Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I saw "Wolverine" last weekend, Gail. I thought it was better than the last X-Men movie as well. Of course, there were fewer characters so it could actually spend some time on character development. Now that CGI has gotten to the point to where special effects alone won't carry a movie, maybe we will start getting some good stories.

I will wait for a few more people to see the movie before discussing what I really enjoyed about "Star Trek".

... and yeah, Grant. I'd just write that one off.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Grant Fritchey (5/11/2009)

Well to get the thread back "on topic" (as if), this one has managed to raise my blood pressure with his/her response.

Suffice to say. I'm done.

Someone needs to respond with: "Well Excuse ME!!!!"

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• I'd crack a joke about only wanting SQL Server info from black belts, but I'd be reading from Itzik, Kalen, Gail... I'm not sure who else. No worries there.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Here's one I've about given up on. I haven't convinced the author of a recent SSC article that it's a poor practice to do a datetime range comparison with BETWEEN. He/she insists that it's "cleaner" to specify the end point with a seconds/milliseconds value of 59.997, rather than change the comparison to use < the next minute.

Thing is, I'm not sure that it's right to leave it in an "agree to disagree" state, expecially since the original code was posted with the implied imprimatur of being an SSC article. {sign}

• Jonathan Kehayias (5/11/2009)

Bob Hovious (5/11/2009)

Thanks, Steve.

I agree, Roy.

You are an unbeliever, Johnathan?

Glad to see you're thinking ahead, Alvin.

Hey Lynn, do you think we'll make 5K this month?

P.S. Did anybody else see the Star Trek movie over the weekend? I thought it was great.

I am not an unbeliever, but I am an unsubscriber. I removed this from my email list many months ago because it kept flooding my inbox. ...

Heh, I made a separate mail folder and filter just for this thread. 🙂

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Grant Fritchey (5/11/2009)

Well to get the thread back "on topic" (as if), this one has managed to raise my blood pressure with his/her response.

Suffice to say. I'm done.

Heh. Frankly, I thought that one was a non-starter from the first paragraph. 😛

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• john.arnott (5/11/2009)

Here's one I've about given up on. I haven't convinced the author of a recent SSC article that it's a poor practice to do a datetime range comparison with BETWEEN. He/she insists that it's "cleaner" to specify the end point with a seconds/milliseconds value of 59.997, rather than change the comparison to use < the next minute.

Thing is, I'm not sure that it's right to leave it in an "agree to disagree" state, expecially since the original code was posted with the implied imprimatur of being an SSC article. {sign}

Don't worry about it. You made your point, and others can benefit from it.

Not only, "you can't win 'em all", but "some aren't worth the fight".

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• John, feel free to rebut with your own article. We can link the two together.

• David Burrows (5/11/2009)

Oh and don't forget Scotty 😀

And did anyone notice that anyone beaming down to a planet wearing red (except Scotty of course) was always killed off :w00t:

Of course. There are MANY Star Trek jokes about "Red Shirts" and their life expectancy. Of course, the Red Shirt was there to tell you it was important, cause someone was gonna die. And if he made it past the first commercial break... wow, special Red Shirt.

And Scotty was spared the curse of the Red Shirt cause his had the gold of his rank (or perhaps just because such a curse would NEVER dare affect anyone with a Scottish accent!) Or maybe cause his branch was Engineering and their red shirts were made of different stuff from Security's red shirts.

The jokes (and theories) abound.

-- Kit

• Q: What's a Red Shirt's favorite color?

A: We don't know... they keep dying off before we can ask them.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• OK, heard from Andy. Didn't get any props. He thought he'd get a few things, but his budget was blown in 17 seconds, so he stopped bidding.

• Steve Jones - Editor (5/11/2009)

OK, heard from Andy. Didn't get any props. He thought he'd get a few things, but his budget was blown in 17 seconds, so he stopped bidding.

Cheapest item I recall was a girls dress for about 900.00 USD.

• Bob Hovious (5/11/2009)

I saw "Wolverine" last weekend, Gail. I thought it was better than the last X-Men movie as well....

Of course, one of my favorite lines, in response to the general's plea to aid his country: "I'm Canadian!"

Our one good superhero (okay there's Alpha Flight...but they're not Wolverine).

Gaby "Eh"bed

Gaby

• Kit G (5/11/2009)

David Burrows (5/11/2009)

And did anyone notice that anyone beaming down to a planet wearing red (except Scotty of course) was always killed off :w00t:

Of course. There are MANY Star Trek jokes about "Red Shirts" and their life expectancy. Of course, the Red Shirt was there to tell you it was important, cause someone was gonna die. And if he made it past the first commercial break... wow, special Red Shirt.

And Scotty was spared the curse of the Red Shirt cause his had the gold of his rank (or perhaps just because such a curse would NEVER dare affect anyone with a Scottish accent!) Or maybe cause his branch was Engineering and their red shirts were made of different stuff from Security's red shirts.

I remember when TNG first started, there was this whole "controversy" as to why the shirts switched colours. Red used to be engineering and gold command, but they flipped (no one really cared about the blues). Ahhh...those were the days, I actually had an Enterprise technical manual and briefly had in my posession the Klingon/English dictionary.

But not anymore... (<-- he adds hastily) 😀

Gaby

• Kit G (5/11/2009)

David Burrows (5/11/2009)

I thought the whole point of the special red shirts for security was that they were designed to draw fire away from everyone else. Hence, greater security for everyone else.

My favorite bit about the movie so far is from

The Onion. (Link plays video on opening, if that matters to anyone at work or whatever.)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 15 posts - 4,261 through 4,275 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply