Are the posted questions getting worse?

• SQLRNNR (10/1/2013)

Stand up in the middle as if to make an announcement and commence the "fun"?

Nope. But have something in mind.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (10/1/2013)

SQLRNNR (10/1/2013)

Stand up in the middle as if to make an announcement and commence the "fun"?

Nope. But have something in mind.

Ok, then maybe I need to contact Karla and switch my commitment. 😎

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Stefan Krzywicki (10/1/2013)

Sean Lange (10/1/2013)

Stefan Krzywicki (10/1/2013)

jcrawf02 (10/1/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (10/1/2013)

I now know why people hire wedding planners. Wow, this is a lot of work.

Yes. Yes it is. And you'll kick yourself for forgetting that one important thing that didn't seem important now but will become important on The Big Day.

Oh good, this should help my current stress levels, thanks! : -P

I think I've got everything set. I'm just agonizing over the music playlists and then I should be done.

We did screw up by not including a dress code in the invitations and by not registering until long after the invitations had gone out. We've gotten a lot of questions about those two things, but it's getting handled.

FWIW, people will wear whatever they want and buy you whatever they want anyway, even the ones that asked you. Good call on the music, we hired a DJ who asked us what we wanted and then played his own crap anyway.

Important thing is (and try to get your fiancee to do this too) to HAVE FUN YOURSELVES! Screw the guests, if they aren't having fun celebrating your joy, then they shouldn't come anyway. Don't stress about that one important thing, nothing is important except for each other. (and the license)

We did remember the license. : -)

We're telling people to wear what they like. SF/superhero garb (The invitation comic was a SF comic with a superhero themed text & a 1940s song lyric), medieval (the venue), formal (it is a wedding) or casual 'cause why not.

And yeah, I remember that happening with the music at a friends wedding. He specifically asked the DJ not to play certain songs, & the guy played them anyway.

The whole DJ nonsense is exactly why I took care of the music for our wedding. I hired a local big band. Being a musician myself we made a solid connection and he understood where I was coming from musically. They let me join them for a few songs and a number of family/friends are singers so they also got to join in as the even progressed. My wife and her uncle have a long history with polka dancing so the band even learned a polka for us. Honestly it was the band that took the atmosphere over the top for us. The rest of the evening was pretty traditional stuff.

Nice. I ran a wedding for my best friend around 15 years ago and did all his music for him, ripping it to CDs, worked really nicely.

One thing that would have been nice is if Emily and I had managed to take dance classes to do some swing dancing at the wedding. A nice foxtrot, jitterbug or lindy would have been fun.

Stefan - congratulations. Be sure to take the time during the day to have fun. Don't let the whirlwind of the day go by and wonder what happened. Recognize it as a special day and enjoy yourselves.

Also remember that after all the planning, details and cash you put into the day, what isn't planned by that day isn't going to get done. At that point, do what you're there to do, have fun and let someone else worry about the details.

• I'm seriously thinking about using the Technet forums, especially the SQL, a lot less. Mods flagging their posts as possible answers without a reply back from the original poster, mods (yes, MODs) basically insulting someone who admitted they weren't a SQL person but were handed a SQL where someone detached a DB, then deleted the TLog, and now they need to fix it.

Poor guy didn't even know what SSMS was and when he asked where to run a command, one of the mods came back with this gem:

You don't know where & how to run a SQL statement ... ? Unbelievable ...

So nice...

• Report them.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Thanks. I initially held off on doing that, kind of felt like bringing gun to a hammer fight...

• jasona.work (10/1/2013)

Thanks. I initially held off on doing that, kind of felt like bringing gun to a hammer fight...

Don't hold off. Mods are supposed to be above all of that. They're actually supposed to put a stop to such a thing. If they're the instigator of such a thing, then they're not doing their job correctly and need to be reported.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (10/1/2013)

jasona.work (10/1/2013)

Thanks. I initially held off on doing that, kind of felt like bringing gun to a hammer fight...

Don't hold off. Mods are supposed to be above all of that. They're actually supposed to put a stop to such a thing. If they're the instigator of such a thing, then they're not doing their job correctly and need to be reported.

+10

I'd report them in a flash.

Learn Extended Events

• Yeah.

I should've mentioned in my reply to Gail, I have hit the "Report as abuse" button on them...

Not at all. The mods have that position to keep order and ensure that users are helped. If they're abusing their position, then need to be removed, it's a betrayal of trust.

Gail Shaw

• paul.knibbs (10/1/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (10/1/2013)

So I was just informed that my monitors are being upgraded to 24".

From what, and perhaps more importantly, are they upping the resolution as well? The latter's kind of important if you actually want to fit more stuff onto your shiny new display! 🙂

I'm almost tempted to call this misuse of "resolution", but I guess it'now become so common that it has to be consudered legitimate.

My point is that I imagine the monitor resolution will already be at 96 dpi and will remain there. That of course will allow more to fit onto the bigger screen that di onto the smaller one with the same resolution

But as I said, the use of "resolution" to mean "fimension in pixels of the screen" has become so common that there's no longer any point in arguing about it.

Regards from the boring grey haired old pitb who remembers the days when resolution didn't mean size.

Tom

• WayneS (10/1/2013)

L' Eomot Inversé (9/27/2013)

GilaMonster (9/27/2013)

Thursday at Summit is going to be sooo funny. Just saying...

I hope you'll not leave us wondering ...

Well, lets just say that some folks will be under-dressed, and others will be over-dressed.

What? Are you suggesting that a canibal Feast is planned, with long pig in various dressings?

Tom

• GilaMonster (9/29/2013)

*sigh*

🙂

I would say sorry - - ut I'm not 😀

Tom

• L' Eomot Inversé (10/1/2013)

WayneS (10/1/2013)

L' Eomot Inversé (9/27/2013)

GilaMonster (9/27/2013)

Thursday at Summit is going to be sooo funny. Just saying...

I hope you'll not leave us wondering ...

Well, lets just say that some folks will be under-dressed, and others will be over-dressed.

What? Are you suggesting that a canibal Feast is planned, with long pig in various dressings?

I like that idea.

We could have a Luau in the main hall. We just need some people to volunteer to do the Haka (or some similar tribal dance).

Learn Extended Events

First of all, there's nothing wrong with being over-armed. Need I refer you back to the spud gun? 😀

Second, report them. I don't even use the MS forums because of the degrading and rude garbage I've seen posted, not to mention that they don't even get to the answer. I know this is only my experience alone, but they left a strong impression.

Viewing 15 posts - 41,581 through 41,595 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply