Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Stefan Krzywicki (10/1/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (10/1/2013)

Stefan Krzywicki (10/1/2013)

I now know why people hire wedding planners. Wow, this is a lot of work.

Yes. Yes it is. And you'll kick yourself for forgetting that one important thing that didn't seem important now but will become important on The Big Day.

Oh good, this should help my current stress levels, thanks! : -P

I think I've got everything set. I'm just agonizing over the music playlists and then I should be done.

We did screw up by not including a dress code in the invitations and by not registering until long after the invitations had gone out. We've gotten a lot of questions about those two things, but it's getting handled.

FWIW, people will wear whatever they want and buy you whatever they want anyway, even the ones that asked you. Good call on the music, we hired a DJ who asked us what we wanted and then played his own crap anyway.

Important thing is (and try to get your fiancee to do this too) to HAVE FUN YOURSELVES! Screw the guests, if they aren't having fun celebrating your joy, then they shouldn't come anyway. Don't stress about that one important thing, nothing is important except for each other. (and the license)

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (10/1/2013)

Yes. Yes it is. And you'll kick yourself for forgetting that one important thing that didn't seem important now but will become important on The Big Day.

I think I've got everything set. I'm just agonizing over the music playlists and then I should be done.

We did screw up by not including a dress code in the invitations and by not registering until long after the invitations had gone out. We've gotten a lot of questions about those two things, but it's getting handled.

FWIW, people will wear whatever they want and buy you whatever they want anyway, even the ones that asked you. Good call on the music, we hired a DJ who asked us what we wanted and then played his own crap anyway.

Important thing is (and try to get your fiancee to do this too) to HAVE FUN YOURSELVES! Screw the guests, if they aren't having fun celebrating your joy, then they shouldn't come anyway. Don't stress about that one important thing, nothing is important except for each other. (and the license)

We did remember the license. : -)

We're telling people to wear what they like. SF/superhero garb (The invitation comic was a SF comic with a superhero themed text & a 1940s song lyric), medieval (the venue), formal (it is a wedding) or casual 'cause why not.

And yeah, I remember that happening with the music at a friends wedding. He specifically asked the DJ not to play certain songs, & the guy played them anyway.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (10/1/2013)

jcrawf02 (10/1/2013)

We're telling people to wear what they like. SF/superhero garb (The invitation comic was a SF comic with a superhero themed text & a 1940s song lyric), medieval (the venue), formal (it is a wedding) or casual 'cause why not.

And yeah, I remember that happening with the music at a friends wedding. He specifically asked the DJ not to play certain songs, & the guy played them anyway.

The whole DJ nonsense is exactly why I took care of the music for our wedding. I hired a local big band. Being a musician myself we made a solid connection and he understood where I was coming from musically. They let me join them for a few songs and a number of family/friends are singers so they also got to join in as the even progressed. My wife and her uncle have a long history with polka dancing so the band even learned a polka for us. Honestly it was the band that took the atmosphere over the top for us. The rest of the evening was pretty traditional stuff.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (10/1/2013)

jcrawf02 (10/1/2013)

The whole DJ nonsense is exactly why I took care of the music for our wedding. I hired a local big band. Being a musician myself we made a solid connection and he understood where I was coming from musically. They let me join them for a few songs and a number of family/friends are singers so they also got to join in as the even progressed. My wife and her uncle have a long history with polka dancing so the band even learned a polka for us. Honestly it was the band that took the atmosphere over the top for us. The rest of the evening was pretty traditional stuff.

Nice. I ran a wedding for my best friend around 15 years ago and did all his music for him, ripping it to CDs, worked really nicely.

One thing that would have been nice is if Emily and I had managed to take dance classes to do some swing dancing at the wedding. A nice foxtrot, jitterbug or lindy would have been fun.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Grant Fritchey (10/1/2013)

jasona.work (10/1/2013)

Grant Fritchey (10/1/2013)

Please. For purposes of employment, some of us cannot comment on politics because no matter what side I argue for, I'll yack off a customer or six. Can we keep that stuff to a minimum on The Thread please? I'm already actively unfollowing people on twitter.

Sorry Grant, I had no intention of turning this into a politics discussion, but was only making an observation about what this is going to do to my week (namely, lots of sitting around, lots of looking for tweaks to the servers that otherwise would have to be done after-hours)

So, how about the weather, huh? Here in Michigan, we're supposed to hit 80F today (our average for this time of year is low 70s / mid 60s)

So, I spend a lot of time scrolling by stuff that I need to ignore. Just feels wasteful.And the weather here is very "fall-ish"

As opposed to the discussions on DBCC TimeWarp, hamster poo, katanas, pigeons versus network traffic, etc...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (10/1/2013)

jasona.work (10/1/2013)

Please. For purposes of employment, some of us cannot comment on politics because no matter what side I argue for, I'll yack off a customer or six. Can we keep that stuff to a minimum on The Thread please? I'm already actively unfollowing people on twitter.

Sorry Grant, I had no intention of turning this into a politics discussion, but was only making an observation about what this is going to do to my week (namely, lots of sitting around, lots of looking for tweaks to the servers that otherwise would have to be done after-hours)

So, how about the weather, huh? Here in Michigan, we're supposed to hit 80F today (our average for this time of year is low 70s / mid 60s)

So, I spend a lot of time scrolling by stuff that I need to ignore. Just feels wasteful.And the weather here is very "fall-ish"

As opposed to the discussions on DBCC TimeWarp, hamster poo, katanas, pigeons versus network traffic, etc...

Those discussions are vitally important!!!!

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• L' Eomot Inversé (9/27/2013)

GilaMonster (9/27/2013)

Thursday at Summit is going to be sooo funny. Just saying...

I hope you'll not leave us wondering ...

No No - we're not wondering. We will be doing :-D:hehe:

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Jeff Moden (9/27/2013)

Speaking of "Are the posted questions getting worse"?... I was going through some old responses to some posts and I came across this one that no one responded to...

After googling, i have learnt to open a new clr stored procedure project to convert rtf format. But as i told, i have no knowledge..So could you please guide me from here?

First, I congratulate everyone for not responding to that post because even I have my limits and had to make a conscious effort to not respond to it with less than subtle hints about using tools they don't know anything about and maybe a rant about having other people do their job for them.

The economy must be picking up because I'm seeing more and more "I have no knowledge {of SQL}" types of posts across the board. Apparently, more and more people are getting themselves hired with "no knowledge". I blame the interviewers for this type of thing.

Have you folks observed the same kind of thing over the last month or so or is it just me?

Yes, yes we have. It's not just in the forums or social networks. But that is the case everywhere.

Learn Extended Events

• Lynn Pettis (9/28/2013)

Well, my oldest daughter is in the hospital. She is having her second baby boy!!

Congrats

Learn Extended Events

• GilaMonster (10/1/2013)

And if you want details, come to the WIT lunch on the Thursday.

I'll be there. A bit scared, probably, but I'll be there.

• wolfkillj (9/30/2013)

Jack Corbett (9/30/2013)

GilaMonster (9/27/2013)

Thursday at Summit is going to be sooo funny. Just saying...

Okay, I need some more info on this one. I don't see anything on the schedule that funny going on Thursday.

Uhh . . . Kilt Thursday, maybe?

There will be Kilts.

There will be a WIT luncheon.

There will be SQLKaraoke somewhere (whether on the schedule or not, it will happen).

Use the force young padowan, and you will figure out what will be soooo funny starting Thursday afternoon.

Learn Extended Events

• Grant Fritchey (10/1/2013)

jasona.work (10/1/2013)

No worries. Anyone can post anything they want. Free country and all that (which I really, honestly believe). I just can't respond. I can't say you're nuts. I can't say you rock. So, I spend a lot of time scrolling by stuff that I need to ignore. Just feels wasteful.

And the weather here is very "fall-ish"

Can you say "You nuts rock"?

or

"Y'all rock like nuts"?

Learn Extended Events

• Paul White (10/1/2013)

GilaMonster (10/1/2013)

Good.

I'll probably be late to the WIT lunch. I have a commitment in the Community Zone for part of the lunch.

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (10/1/2013)

Paul White (10/1/2013)

GilaMonster (10/1/2013)

Good.

I'll probably be late to the WIT lunch. I have a commitment in the Community Zone for part of the lunch.

I'm on the panel this year, so being late is not an option. Don't know what nuggets of wisdom they expect me to impart, but whatever...

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (10/1/2013)

SQLRNNR (10/1/2013)

Paul White (10/1/2013)

GilaMonster (10/1/2013)

Good.

I'm on the panel this year, so being late is not an option. Don't know what nuggets of wisdom they expect me to impart, but whatever...

Stand up in the middle as if to make an announcement and commence the "fun"?

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 41,566 through 41,580 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply