgrade list.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• ChrisM@Work (10/1/2013)

Chap who sits opposite me here is visiting SF next week and has just found out that Alcatraz has closed. He may be the first to start a new trend by breaking in.

San Francisco - visit Muir Woods and see some big trees.

• Brandie Tarvin (10/1/2013)

So I was just informed that my monitors are being upgraded to 24".

From what, and perhaps more importantly, are they upping the resolution as well? The latter's kind of important if you actually want to fit more stuff onto your shiny new display! 🙂

Grant Fritchey (10/1/2013)

Sorry Grant, I had no intention of turning this into a politics discussion, but was only making an observation about what this is going to do to my week (namely, lots of sitting around, lots of looking for tweaks to the servers that otherwise would have to be done after-hours)

So, how about the weather, huh? Here in Michigan, we're supposed to hit 80F today (our average for this time of year is low 70s / mid 60s)

No worries. Anyone can post anything they want. Free country and all that (which I really, honestly believe). I just can't respond. I can't say you're nuts. I can't say you rock. So, I spend a lot of time scrolling by stuff that I need to ignore. Just feels wasteful.

And the weather here is very "fall-ish"

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Brandie Tarvin (9/27/2013)

I suppose that wouldn't be a bad question to ask prospective employers. When they say "Do you have any questions for us" I could come back with "Tell me about your coding and release standards."

Hey Brandie... this is an awesome suggestion. I've just added it to my list of things that I ask when I'm being interviewed. (You know, I ought to blog that list.)

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• L' Eomot Inversé (9/27/2013)

GilaMonster (9/27/2013)

Thursday at Summit is going to be sooo funny. Just saying...

I hope you'll not leave us wondering ...

Well, lets just say that some folks will be under-dressed, and others will be over-dressed.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

Viewing 15 posts - 41,536 through 41,550 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply